1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Relationship with MIL SIL deteriorating

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Iamagoodgirl, Jul 14, 2014.

1. Iamagoodgirl

Iamagoodgirl Platinum IL'ite

May be honeymoon period is over not with husband but with MIL SIL.MY SIL made life hellish by living in my home for more than 3 months.I adjusted and was nice to her though i was going crazy inside.In last few days i tried my best to avoid her as i was nearing my breaking point i was scare i would shout either at my DH or at my SIL for all crap.This girl has nerve to taunt me after all adjustment i did for her and her lil girl.

Then came relief my MIL left me and husband alone for more than 2 week.I though gr8.But then on weekend she showed up without notice and went directly to the kitchen kept showing me my mistakes.Why this is lying in fridge you should have thrown this away.Dont put vegetables this way.Fruits should be cover with napkins blah blah blah.I was shocked and wasnt even able to reply back as i was caught without guards.Then i came to know she called my mom about how she is worried about leaving every responsibility on DIL as i am newly married,not yet prepared to handle everything alone,to which my mom replied " she can do that,you dont worry she is used to handling house alone since i was working on higher post before i retire".So this was my MIL's reaction :bonkon my mom's reassurance.I didnt know my MIL is so possessive about home that i would drove her nut.

I am planning to retain some of the power in this house.I am figuring out how to do that though, as she want me to play her assistant all the time.She just says you can cook whatever you want but when i actual started cooking in the morning she started waking up at 6 o clock too cook and if i come to kitchen she told me its ok i will do chapaties.God damn this women is.I didnt know she is that insecure about her hold on home.

2. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

Ha! It always fades... You will soon establish an equilibrium. Just demand respect. When random criticisms come up, the best response I've discovered is a bored sounding, "I'm handling it my way." I'll repeat the same line every time the critic expects a response from me. And I shall continue doing what I am doing instead of scrambling to do to the bidding of any of the highnesses.

And if anything rude is thrown your way, just widen your eyes, make eye contact and say, "That sounds a bit rude. I hope you didn't mean to say that and meant to phrase it differently." Roll your eyes; give a smile-less I-don't-care look and continue doing what you were doing. It helps put people in place without too much confrontation.

You want to do stuff in the kitchen, then, when someone comes to interfere, delegate. Figure out what you *have* to do and what someone else can do for you - wash up, chop veggies, make dough, get jeera from the store whatever. No need to make it into a power struggle. Be casual. Any unwanted suggestions, "I'm handling it my way" is the solution. Or "I want to experiment. Why don't you wait outside."

2 people like this.
  3. nikitamjain

nikitamjain Silver IL'ite

Most mils who have not been out to work and have solely been managing their households are quite obsessive about their homes, daily chores and maintenance. Don't be surprised if they expect u to keep a cup also at a certain angle. Yup, mil is that kind of species, cannot help! Strictly don't do 2 things:
    1. Don't confront her because she will get defensive and outraged as well. Subtly tell her that u will manage household work and she is free to do other things now, she has worked hard for quite long now, she should relax etc :)
    2. Don't bring it up with your husband. It will simply cause friction between u two because your husband cannot speak between mother and wife, it will lead to further severe problems. Instead, focus on finding peace within yourself and handling the situation yourself. If your mil still says do xyz like this, simply agree and say ok as u say! What u do later is your wish :D

1 person likes this.
  4. nikitamjain

nikitamjain Silver IL'ite

Power struggles -bah.. Why don't mils realize, saas bhi kabhi bahu thi!

5. Iamagoodgirl

Iamagoodgirl Platinum IL'ite

I dont mind having her hold on kitchen but its really but its affecting my health.She puts lot of oil in subjies and on roties too.Roties looks more like puries.She make roties and keeps them in open so not to dry she apply lot of oil from both side.Same is with subjies.I have put on 5-6 kg weight since i married and its droving me nut now.My skin is getting dull to and there is suddenly lot of pimples showing up.
    That was the reason i told her i will cook in the morning so atlist will get healthy food atlist once a day.

6. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

I agree. Been there. Done that. Sweetly keep repeating, "I'll make my own stuff. Don't worry." And do it your way.

7. Anamika99

Anamika99 Gold IL'ite

Dear OP,

Above two things are absolutely right. I have learnt it hard way as there was no support like this forum when i got married.

About Oil and cooking thing....simply saying you cannot have such food nicely is a way to go. Old generation belives in oil and ghee a lot....i have this struggle with my MIL on an off. She find a way to feed me food with ghee in spite of me being badly overweight. They think Ghee and oil is needed for joints as lubrication. They do not say that in too many words...but all the senior citizens i know...i have heard this in many ways many time. So that could be reason behind ur MILs cooking too.

If u r working....just eat a little bit of what she cooks and at work get healthy food.

So i m guessing 'impacting my health' u meant to convey about body and not brain right?

8. jigisha321

jigisha321 Gold IL'ite

Kitchen is the palace where reigns the queen..atleast MIL-s think that...my MIL does and it seems so does yours..

If it is effecting your health be politely firm about it...use words like ' I must' and 'I will' instead of 'May I' keeping your tone low...they work wonders...when I need to cook something I have used these words and usually they have worked...on such occasions she has kept her mouth shut and refrained from giving unsolicited inputs...

Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
  9. shobhamumbaikar

shobhamumbaikar Gold IL'ite

couldn't agree more...

10. silvertulip

silvertulip Platinum IL'ite

Dear OP,

MILs will always be insecure of DIL and letting go of her control over the house! Its been almost 4 years now, still my MIL will give me instructions and try to teach me how to cook, how to ensure house is clean, how to manage maid, how to treat relatives and guests blah blah..
    And yes, things have to be kept in certain way as she says!
    1. If ur MIL is going to stay with u for few months/weeks, then let the drama go for sometime and act nice.
    2. You cook as per ur preference. If she cooks or gives instructions to put more oil, tell her u cant digest oily food, u are getting acidity and doctor asked u to take plain food. If MIL wants she can add oil in her food as per her choice or u will add it.
    3.Don't bring in ur DH, ur MIL will create issues on this and try to get his sympathy. So act nice but do things ur way with MIL. Listen but do it ur way. Let MIL cook for herself if she is not liking ur cooked food! I am sure u r smart enough to implement it!