1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Lunch Ideas - Creating Balanced Vegetarian Meals

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by Shanvy, Dec 13, 2013.

1. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Today morning had a glass of coffee, followed by brunch: 2 chappatis, cauliflower-carrot-capsicum veg in yoghurt gravy.

Tea time: Mango-banana-fresh dates smoothie with honey.

Dinner: Was torn between oats (having come in from the rain and wind) and a sandwich. So decided I would have the best of both worlds :)hide: :p) and had oats with a slice of cheese and two spoons of mornings veg. It was ever soooo filling.

BH has bought some ice cream for me. Have put it away and am trying not to think of it. No, no way I will succumb to it now. It is nearing midnight. Such villainous snacking is not allowed at this hour! Period!

7 people like this.
  2. sridevi1977

sridevi1977 IL Hall of Fame

IMG_20140709_145054.jpg

My First Lunch plate here...

Oatmeal mixed with yogurt and uppu Naarthangai( dry pickle)
    dal
    cabbage stir fry
    onion and zucchini pakoda(broiled )

And Of course I prepared Gulab jamuns and I ate 2 pieces after lunch.
    I fried pakodas for kids and put some portion for me in the small oven and tried with zero oil. Came out crispy and good. Did n't have the feel of left out in the house.

10 people like this.
  3. sridevi1977

Would like to click my dinner plate rather than lunch plate since I need more control and quantity limitations at dinner than lunch for weight loss. Is it ok Shanvy?

I will click when ever I can and have the mood to do so...
    Any way excited to post my first lunch click!
    How is it?
    Rajini style....cool! ah?

Sorry girls, I am not bragging, just super happy to see my plate here...that's it.

4 people like this.
  4. sridevi1977

View attachment lunch.jpg
    Another lunch plate: some day last week- which I clicked.

chapati
    okra fry
    tofu gravy
    keerai masiyal

8 people like this.
  5. indirank

indirank Silver IL'ite

Hi shanvy, i have read and seen so many of your posts. everything about you is nice. The way you reply to everybody s questions is worth appreciating.i tried your lemon oats recipe. it was yum. I am surprised by one thing. your thali usually does not include roti or rice. so what is the main course for you? and also how you make subzi wo oil? no seasoning for that? me and DH both want to loose wieght and tring to eat less oil and diet food at home with a absolute no to sweets and deep fried items. so if you tell me how you make subji wo oil it will be very helpfull.

1 person likes this.
  6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

bhu, do take care.. if you do get pain in back with stress/strain it means there is something there. like in my son's case a strain because of wrong posture and sitting issues. get yourself evaluated once..then you will know how to take care when your pain attacks.. i know oils helps so do massage. have you tried keeping fermentation..using heating pad. but most effective fermentation would be using a cloth in which cooked rice/atta is tied..heat a tava. you keep this potli on the tava..and give a fermentation as can be taken by the person. this is very effective.
    even giving yourself heat fermentaion in different positions will help. like we usually lie down on the pad or heat source..for my son he was asked to lie on a pillow to his chest and the pad was to be place on his back..simple changes address different groups..
    and as laks mentioned in another post here epsom salt helps. sadly with water shortage we don't have tubs to soak ourselves. but you can still take epsom salt water fermentation or bath with epsom salt. they definitely relieve the pain to a good extent.

the reason i hoards spicy powders, instant powders, chutney are because of this simple reason. not the mood but not finding the energy to do it when the pain is debilitating. so for me it is always a easy vegetable, rice mixed with one of the above. i make them at home, they are free of preservative and the blessing is my kids understand. keep milagu kuzhambu, pulikachal, thogaiyal for the days you are not able to do things. make a simple sabji.

thanks bhu. i had made mixed vegetable last week. ds does not like the thick stalks. i had kept a small floret and the stalks. yesterday made it with freshly ground pepper and little salt. i make fresh tiffin in the night but will use the left over sabjis/gravies and sambhar along with available things.i do make vegetables depending on the need.I always have dosa batter,roasted suji, roasted vermicelli in stock. so the days i can't find time or feel tired i make do with upma that takes me just 5-10 minutes with water boilngon one burner same with vermicelli. yesterday the kids wanted to have hot rice with the rest of the vathakuzhambu so mwed some papad and gave them. today i fast. for the kids i make something that they enjoy. noodles, pasta,dhokla or like today buns. i have been missing yeast baking and the moment i picked yeast had to give it a try..so dinner is buns and soup

no hard and fast rules..just take it one day at a time.

Attached Files:

6 people like this.
  7. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

don't forget to appreciate his cooking. just like how we need a little appreciation husband do need it.

1 person likes this.
  8. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

wonderful damini..when we change, we inspire the whole family to change..good go girl.

and i burst out laughting at that butterscotch balls..that is my favorite flavor and i did buy it yesterday and i went and peeped into the freezer if i should open it..then controlled myself and have left it there..what do i do..icecream or something else..what were you planning to do.

i click on my ipad or phone and then reduce size on photoshop. though it is time consuming, i think it as a giving back for all the love,encouragement and motivation i gain from all of you.

2 people like this.
  9. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

do have a banana or some fruit and don't wait till brunch satchi. if you are on medications you will start having acidity if you have late brunches. since you eat bananas having a banana would be safe and good option.

having both..good one..and now did you have that icecream...

2 people like this.
  10. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Shanvy is just the op not the owner of the thread sridevi. and i am super happy.
    do it. maybe we should change it as indian ideas- attempting a balanced vegetarian meal so that people eating rice can also participate..see the thread evolved..earlier it was south indian then indian and now we change..what say buddies..

lovely plate..and good to have you here.
    We are also super happy to have you here and that too posting your plate..

4 people like this.