1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The happiness of Death!

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Apr 25, 2014.

1. Vysan

Vysan Gold IL'ite

Dear Sri,

I came to IL after long long time... Nice to read your thread.. It touched a raw nerve... Some people suffer due to illness in their last few days/years... The people who love them at times really feel... Death is better than sufferings... I have seen my Mom suffering in her last days...

When people run around in terms of accumulating material posessions... including me.. we forget that... nothing is going to be there permanently... which includes us... and we are not going to caryy anything with us... We may say I need to do for my kids/grand kids etc... But at times... do they really need it... So, I always believe take time to enjoy what you have earned or achieved... Spend more time with family and friends...

so, Guruji, we should know when to say enough is enough!... and enjoy what we have got...

Great... Have a nice day... With your blessings!!..

Veda

2. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

What a pleasant surprise to have you here, my dear Veda! It has been ages since you put in your appearance here.

You say death is better than sufferings but let me give you an instance of a dying person postponing his death to suffer more! In the Kurukshetra War, when Bhishma was pierced by Arjuna's arrows, Bhishma gave up his battle knowing his end had come. He had obtained a boon called 'Ichcha Mrityu', that is to be able to die whenever he wanted. As this incident happened in Dakshinayana, he wanted to wait till the dawn of Uttarayana, a sacred time for dying, and requested Arjuna to make a bed of pointed arrows for him to lie down awaiting his death.

Lying on a bed of arrows till his death was Bhishma's own choice. He could have awaited his death in a much better ambiance considering the great respect he enjoyed both with Pandavas and Kauravas but he chose a painful way of exiting this body. It was because of Bhishma's terrible vow that finally resulted in the battle. He had to stand for Adharma in the battle because of his vow. He felt helpless and perhaps guilty. It was perhaps to atone for spending all his life on the side of Adharma that he chose to suffer his way to death.

If we all know when to stop, that will be prudence of the highest order. 'Enough is enough' is easier said than done. Spending more time with family and GOOD friends will certainly help us to retain our sanity!
    Sri

1 person likes this.