No Chat or SMS style words please!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Induslady, May 12, 2008.

1. Deepi

Deepi Senior IL'ite

Hi Induslady,
    Thanks for the announcement. I had been using these kind of abbreviations so far. But can understand that it affects the quality of our site. Will make it a point to not to use them henceforth.
    Thanks,
    Deepi.

2. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Dear IL Team,
    thank you very much for this announcement. I was feeling very bad when I see such words- fly (for family). Sometimes these give away wrong meanings too.
    We all can improve our language and spelling when we write complete words. I do not like to cut and deform a language. Thanks a lot for this step.
    I am sure our members will all follow this.

3. BhargaviChakravarthy

BhargaviChakravarthy Bronze IL'ite

Dear induslady,
    It is indeed a good step and method to alert us.Many a times i don't understand what DH or BTW mean.Sometimes i feel like clarifying with the concerned person.But thankfully you have come up with the solution.Great.Keep going.

One more thing i wanted to convey is IL(indus ladies) is one which fills our mind with useful facts.In addition to that,our vocabulary and language command shows a markable difference as we keep communicating,posting feedbacks,threads etc.I feel this announcement really showcases our improvements in the language.

BC

4. Sushmavarala

Sushmavarala Senior IL'ite

I agree with your Announcement about using the SMS/chat style of messaging. Some times it requires searching for the meaning of such short forms. Apart from that I request you to look into the issue of vernacular posting and also request you to look into the issue which Krishnamma has raised. A thread has 90 posts off it only the first one is the one that contains information where as all others are appreciation messages. In order to get information, we still need to go through the 90 posts. I do not want to hurt who have written such messages( i too must have written some) but an effective solution needs to be worked out for these type of messages. I request friends here to look into this aspect.Thanks,Sushma

5. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Dear Malathy,
    While I fully agree with you about not using SMS/chat style abbreviations in posts there are some short forms which ought to be allowed. Typing husband, mother-in-law, father-in-law etc. every time we mention them in a post ( as we dont usually give their names here) is cumbersome and time-consuming. So it would be good if we have a list of accepted acronyms that are allowed in this community and a place where this list are available for the reference of new (and not-so-new) members.

Vanathi.

Last edited: May 22, 2008
  6. Induslady

Induslady Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Vanathi, I understand what you mean. Yours is indeed a very good idea and agree that we should do that. I started a thread to that effect. Please update all your suggestions on what should be acceptable abbreviations in IL in that thread. I will consolidate and then update the first post as a running list.

7. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Thank you for accepting my suggestion.

Vanathi.

8. chanjes

chanjes New IL'ite

Hi Girls,
    This is my first day with the site and i really apriciate and respect the way things are handled. Feels great to be a part of this site.
    Regards.
    jes

9. dcsekar

dcsekar New IL'ite

Dear All ! whats big deal about sms or chat style words being used? why shud'nt we use it when the whole world is behind such short forms? Aaare Yaar, please do learn such words? Am aganist this notification.

dcsekarComputer Typing

10. gourisankar78

gourisankar78 Senior IL'ite

Dear Indus ladies,

I am new in this sight.To day only I have gone through your announcement.I also agree with this announcement.I had been using these abbreviations through my comments.This is a very good information to alert us to keep the standard of our English, otherwise we will forget the actual spelling of each word.Thank you for guiding us to such a good path.

Regards,
    Thank you.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2008