1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How do I become an excellent cook the way my husband wants?

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by shaa, Jun 5, 2008.

1. PadmajaEdwin

PadmajaEdwin New IL'ite

Dear Shaa,

Congratulations to u and our best wishes for ur long and happy wedding life.

Come on shaa, why r u worrying too much on cooking. U just take a survey of some 100 people. More than 90 will say we never cooked before marriage. Nowadays girls r studying and later working till the time of marriage, they have less exposure to cooking. Most of the girls r professionals and they would have spent their time in hostel. Then where comes cooking???? So don't worry and don't feel inferior.

Life is learning through experiences. For the first few times probably we may go wrong. After sometime we can rectify the problem and we can make it correct or in our own style. So don't worry. For example take my case, I was married on 26th May 1993. Since 1984 i was in hostel and i came home only on 19th May 1993. Then imagine how i would have learned cooking. Often my mom used to scold me, i would have rather give birth to a Ulakkai (the vertical bar used for grinding............). But within 15 days we came to chennai and started our life there. I suffered in the initial period ofcourse, later learned to cook well - either learned from colleagues or friends or relatives, now i am able to handle the cooking session wonderfully. So don't worry dear, u r going to be alone with ur husband. Just think and dream of the day u can join with him and slowly u can learn. I am damp sure no man will shout at the wife (atleast in the early years!!!!!!!!) for cooking. Don't worry, i can expect ur post within few months saying u r doing wonders in cooking.

Try to get some receipes from ur MIL as she is a good cook. Just ask the favourite dishes of ur husband and take a note of them. U can manage very well. My best wishes,
    Padmaja Edwin.

2. pallavi_tarani

pallavi_tarani New IL'ite

Hi,

All ILs are given right advices to you for learning cooking.

Please follow it , aprart from these I would like to give some more suggestions

1) You can purchase cooking books
    2) First try to learn basic things of cooking then go for special dishes
    3) Try to understand to features for vegetable and grossery items like ladyfinger it use to cook in diffrent way,
    4) Also note down for preparing various dal's which type of tadaka is necessary. Like for Mung dal - Jira is required, for Tur dal- mustered is required etc.
    5) Take a tips from your MIL about likes and dislikes about your husband
    6) Take with you vairous spices from India
    7) Try various dishes by yourself only.
    8) Visit various internet sites regularly to get tips and new receips.

To learn cooking 2 months are enough . Do not worry If you have problem while preparing alone then phone call is with you.

Bye
    TC

3. kalaisiva

kalaisiva Senior IL'ite

Hi.....
    When I read ur writings I was so shocked as I got da same experience..I didnt get chance to be in kitchen till 21 then went to UK for my higher edu..There also I chose only western foods. When I got married My MIL didnt want me to trouble so no chance at all went for dinner n lunch outside....Life went well for first month after marraieg. Then I got my visa . when I landed over here then i felt bad of not knowing any cook items....
    My hubby is same as urs but he never asked me any......mpstly we went out in week ends...But slowly I felt guilty ...Coz home made foods are far better for health...then i tried cooking from so many webs...my mom..my MIL...before i cook i ask my mom how to do by using particular vegetable.....
    slowly again and again ......time went now I am bit better than before ...my hubby wonders and now he is asking me hy plz make this and that...u know sumtime I feel why i have learnt cooking.......just kidding....Cooking likes an art....u can show all ur talent.......slowly we can catch their tasty buds....

No art comes perfect at right time....Everything needs time to come as best. Dont worry u will get it.....Sure u r wonder.......If u r tamilian plz see arusuvai.com
    its tamil web having all.....and also vahrehvah.com which has video too....try it...sure u will onday take a class cooking to us....

Last edited: Jun 6, 2008
  4. ranivasan

ranivasan Senior IL'ite

Hi there,
    First of all Accept my best wishes for happy married life! U know what i didn't know any cooking except to make tea, and keep rice before marriage. Only child finished my masters and worked year and i was married off. My husband is great cook and good eater and mil very good cook. You know i was married into different community and didnt know my style or theirs howz that? My mil said don't worry my son is great cook he will teach u everything.. U atleast have 2 months and here for me i had to come in 3 weeks.In the 3 weeks learnt basics from mil and when he was at work experimented and now all say am great cook including my DH. He is very critical and getting good food from him is not easy.. So,dont panic and u will learn it girl.

5. prettywomen123

prettywomen123 Senior IL'ite

Hi

I just thought I will post my experiences with cooking. Its been a month since I am married now. I wa sliving in India and everything used to come to my dining table by my mom. I never entered kitchen. I came to UK few yrs back and was living with my relatives so no cooking there too. Now after marriage I moved here. 2 weeks I was living alone as my husbands visa was under process. This 2 weeks- first day I went and purchased rice dint know how to make it. My next house neighbour who happened to be an asian came to my kitchen and made biryani for me. She said have this for the next 2 days. I just watched her cooking and she told me how to make rice. After 2 days I called her for help again and she instructed me to make rice and she was watching me cook. The rice came out well with out being like a gum. I was so happy and jumped saying ' I know to make rice now' . Then I had already got books from India when I went for my marriage this yr. I just had egg, tomato , onion and the curry paste and I made an egg curry. Like this I slowly started. Looked at internet sites vaahrehvah.com,bawarchi.com and video sites to c how they prepare food.Like that I learnt.

Now its 4 weeks. I have learned to make pulav, biryani, rice, egg curry, chicken curry . I have to learn to make sambar, rasam and some other curries.So my suggestion is to look at video sites and then experiment with basic ingredients. I think the curry powders u get in India have instructions take that with you when you go abroad. My mum made her own curry powder for me and gave which I am using.

Hope this helps.
    Ta

6. shaa

shaa New IL'ite

Hi everybody,

Thanks so much for all the wonderful wishes and the encouraging words. It felt so good that I'm not alone, and so many of our IL friends have gone through the same phase in their lives and emerged succesful. I'm very happy to share with you all, that as my first attempt, I tried doing veg pulao ( with my MIL's guidance of course !!! ) and lo and behold,....it came out yummmmy. This has defenitely given me the confidence and a renewed interest to work on my culinary skills further. Went and bought a whole bunch of Mallika badrinath's books as well. I find her recipes very practical and workable.

Once again, thanks a tonne for all your support and good wishes,Bow
    L,
    Shaa.

7. PadmajaEdwin

PadmajaEdwin New IL'ite

Congrats shaa, Keep it up. If u have the interest and will power u can be successful. Carry on. Padmaja Edwin.

8. gisjul

gisjul Senior IL'ite

Hi dear,
    I was in the same situation just like you.
    Need not worry, but i loved to cook right from the begining but didnt know some of the dishes. My MIL is an excellent cook. I learnt a little from her and the rest i cut out lots of cut outs from the magzine and take print outs from the internet. first learn to cook simple food like dal & rice. try cooking the same recepie again and again to improve the quality of the dish. I used to cook the dal and rice my way but my MIL cooks better than me so i tried to cook the same thing again and again and now my husband says it is good. :yes:
    But im still trying to improvise on other delecacies.
    The first thing is you need to have the interest to learn and patience to cook. Time will slowly teach. If you just try to cook for the sake of cooking it will make no sense.:exactly:
    All the best !!!!
    gisjul Chillout!

9. yenetishashi

yenetishashi Senior IL'ite

hi shaa,

my advise for u is that when we r staying in some other place ,out of india,we get very less vegetables ,,,,,so wereever u r going...i think u didnt mention it,, so ask ur husband about the frequently available vegetables and then learn and note down what all items u can prepae with them as if u get bendi suppose u can make fry ,curry etc ...
    so if u learn those initially it will help if u prepare one day of each item ,by the time the veg turn comes u can prepare dal or gravy with the same veg in between once in awhile u can prepare jeera rice ,veg pulau and so on ...by this days goes smoothly

more over u r newly married and going newly to join ur hubby ,so many of his friend will invite ...there if u like something thenand there u can ask them the preparation and try out.....
    so dont worry at all
    hope u liked my bit of advise,
    cheers shaa,
    shashi.