1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Home makers of yester years - my mother and grandmother

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by iyerviji, Jul 4, 2014.

1. iyerviji

iyerviji Finest Post Winner

Reshmi's and SGBV's thread about homemakers brought me memories of mothers of yesteryears , that is my mother and grandmother's time who did not have the facilities which wehave today. Most them were in joint family and there were so many children those days.

In our house we were five children, three brothers and two sisters. My grandmother was my mother's mother, since she did not have a son she stayed with my mother only and we all used to think her as our mother because my mother was very simple and like a child and could not do without her mother. My mother used to assist my grandmother in cooking. They both used to get up at 5 , 5.30 a.m. and finish the cooking before7 a.m. Those days there were no Fridge, no cooker, no grinders or mixers. They had attukkal, ammi , ezhundiram. They used to first take bath then only do the cooking , even if they are not well they will take bath. Both my mother and grandmother never used to allow us to do any cooking as both were there and grandmother used to say anycase whole life is there to be in the kitchen, you can learn whenever you want, now you concentrate on yur studies and study well and when we started working that time she used to say you must be tired working whole day so y ouneed rest. My grandmother used to cook whatever we like . My second brother used to like sevai very much and she used to make it often on Sundays , it was so difficult to make in sevai nazhi but still she will make. She was expert in cooking and kai murukku she used to make it very nicely. For my sister's marriage she collected the vessels all from the woman who used to bring steel vessels. Except coffee filter everything else she brought from her 0nly. Those days rice has to be cleaned because stones will be there . For my sister's marriage all the rice she only cleaned.

We never used to have breakfast , school days we used to have lunch at 9 a.m. and go to school then take some snacks for afternoon which will be mostly idliwith milagapodi with oil spread on that which used to be yummy. On holidays we all used to eat together at 10 a.m. only early morning coffee , then at 2 .00 pm with coffee and some snacks, then at night by 8 pm we used to have dinner , my mother used to serve , we were never allowed to touch anything and my mother and grandmother used to have later.

My father had a hotel , after he lost that , he had to struggle to bring us up. So my brothers after X started working and studied in night college and became graduate. In the last days my father suffered from cancer and died. That time only my elder brother was married. We got married later and missed our Dad very much. My grandmother after my sister's delivery suffered from cancer and she also died.
    Atleast my mother enjoyed little facilities with us. She saw all of us getting married and she also looked after my children and was very happy being with the children. She was sick only for three days, we did not know what is the sickness also and on the fourth day she died.

Now all of are well settled and enjoying the modern technology and miss our parents and grandmother very much. Though they were happy in their own way but feel sad that they could not enjoy what we are enjoying at present

12 people like this.

2. Saisakthi

Saisakthi IL Hall of Fame

Sister Viji,

There was contentment in life yesteryears unlike today, with all these technologies we are growing lazier and also keep looking for more comfort.

Ladies and families of your grandmoms/moms era knew to live with what they had but did not crib much, Thanks for sharing.

Have a great week end, Hope you have settled in your shifted apartment, take care.

SAIRAM

1 person likes this.
  3. iyerviji

Sai dear wow what a surprise , I am so happy to receive your first fb and like which I cant say in words. You know how happy I get when I get immediate response for my thread and this thread though I wanted to write a lot but then it will become boring for others to read so stopped .

You are right Sai dear though they did not have the facilities and technologies whcih we are enjoying but they were contended in life. Whereas we with all the facilities also we are not so happy because now a days when we buy a house we have to buy so many things then only people respect us. Today we are facing so much health problems in young age and in my husband's family many have died after crossing fifty.

Today also one friend had come to see me , first of all I was surprised because she came to the 3rd floor and as she is fat she was sotired. Then she started asking questions , how much you pay for this house, it is more what you pay , you can get tworoom and kitchen for 13000/-. I told her for us one room, kitchen is enough for us. Since my husband was sitting in the front room she said let us go and sit in teh balcony. Then she told you could have put a fan here. I told her we are retired people and for us two this is enough, for which she said what you will do when you chldren come , I told her that time we will do something. I told her we arehappy with whatever we have and dont want luxurious life.

Thanks once again Sai for making my day with your first fb.

1 person likes this.
  4. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Viji,
    Sure home-makers of yesteryears are active and contended with the gadgets tehy had and worked their way to be healthy, easily.
    But today's gadgets eventhough make life easier, for someone like me, it drives me to be lazy..haha.

Sriniketan

1 person likes this.
  5. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Dear viji,
    Your snippet drives home memories of our life in a joint family of 25.Very strenuous yet contended life.
    Jayasala 42

1 person likes this.
  6. iyerviji

Bhargavi dear thanks for visiitng my thread. True today's gadgets have made us lazy.But you are so active and a boon to your family

7. iyerviji

Jayakka dear ya I have read about your joint family in your thread, true though those times were strenuous yet contended