1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My 10 month old getting bored of rice recipes

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by Aaradhana, Jul 3, 2014.

1. Aaradhana

Aaradhana New IL'ite

Hi friends,

I am a working woman and I have a 10 month old baby girl. My parents are taking care of my baby. She was underweight because of less mother feed so as per doctor's advice I started semi solids at her 4th month itself. I am giving her vegetable rice and keerai rice alternatively. Both are cooked with dhal. I also give her plain dhal rice twice a week. So her routine is like one day veg rice, one day keerai rice and the next day dhal rice. She used to eat them really well but now I think she is getting bored. She is not eating rice properly. Any help on rice varieties would really help. I searched a lot of topics on food but could not find much rice related recipes. Any guidance would really help.

By the way, apart from rice, I also give her cerelac, nutritive and banana powder kanji which she loves. Only problem is with rice. I am sure if I give her some varieties, she will start eating well.

Thanks in advance
    Dhana

2. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

Hello,

How about introducing other healthy foods - like barley/ quinoa/ broken wheat/ vermicilli as the base? You can chop veg and prepare it like a kichidi/ pulao.

Try new stuff like pasta - it is easy and quick to make.

Also vary the types of lentils you give her. Use different herbs like dill, methi, mint to flavour the lentils.

Give her steamed vegetables which she can eat on her own.

She could also eat bread cut into strips on her own.

Give her a variety if fruits cut into strips that she can munch on.

around ten months is when kids realise that they have the power to reject / spit out what's being shoved into their mouths! So, let her feed herself. Will help a great deal. Introducing a huge variety by this point is extremely important since quite quickly they will start rejecting new tastes and textures just because they aren't used to it...

2 people like this.
  3. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Aaradhana, its a misconception that only rice keeps our kids tummy's full. She is probably getting very bored because you have been giving her mostly rice for lunch/dinner.

Apart from what guesswho mentioned above, you can try the following (which are still rice based):

1. Idly
    2. Rice noodles

Now, I do understand that you may want to mash it before you offer it to her but see if she likes it.

Steamed veggies with a hint of flavor, cut fruits into interesting shapes etc and offer it to her. Keep close so that she is experimenting the texture/tase with your supervision.

1 person likes this.
  4. Armaity25

Armaity25 Silver IL'ite

Hi.Actually I came across this idea a few days back.I hope it will be useful.
    Mix the dal,rice and veggies with an egg and steam it.Cut it into cubes and while serving shallow fry it.
    Ofcourse this is only if you have started her on eggs.But if you haven't you can try other options.
    1)Moong dal and rice flour noodles
    2)Ragi idli
    3)Ragi satva or pudding
    4)Ragi noodles/Dosa
    5)Moong dosa
    6)Vari idli
    7)Puffed Rajgira or poha mixed with grated coconut and grated jaggery and ghee
    8)Kanda Poha
    9)Susheela-prepared same way as Kanda poha is just substitute poha for kurmura or puffed rice.
    10)Kulith or horsegram idli
    11)Thalipeeth-Use whatever rice,dal and/or veggies you have cooked for your meal and add different flours of your choice except wheat flour and knead into a soft dough.Make thalipeeth that is a pancake made by using your hands to spread the mixture on the tawa.Make a few holes.Add some oil from the sides and cover and coo.Then flip and cook agaiun.Instead of rice,dal you can even coarsely grind your rotis and use.

5. Aaradhana

Aaradhana New IL'ite

Thank you so much ladies for giving me so many ideas. Yes Armaity, her paediac asked me to give her egg yolk. Now, let me hunt for recipes using these items. Will keep you guys posted :)

Thanks again
    Dhana

1 person likes this.
  6. ammmullu

ammmullu Gold IL'ite

Raagi noodles ,rice noodles ? I don't know about that . in which stores those are available

7. Armaity25

Armaity25 Silver IL'ite

Hi Ammmulu.Ragi and rice noodles can be made at home.You do get rice noodles in Asian and Indian stores...not sure about the ragi noodles though.Over here,I do find them in the stores.But it is always good to make them at home.

8. preethiitech

preethiitech Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

You can also try these for breakfast/dinner

Rava upma
    Wheat rava upma
    Idly upma
    Ragi koozh
    Cooked Oats with fruits

And 10 months is a nice time to change her to the normal food; I mean the one that you cook for you and Dh..make a children's version of the same; you dont have to cook separately.. thereby the child gets more variety everyday.. and you are introducing many things..

9. ammmullu

ammmullu Gold IL'ite

ok ok thank you

1 person likes this.