Career Progression for Women for 10+ years experience.Seniority is a Boon or a Bane??

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by Priya_Mommy, Jun 20, 2014.

1. Priya_Mommy

Priya_Mommy Gold IL'ite

Hello All,
    Seniors....Seniors......Seniors!!!The woes of Senior people in any organization are numerous for women especially.
    As you are gaining experience, the organizations are thinking of showing exit door showing one or other reason. Majority of women are quitting their careers between 6-8 years of experience citing family responsibilities, kids, joining spouse etc. The rest of the people are sticking to the jobs due to financial commitments or family commitments. But very true that the career progression may not be same always for women though you are 100% committed to work and complete it ontime and get appreciations. At this middle management juncture,organization thinks that what "extra" value you are adding to your job. This extra can be interms of flexibility,frequent travels,buttering words to supervisors,Plastic smile at everybody though you dont like to do so etc. There havebeen multiple scenarios where we all come across such people in life where we are unable to compete with males though we are technically capable of doing anything, very good at handling the things etc. But flexibility and frequent travels are not possible due to the reason that we are backbone to families and its not possible for us to act fancily based on their wish and will. I happened to come across few scenarios in life especially with my supervisors when I cited a reason for my son's ill health as a reason for my one day absent to office where there was no slippage to the deliverables. He cited himself as the gem of a person where he is able to handle both family and kids without absenting to office. Afterall that guy sits at office from 9AM to 9 PM. His wife is a home maker and taking care of things. I made it a point to him that if he has any problem with my absence he can very well release me from project. But he dint as its not possible for him. we tend to take leave if any of our immediate family member is not keeping well and this is mandatory and we are balancing it somehow. When appraisal time comes, supervisors have a point to say about it. I could see very less number of ladies are coming till management. I know when I started career there are almost 40% of total strength in project were women. At that time we used to have good circle and good rapport. But as time is moving and we are gaining experience I hardly see any one of my fellow mates coming till level, may be <=10% are there currently. So 30% are leaving the jobs in between. But with this 10% also there is a huge competition between males and females and career progression is upto the mark because we can't socialize or go for parities with male supervisors where most of the deals happen. Also we have certain boundaries and we take excuse if something wrong at home. I sometimes feel, it was really good when I was 1 year experience and there was nothing to stop me .But now, I am seriously thinking daily whether to quit or continue. With commitments around, it will be good to continue for few more years. I wanna goback to good olden days..... if time machine is there I want to return to early job days.
    Pour your thoughts if you are also facing any such music at office. How to overcome and sustain in job for long, definitely help for our fellow ILites.

2. rajinitk4

rajinitk4 IL Hall of Fame

Re: Career Progression for Women for 10+ years experience.Seniority is a Boon or a Ba

Dear Priya

What you have written is the hard reality which all of us working women face. Unfortunately even I don't have an answer for it and am going with the wind. But would love to hear experts opinions here.

3. Priya_Mommy

Priya_Mommy Gold IL'ite

Re: Career Progression for Women for 10+ years experience.Seniority is a Boon or a Ba

Hi Rajani,
    Thanks! Nodoubt, we being non contraversial we can't showcase our anger or frustration afterall we wanted to maintain current statusquo as much as possible. Favouritism is one disease in any field for such buttering words I feel and it will discriminate hard workers and become scapegoats and they will leave organization with utter dissatisfaction. And we being used to certain comfort level and we dont want to loose it because new place may be another danger zone.

sindmani, Anvitha and PriyaDominic like this.
  4. Anvitha

Anvitha Moderator Staff Member Gold IL'ite

Priya_mommy,

me too is facing something similar , not exactly the same because Iam into product based company and manager is quite understanding one.

But we have less opportunities here for career growth, but iam still continuing because of the same reasons you have mentioned. my family and children need my time.

my dh also has no fixed timings so my responsibility is more and I still need to work due to some liabilities.

Initial days I used to have so many career ambitions but now sometimes I feel for being at a low level ( lower management AM) after these many years of experience but again l try to pacify myself by asking myself as "even if they promote and give more responsibilities will i be able to attend more and give more time?". next position will have so many responsibilities like 24 hrs on call(can do from home also) but not possible for me so better stay away from ambition.

My surrounding govt job women are doing the same like going slowly and steadily without much ambitions which is working better for them

so just they are the inspiration and at least a satisfaction that we are contributing at least something while some are still waiting for such chance .

thanks
    Anvitha

sindmani likes this.
  5. Priya_Mommy

Priya_Mommy Gold IL'ite

Hi Anvitha,
    Understood your part. Today I had to face a little challenging and tough situation. There was one-one discussion initiated by my manager where currently promtion cycle is gearing up. I asked him about my promotion almost 6 months back just to be on safer side because automatically promtions might not come and here we have to ask for. Anyways I have decided not to take any further promtions as it will add huge responsibility and have to forgo mental balance. As of now, I m looking out for retaining the current career till my commitments are over,. With promtion again, it will narrowdown the opportunities. I thought of saying NO if he initiates the talk. He told me about some other project key issues where I need to monitor for few days. By the time I m leaving, he informed me that he already initiated my promotion as I wanted it(I asked 6 months back). I was shattered, he didn't ask my opinion if I am ready to takeup, I feel 6 months may be a huge period and situations might change. Here there are lot of ppl who are looking out for promotion but for them he said its not possible. I dont know if he really saw my work and giving it without I notified him now Or is there any other reason because I know few of my friends are not getting it who are in same grade. I didn't say anything as its too late to say NO.
    Along with promotion news, he addedme extra work to lookafter other project's client engagements. I m not mentally ready either for extra work or promotion,but I faced it today. I am if I am in smaller role, already I feel I am overdesignated, but now it is like a finger on the nail.I am happy that I am getting recognition and I am sad that my days might be numbered here if I m unable to meet their expectations.

6. Anvitha

Anvitha Moderator Staff Member Gold IL'ite

congrats for the promotion initiation priya_mommy,

My 2 cents here.

If the promotion is inevitable then try to accept and see if you can delegate any of your present commitments to others at office or at home to lessen your burden.

If possible talk to your manager while taking the promotion on the work load. If you can do some work from home or over phones it also might relieve you from some load.

I bought a higher end phone last year and i will try to finish all my webex meetings on phone either while travelling or at home because they are all from my US office and start in the evening

may be you can judge your situation more and can make your plans to handle the new role better

All the best
    Anvitha

sindmani likes this.