1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Calling all mothers with babies below 1 year....

Discussion in 'Infants' started by Aadhusmom, Nov 29, 2007.

1. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Lavanya - Welcome to the Infants board! Manav is a great name. Hope to see a pic of him soon. All questions (however small or silly) are welcome in this group - so ask away! I know you wont have much time to visit IL this next mnth or two but hope to see you around.

Reshmi - Welcome! Advaith is a real cutie! Sounds like a real live-wire - I'm sure he keeps you very busy. Do join us whenever you can.

Vanathi.

2. roopika

roopika New IL'ite

Hello moms,

I would love to join this group.
    My daughter is 2 months 8 days old and she started observing around.
    spending most of my time with her.
    I look foward to all suggestions and tips.
    sweet kisses to LO's......

Roopika

3. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Welcome Roopika! What's your daughter's name? Do you work? Do post a pic of your LO.

vanathi.

4. roopika

roopika New IL'ite

Hi vanathi,

How is Aadhu doing?
    He is very sweet.
    I was working, then i resigned my job to look after my daughter. According to birth time her name should start from "N", still searching for a name.I will post my LO photo.

5. Lavanya

Lavanya Bronze IL'ite

hi vanathi...
    hope all the moms are doing great. manav keeps me busy most of the time and whatever time is left i try to snooze. we are like zombies now - i'm sure many of you can relate to that. he seems to feed 20 - 25 mins and sleep 2 - 2 1/2 hrs during day time. but from 8 pm until 1 am he's up every hr or so and that really wears me out. he does sleep while feeding and believe me i've tried so many ways to wake him. he falls asleep within 10 mins of feeding only to scream his head off in another hr. he DOES hv a louddddd voice. dad can't wait for his schedule to get better at nights!! i hv no idea how to solve this. my nurse tells that he's snacking and that i shd wake him to avoid that - but frankly NOTHING wakes him up. if i don't feed him as soon as he asks then he's agitated and gnaws on me. since he's only 2 weeks old i'm not sure if i shd start supplementing formula at night to keep him asleep longer or if i shd pump BM and feed that. until now he's been exclusively BF. pls let me know your suggestions.
    -L.

6. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Hey Lavanya, good to hear from you! Riya used to do that, she used to fall asleep in the middle of the feed and then be hungry after a while. I had a hard time with her, too. She also used to nurse every one to one and a half hour round the clock! One thing worked for her was while she was nursing I would tickle under her chin and that would make her to swallow more often. Also try to tickle his feet while he's eating that may keep him awake, too. Try it and see if that works. Riya still falls asleep but she's getting better at eating while asleep. :-D And make sure that you wake him up during the day time to feed him, don't let him sleep and miss his feed that will make him hungrier during the night. I would say, don't let him sleep for more than two hours, wake him up every two hours and feed him, that may help with reducing the night time feedings. But he's only two weeks, so he'll be up at night to eat. Riya started sleeping through the night (5 hours straight) when she was around three months old ( and she was good at it until recently. For the last couple weeks she has been waking up again, but that's because she's moving a lot and wakes herself up).

I was told by a mom of two kids and I am repeating it to you - Breastfeeding is the hardest the first six weeks, but after that it gets better and from personal experience I am telling you it's very true. The first six weeks will test your patience!

I am sure there are other moms here who would give you tips, too. It may not seem like it right now, but things do get better soon, so hang in there.

Raj

7. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Lavanya - I second everything Raj has said 100% true. My advice - try to keep him awake while he's still feeding. Dont supplement - this is the phase when your supply is getting established - supplementing now may interfere with that. For me too 8 weeks was my turning point - BFing became very easy and painless although it was another 6 weeks before Aadhu started sleeping 4 hrs at a stretch. Do sleep all you can during the times that manav sleeps - dont give up, this will pass very soon and things WILL get easier.

Vanathi.

8. cheer

cheer Silver IL'ite

First of all congrats lavanya, i would suggest u should pump @ night this will help U too. Raj & Vanathi already gave U good advice. But don't worry this is normal after 2 mths everything will be alright. So don't worry.

9. Lavanya

Lavanya Bronze IL'ite

Hi Raj, Vanathi and Cheer... thanks for the input. Tickling, keeping the baby unwrapped, etc have all been tried - there's absolutely NOTHING that wakes him up when he's at the breast but almost anything can wake him up when he's in his bed! He just uses it as a pacifier rather than for feed. I guess newborns have a need to feel secure and belonged to someone more than ever so this is their way of showing it.

I will have to decide if I can manage a 1 month old baby on my own for 10 - 12 hrs straight until he starts having a more regular routine which may be another month's time. DH travels a long way to work each day - so I am a bit confused as to how to handle the baby when I need to shower or use the bathroom or cook etc. Its still a bit scary... just like how I had my reservations about labor but that's done with now. I'm hanging on to the motto "this too shall pass".

-L.

10. cheer

cheer Silver IL'ite

My baby was also not sleeping when i used to put her in the bed but then i start putting her on the pillow, she felt more comfortable there, this i continue ard 2 mths or when u are sleeping put him beside U. They need it.

My In-laws gone back so what i do i cook in the evening when hubby @ home, regarding shower i 1st trying to put her to sleep & then take it. Right now forget abt anything else, try to relax as much as u can & take it easy. Do whatever u can & leave it rest. Do u have any facility like tiffin service etc. That will really very helpful for U.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2008