1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Thoughts on how 24 students lives could have been saved...

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Saisakthi, Jun 15, 2014.

1. Saisakthi

Saisakthi IL Hall of Fame

Larji Hydro Electric project (on River Beas) which generates 126 MW is declared as one of the costiliest project of the country where about 1300 Crores have been spent and expected to recover cost in about 8 to 10 years time since 2007.

:exactly: we are talking about the recent tragic death of 24 Engineering Students from Andhrapradesh whose parents lost their Loved Ones.

PROJECT NEGLIGENCE:
    Having spent a few lakhs out of the 1300 crores pointing out the security measures that need to be articulated if would have been incorporated in the Project and ofcourse executed too like “Sign boards” “Siren or alarms to be triggered off in crucial situations” could have been the first priority that would have not lost the Budding Engineers

TOURISM or GOVERNMENT’s ALERTNESS:
    Such places could have been prohibited for tourist entry which should declare that it is risking their lives who barge themselves for a photo shoot or enjoy the scenic arena. This could have been the Second priority which saves many who do not understand the locals’ language and stay away far.

ENGINEERS PROACTIVE THOUGHTS:
    Engineers or Technicians working on such kind of projects, if their education is not based on marks/grades/certificates and taught to think for themselves, who should also be respectful about people around them and have a love for the job and not look at it as just an earning potential would have proactively noted vital points, discussed it with their technical and superior team and incorporated such warnings would be the third priority

We are all aware none of the above is reality or practically possible, we are just we, not bothered about things happening around us and this incident would be forgotten, except that it leaves a scar in the families of the deceased. So let us turn pages of the book still ahead and see if there are any options from the other side - The tourists. YES!!!

UNIVERSITY’s MANAGEMENT:
    We, especially youngsters do so much of research on Google and use gadgets, Navigators for everything, everyday, every minute and almost googlesmileyis becoming an indispensable part of our life, The Management of the college/university can have a rule that unless all the places of the Tour are identified, their Pros and Cons discussed and be submitted as a report, should the students and their faculty be given permission to go on a Tour which at least alerts or triggers one or two brain a word of caution for others.

STUDENTS:
    Again students who are brought with the concept of Mark Scoring are like the horses wearing bridle (Kadivalam tamil) do not think out of the box and once they are free to enjoy decisions are still hasty, as we see couple of students standing on the slippery rocks just for posing to a photograph (in the media cooverages)

Is it a commercial scene which needs to be supersonic, if it just be a background of the banks of the river it is not good enough for a memory recall, It is neither a Tsunami wave which pulled them innocently from land trapping them or a failed break of a vehicle which took them away from a decent corner of the road or pavement. Students also out of enthusiasm unmindfully stepped inside just for a photograph.

We talked about a siren or alarm of a warning sign just earlier, but as a tourist will we ever understand a sound wave that passes swiftly into our ears as tourists as we would be busy chatting, giggling and enjoying. Any way it wouldn’t have helped.

If we take the word of Locals who say that the place is deserted most of the time, from which we could concur that the Engineer (who is already suspended that’s what the media mentions) may also not be at fault since he operates from elsewhere the opening the ghat and how could he sense tourists are on the banks of the river and that he should announce them to clear themselves.

A few have commented that the Faculty (or Guide) accompanying could have alerted them not to walk deep inside rather stay much away just for a photograph or avoided the place as the sun was already setting in and the new area with almost no knowledge, which may have gone into the deaf ear of students, those who listened and stayed back may have been gifts to their parents, Obedience at all circumstances counts.

So each one of them should do their duty divinely which is almost negligible these days to save our own lives and those who come across us, should be practiced

Just going out of topic, mentioning the above lines I remember my father telling me about a Gardener in his days who use to water plants (the daily quota) would used to water them daily even if it rains, when he was asked why, he would say, Rain God is doing his duty and so am I.

Finally, the talks will be blaming the Fate that we have lost precious lives and will put an end to it, there are many things that can happen to save these calamities, Wish we could, May baba guide all of us always,

May the DEPARTED SOUL rest in peace. SAIRAM

22 people like this.

2. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Sai dear feel sad for the parents who lost their loved ones. May the departed soul rest in peace

1 person likes this.
  3. knbg

knbg Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Sairam dear Saisakthi sis,
    This sad incident had been paining us since it happened and what a costly price to pay for small negligences...
    You have methodically listed out the causes and lapses..
    May those departed souls rest in peace, Sairam.

1 person likes this.
  4. shrutimanjunath

shrutimanjunath Platinum IL'ite

Sairam akka you are very thoughtful. Great you took out time to post this in your busy schedule. I can't imagine their parents.

1 person likes this.
  5. sbmat

sbmat Bronze IL'ite

yes this is a very painful incident indeed ,but i feel in India there is no value for life.people are more bothered about themselves specially people in the power position.there first thought is how to save money rather than thinking about safety of employees or abt society.
    i have had the benefit of staying both abroad and in india let me give you an example
    we were in london and wanted cable fixed where we were staying the guy who come over for fixing the dish antennae like we have here did put a safety belt a helmet (the wearing of safety gear did take almost 10 min of his time) and then ventured to climb over and fix the antennae.the company must be paying them hourly and yet they do not mind the guy spending 10 mins of his time on his personal safety.
    after i came to india we wanted to fix internet in the house so we called teh internet guys we were staying on the 7 th floor and teh windows had no grill outside just sliding glasses and a small parapet say 10 inch in size what i see is the cable guy climbing over on it all by himself and calling the guy above on terrace to pull the wire etc.i was more scared for his safety than he for himself.i told him be careful and he casually said this was his everyday work and mind you he had no safety gear on him.
    this guy must be paid on a monthly salary not hourly and also must be made to work extra hours free for the company during peak time and yet he is not allowed or given anything to save himself in case of accident.
    most of the companies just think abt themselves and saving money and not abt their employees also .i myself have worked for companies which during short circuit made us sit in the company with no light/ac for around 3/4 hrs rather than leave us since their money would go waste on the half day salary even though no work was getting accomplished .and this was company having almost 200-300 employees.
    this i am talking abt an everyday life incident .

Last edited: Jun 15, 2014
    4 people like this.
  6. Saisakthi

@shyamala1234

@VaniVyas

@Chachi420.

Thanks for stopping by and taking time to read, place a LIKE too, SAIRAM

7. Saisakthi

Sister Iyerviji,

SAIRAM, Thanks for retaining your favorite spot, the first fb, For parents all their dreams shattered.

May Baba bless all of us always.

8. Saisakthi

Sister knbg,

SAIRAM, It is not only sheer negligence, but also happened because we are unable to think beyond a limit, which has been taught in school and in childhood.

It adds an incident which was recently witnessed by us while crossing a TOLL, a Government Bus driver was pulled down by a co traveler for having hit his car and soon all the Government Buses plying around that area was intimated and quickly came to a halt causing a huge Traffic disturbance, after 40 minutes wait when we reached the Toll, our driver asked the Supervisor it has been long since these are happening have you informed the Police, as we don't find them at the scene.

The Supervisor replied, as long as vehicle reaches for a Toll ticket, our duty is to collect the same and pass the vehicle, those are happening little far away from us and we are not bothered about it, Really felt hurt to understand how people have become RIGID for one another.

SAIARM

3 people like this.
  9. heron

heron Platinum IL'ite

yesterday...I have been seeing their FB profiles....this is all very sad....really. It was actaully painful for me!...donno why!...I see people commenting that they could have done this and that...I mean does any one want to just die?....why would they not want to saves themselves?....they did all they could. Sitting here and tying is something and being there when you are almost sure thats you are gonna die is another thing.

Just shut your 'oh so wondeful' advices..if you can, just hope and get some sympathy that atleast the rest will be back....for god's sake, they were kids who had whole life ahead!

1 person likes this.
  10. Saisakthi

Sister Shrutimanjunath,

SAIRAM, Many peoples unthoughtfulness leads to loss of precious lives, which is just cared a damn, Took out time to write as it was really hurting to lose students just like that.

CONGRATS !!! on becoming a GOLD ILITE, Keep coming and enjoy being here..

May Baba guide us always,