1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Musical to my ears!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Sriniketan, May 26, 2014.

1. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Don't give up Anisu.
    Are we not in the tribe who will try and try and try, till we succeed :yes: and see at last (or is this the first step..haha) I found the music in our Microwave too..:)

Sriniketan

2. Sriniketan

Viswa Sir,
    Hats off to being a lead singer. You know SPB had no background in Carnatic music in his initial years..but later on became a star, you have that potential, no doubt.

The 1st half is true, but not the latter Sir..that's why this lamenting post from me.

this is surely musical to my ears. Thank you Sir, but what did I do to earn that..still thinking.

Just now read your signature, which is the one lacking I suppose to achieve the Raga Identification process.

Sriniketan

3. Sriniketan

I
    very true Mindi :) Why I didn't think this way..:)

Haha..very very true.
    One day my dh heard me humming some old movie song and gave me a whaatsmiley:confused2: mixed reaction haha, still not being able to figure out what his thoughts were..

Sriniketan

4. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sriniketan,
    Ellaame sangeetham thaan, including micro, washing machine, the whistle of the cooker! some may be karna katuram!
    You should hear many kirthanas in the same raga and then you will be able to recognize that raga.
    PS

1 person likes this.
  5. Sriniketan

Pushpavalli ma,
    Should put more effort in that area, I suppose :)
    Will definitely set aside some time for learning this raga part too.
    I am a very lazy person, you know.

Sriniketan

6. Aria

Aria New IL'ite

Srini,

I never developed classical ear, tongue extremities skipping my kuchipudi dance classes. I had no clue why my parents wanted to train me in classical arts when I was a kid. Cramps, headaches, stomach aches, more angular aches followed to play truant.

Few years later in my zumba class when my friend comments - you are as nimble as a nereid did I realize how beneficial that patchy training been in my life.

Reinventing is not subsequent to realization, sometimes it is retention and today I try to keep that alive as much as I can.

Love the way you see humour, learning in everything around and pen your thoughts.

1 person likes this.
  7. navs23

navs23 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Srini,

Nice write up.

I started with elementary sessions too, but had to give up once studies took over and till date cannot identify anything other than kanada raagam and aadi thalam(Alaipayuthe kanna) :)

I remember one school annual day, where four girls stood next to each other, to sing a very challenging carnatic song. We had practised well and yet on the d-day(I have to tell about our pitch here, mine is more of a base note, one girl had a very shrill voice, one had a normal voice and the other a very broad tone(kattai kural)). So, imagine the chaos, when we all lost sync half way through and started with our own pitches. The music teacher was in tears when the song ended(not in a good way).

1 person likes this.
  8. Sriniketan

Aria,
    Sorry for coming in late, as always :-(
    Is this musical to my ears, yes it is! Thank you for those encouraging words.
    truly said
    Me too, me too! :)

Sriniketan

9. Sriniketan

Navs, same pinch here related to the Kaanada ragam. The first one I can identify, only when it is sung as Alaipayudhe Kanna..:biggrin2:
    But to thalam..Adhi and Roopagam are the two thalam I can remember though. :-(

I could understand the situation your music teacher as well as you all went through, as I also went through this in a different way..where I was asked to play Veena as a background music to the College Drama--Bhishmaa..'..
    Even though people around appreciated, I was not satisfied at all.

Sriniketan