1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Ideas for Toddler food to carry on plane ( international travel)

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by pshethrana, Jun 4, 2008.

1. pshethrana

pshethrana New IL'ite

Hello Ladies,
    I will soon be travelling with my son to India by Korean Air. My son will be 23 months then.
    I called Korean to see what meal options they have and they said Chicken Nuggets , Burger, Spaghetti etc.
    We are vegetarian and my son still hasn't eaten the above foods.
    Any suggestions on what food I can carry on the plane for him ? The flight is from SFO to Seoul ( 13 hrs ) with a 2 hour stopover and then to Mumbai ( 8 hours).
    I also asked if they will provide milk to the toddler and their answer was " You have to carry milk for the toddler bcos we have limited supply !!!!" :shock::frown::-(

2. vidhya parani

vidhya parani Senior IL'ite

hi pshethrana,
    your airline's reply is really strange...if your son has started on whole cow's milk, it should be available onboard any flight...anyways, you can carry a few small cartons/plastic bottles of UHT longlife milk, this need not be refrigerated until opening...you can get 300ml packs of those...you may also carry breakfast cereals like weetabix, chocos, or cornflakes whichever your son has normally for breakfast...quaker has small packets of instant oats, easy for carrying...they must be having some breakfast rolls/bread in the plane..cup noodles is another option... dry macaroni and cheese packets (just add hot water type)..maggie comes up with cup noodles type of "euro snacks' it has pasta and cheese, mashed potatoes etc..you may also carry some breadsticks, biscuits and wafers for snacks...fruits and juices should be available onboard...you may carry some disposable plastic bowls and spoons for convenience...this should help you to somehow pull through the travel time....you can ask the airline if you can carry some home made food for the child like chapatis, idlis etc especially since they might not give milk also for him...you can explain that you are vegetarian and that their food choices are not suitable for your child...all the best!

3. ars

ars Platinum IL'ite

Cheerios is good too. Keep wipes handy. Don't overload your hand bag with lot of varieties. Kids generally sleep during the flight. At stop over you can buy fries or some thing.
    Happy Journey.

4. pshethrana

pshethrana New IL'ite

Hi Vidhya and ars,
    Thank you so much for the suggestions.
    Vidhya - your suggestion about the of UHT longlife milk is excellent. Which brand can I buy and Where can I buy it from ? I called Safeway but they dont carry such milk.

-Parul

5. Happysoul1234

Happysoul1234 Gold IL'ite

Hi Parul,

The UHT milk here is manufactured by horizon brand and you can find them in snack sizes at Whole Foods in plain or chocolate or strawberry flavors. But I don't think they will let you carry these onboard because the size is over 3 ounces and they don't allow you to carry liquids onboard greater than 3 ounces unless it is breast milk.

You can try carrying some powdered milk - a good brand is NIDO and is available at Indian stores. You can mix this with hot water in the plane which makes decent tasting whole milk.

Pooja

6. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Hi,

All the suggestions for food are excellent. If he likes fruits carry his fav fruits. The only other suggestion I wanted to make was, carry empty sippy cups and that way you can fill water/milk that you can buy in the airport and fill on need basis. He will sleep quite a bit, some snacks, some books will help hi

7. vidhya parani

vidhya parani Senior IL'ite

hi parul,
    nestle and paul's make UHT milk...should be available in most supermarkets..but if they dont allow that, maybe you can carry the milk powder like pooja suggests..

8. GayathriSundar

GayathriSundar Senior IL'ite

Last edited: Jun 5, 2008
  9. pshethrana

pshethrana New IL'ite

Thank you Vidhya. I will first find out from TSA if they will let me carry it . I really really hope they do ....

Gayathri- thank you for the compliment. Honestly, I never liked my name :)
    Also thanks for the link. I will go thru it .

-Parul

10. pshethrana

pshethrana New IL'ite

Hi Pooja and Srama,
    Thank you four your suggestions.Sorry for some reason I skipped reading your post earlier ...

I feel so lucky to be part of such a helpful group of ladies. Its slowly making me less anxious.

Is there any other brands of powder milk that anyone has tried besides the one pooja suggested ?

Also do kids accept the powdered milk easily ? I am so worried that he will reject it and I will be left stranded on the plane with no milk for him :(