Managing food while in China?

Discussion in 'Indians in China' started by shalini, Nov 26, 2006.

1. Padmash

Padmash Platinum IL'ite

hi Ashjensingh,

i too stay in tianjin but my place is 40min journey from tianjin medical university...there are few north indian students in the same university i think in 3rd year ....there is no indian grocery shop in tianjin but sometimes few items are available in carrefor, wal mart and friendship...anyways he can get grocery items from beijing...we too get from beijing for 3months....if u want address and contact no tell me i will pm u..
    but indian students in tianjin university know that shop in beijing...if ur brother can be friend with some students it will be better...bcoz its difficult to go reach that shop alone if u dont know chinese...it is like hidden very small shop...we take interpreter or if we get some good chinese friend
    Padma

2. mtkm

mtkm New IL'ite

Hi Vidhya

Thanks a milion.Yr info was just in time and very usedful.Mom passes on her regards and thanks to u.Once again thanks for sharing info.Take care and have a good weekend.

Regards

latha

3. vidhya parani

vidhya parani Senior IL'ite

dear latha,
    you are most welcome and my warm regards to your mom too...
    safe journey!

4. Padmash

Padmash Platinum IL'ite

hi all....

if anyone is vegetarian and visiting beijing ..it will not be much difficult as there are at least three indian restaurants in beijing..i am not remembering name but its available on websites...one is indian kitchen which is in chaoyang district...so if anybody planning to visit china and want to dine in indian restaurant, get the address written in chinese as here drivers dont understand a single word of english other that yes , no , bye bye, thank you....other that indian restaurant there is one pakistani restaurant too in chaoyang district behing chaoyang police station. But in case we dont get indian restaurant there is one more option you can look for laflore cafe it provides some western food items which are purely veg and services are good too....we were stucked in beijing for four days as we missed our flight. We weren't prepared for this sudden stay in beijing and definitely there was food problem for us as we dont eat egg so may food restrictions and we were not in mood to go back to our city. We went to carrefore got bimbo's bread which is eggless, some fruits, coofee, milk, yoghurt and then we went to indian grocery shop in chaoyang district and got some ready to eat curries and anyhow spent four days.. for breakfast we went to capital airport hotel their we can have buffet breakfast which is really good and per person it is only thirty eight rmb...we have choices their for vegetarians .....for lunch we went to indian kitchen but only one day as it was very far from our hotel...and we managed rest of the time with all the stuff we got from carrefore and good breakfast..but one thing if you dont get anything and you dont know any place where to eat or what to do then in any chinese restaurant you can ask for chinese crullers it is long deep fired soft stick made up of soya flour served woith soya milk it doen't contain any egg but too oily in chinese it is called as youtao....

5. ssm014

ssm014 Platinum IL'ite

Veg food Options -Beijing, China

There are a few vegetarian restaurants in Beijng:

1) Gong De Lin, not to far south of Tiananmen square on Qianmen street.
    2) Lotus in Moonlight. There are lots of mock-meat dishes Phone: 6465-3299. Add: Building No.12 Liufangnanli, Chaoyang District, Beijing
    Both of these restaurants have English menus.
    3) Punjabi Restaurant- C-8, 2/ F, Lucky street, Zao Ying road, Chao Yang District, Tel – (010) 58670221, 5867 0223
    4) Ganges-Indian Restaurant-
    (a ) Sancaitang Xiezi Lou, 160 Chengfu Lu, Haidian District -near Tsinghua University, Tel -6262 7944
    (b) 5/B, Hairun Apartments, 2 Jiangtai Lu, Chaoyang District Tel-5135 8353
    (c) 138A, B1/F, The Place, 9 Guanghua Lu, Chaoyang District, Tel-
    6587 2999

5) Merits & Virtues (Gong-de-lin) Veg House, Add: No.158 Nandajie, Qianmen, Beijing, Tel: 67020867 / 65112542
    6) Pure lotus vegetarian Restaurant, Add: No.10 Agricultural Exhibition nanli , Beijing, Tel: 65923627/13910314301
    7) Lili vegetarian Restaurant, Add: Jimen Restaurant,Bei sanhua ,haidian district, Beijing, Tel: 62025284,62012211-1472
    8) Chingari ( Indian food, possibly Paki owner) , 4/F, 27 Dongzhimenwai Dajie, Chaoyang District, Tel- 8448 3690/1
    9) Asian Star (serves a mishmash of Indian, Thai, Singaporean and Malaysian cuisines) - 26 Dongsanhuan Beilu, Chaoyang District
    Tel- 6582 5306
    10) Mirch Masala, 60-2 Nanluoguxiang, Dongcheng District, Tel - 6406 4347
    11) Hazara - Inside Face bar, 26 Dongcaoyuan, Gongti Nanlu , Chaoyang District
    Tel- 6551 6788

6. ashjensingh

ashjensingh New IL'ite

Thanks Padma and sorry for the late response .Do PM the address and contact info I ll pass on this info to him.
    TC
    Luv,
    Asha Jennifer Singh

Last edited: Nov 19, 2008
  7. Jpatma

Jpatma Silver IL'ite

Dear,
    1) Yes, it is not that easy in China, however if you had acquired taste for chinese food ( vegetables that are not overcooked, with just garlic and soya sauce) then it is not bad. You can tell them specifically in bold "no meat, no fish, no egg" just vegetable. Ofcourse at times you may find the aroma chicken revolting, or the sight of chicken hanging to be slliced for chicken rice.

2) As suggested 3-in one coffee & tea are advisable to take along( Though i found some good hotel serve for breakfast for 10 yen)

3) Worse come to worse carry some maggi noodles and other dry and lasting indian food along

4) Its all matter of adapting and also google in for vegetarian restaurants for places you are going to visit

5) In shengzhen i found very few spoke english, fortunately my guide was with us.
    6) Fried rice , fried noodles are easily available food in chinese restaurants.
    7) There are some hotel that caters to the tourist provides vegetarian food
    8) Be adaptable to chinese veg food.
    9) There are also mock chicken,mock fish,mock prawns which are made of flour and soya but shaped and flavoured like meat but purely vegetarian.
    10) Another safe area is look for muslim food ( no pork)
    11) Do not worry too much and enjoy the country since China is like India full of history and geography. If you are visiting historic places ensure to read abt it early then you can marvel abt the history
    May God bless you.
    Jpatma

8. Ushakrishnan64

Ushakrishnan64 Silver IL'ite

Hi IL friends from China,
    My friend's daughter is in NANJING on a project work. Can anyone help me to suggest good places for Vegetarian food? Any of our IL friends in/ around this place?

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Regards
    USHA

9. kalyanii2002

kalyanii2002 New IL'ite

Dear Ashjensingh,

My son is going to join in Tianjin University this August .. I want to know a small feedback abt tianjin university. I want to talk to u.. Could u plz mail me ur mobile number to my email id kalyanii2002@gmail.com? Now what is ur brother doing after studying there.. It will be very helpful for me if u tell me some information abt the university..
    Thanks,
    Jeya kalyani

Last edited: May 28, 2014
  10. Padmash

Padmash Platinum IL'ite

Kalyanii ji.. what do you want to know about Tianjin medical university. I used to know few but they all have moved back to india. I know some students in nantong medical university. Generally all the kids go back to India in second week of july so lil difficult to get all info.. But if you have some specific questions post here.. I will try to get answers for all of them.
    Generally all indian students live in a group.. all medical university have indian canteen too and they provide north indian south indian food... Near university there is one pakistani seller who sells are type of indian and pakistani grocery items.. food will not be a problem. From Tianjin they can catch bullet train which take 20-30min to reach Beijing.. this the best and safest way to reach beijing.. near and around indian emabssy beijing there are indian restaurants..
    About medium of instruction it will be in chinese most probably. Students i met informed that they are learnig chinese in college campus. It will be better if your son can learn there in india itself.. chinese people are trying to use english but very difficult.. Your son must bring all the addreses print out in chinese.. this will make his way easier to move in tianjin.. Tianjin is really big city.