1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

funny and sad incident:((

Discussion in 'Friends & Neighbours' started by anika987, May 22, 2014.

1. han412

han412 Gold IL'ite

No not once you become a mom. Once you are married it is a custom amongst Indians to call you aunty. Once I was married this neighbor who was 1 year older than me started calling me auntywaitingsmiley. And I automatically became amma to all the help even the ones in their sixties!!!
    Since shifting to Bangalore I have become ma to everyone. Btw does ma mean mother in Kannada?

Last edited: May 27, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  2. Thriveniram

Thriveniram Senior IL'ite

Ha ha really good topic to discuss. Yes, especially in south India this happens..
    if kids call us aunt its well n fine but not adults.. We can correct them with out any hesitation i feel. If some body above 20 calls me aunt i jus tell them to call by my name.So that they wont repeat it with othersnotdonesmiley

2 people like this.
  3. Magee

Magee Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Hi friends,

yes, i havr also faced similar situation....even some girls who looks like an elder sister to me have called me aunty...just bcas i am married.....:bang

2 people like this.
  4. DKI

DKI Platinum IL'ite

OP,
    Many years ago when I was still single, we had a newly married couple move in to our apartment complex. K was almost a year younger than me. My neighbor's son N would call me akka and her aunty. She asked him why he did that :) His innocent answer? Well aunty you are married and akka is not :) Same kid used to call my sister akka and still does (though she is married now) but calls my BIL uncle.

3 people like this.
  5. sheztheone

sheztheone Platinum IL'ite

LOL doesn't that remind you of that hair oil (shampoo?) ad? With "aunty...aunty..." echoing in the background.

BTW this is a great thread and makes me feel good about being on the "wrong side of 30" as mentioned by Sonam Kapoor.

2 people like this.
  6. indoc

indoc Gold IL'ite

On a related note....
    Once me & my DH were traveling from HYD to BLR by bus.. a girl came and said "uncle can you plzz change seats since I have a perv male in the adjacent seat"...
    my DH was fuming not that he had to change seats, but some girl called him UNCLE... grumpingly he changed seats and the very next day uncle got a hair-cut, clean shave, new T-shirts and what not.. and BTW that girl was final yr Bachelors. OUCH, it hurts.

3 people like this.
  7. MadhuSharmila

MadhuSharmila IL Hall of Fame

I've faced this even before getting married, when I was working in Bangalore. I've just completed my masters and was working, staying with friends. The high school kids in the neighbourhood would call us 'Aunty'.

The saddest part is, the House owner's wife with a kid also called me 'Aunty' whaatsmiley. Later, I came to know that she was 2 years younger to me.

1 person likes this.
  8. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

looks like ladies in bangalore/karnataka face this prob more..heheh

and yes i too faced
    i was newly married (21 years) and i went outing with my hubby
    some lady(looked 50+) was talking to my hubby and suddenly said "oh this aunty is your wife??"
    my whole evening flopped and my hubby had to spend the rest of that day consoling me..hehehe
    even now when i see the pics taken on that day(my whole face looking so down/dull because of that aunty incident),i get irritated that its because of that lady my evening flopped.. grrrr

many more such incidents happened..all in and around bangalore :-(
    one more thing i observed is when i go out without my hubby and kid and without keeping sindoor,i get addressed as mam/sister :bonk

9. mahesaran

mahesaran IL Hall of Fame

Same to me, my house owner's son who is only 6 years younger than me(1 year young than my bro) called me aunty when my baby was 10 months old then... so sad...notdonesmiley

Last edited: May 28, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  10. vsharma

vsharma Platinum IL'ite

Even i experience this. Just cos we have kid no matter how young you look they call you aunty :-(

1 person likes this.