1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Divorce is not a dirty word!

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by lilypad, May 13, 2014.

1. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

You are not old fashioned! You did a right thing by listening to your heart. The way I look at your situation is- you loved your husband and that's why you married him (please correct me if I'm wrong), it wasn't arranged marriage. The separation helped the hearts grow fonder and your husband, who obviously loved you, saw the clear picture. You proved that you can live your life happily without him as well as with him given there is no outside interference. This is the main reason courts ask for a separation period before a divorce. Things change for some but not for all.
    In my case, I gave my ex- second chance an nothing changed.
    Happy to hear a success story!

1 person likes this.
  2. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

Well said, Maddy!

3. HasteRaho

HasteRaho Platinum IL'ite

It's so inspiring to hear stories shared by other posters of having made their decisions based on what they felt was right (not giving into pressures elsewhere), realizing what they deserved, and ultimately finding a way to land on their feet. :) Kudos.

4. Yatin

Yatin New IL'ite

Unfortunately in Indian society Divorce still is considered a 'dirty word'. More so in rural / small cities / towns context.
    There is kind of stigma attached to the word. Not only it is a dirty word but most often the process of going through it is also made extremely painful and torturous for both or either party mostly by their greedy lawyers.

Once I stayed as PG in France. The lady has had a divorce barely a week ago. But I noticed that her husband visited her after a month or so to meet their son and they were so cool about the whole situation. Both of them had moved ahead with their respective lives after a peaceful divorce. It is not considered 'big deal' there.

But here in India since the marriage is between 'two families' so a lot of people have the divine right to poke their nose in matters like divorce. It is considered not only social stigma but catastrophic particularly for the women. Therefore many couples quietly choose to linger on with their dysfunctional marriage and relationships.

Happy to say that I have negotiated around 4 divorce cases within my circle in a very peaceful and dignified manner.

5. Aria

Aria New IL'ite

I wonder if she was travelling, attending classes, studying the mechanics of TARDIS, learning how to cook maggi in less than a min, bumping into a pillar recollecting difference between virga and serein, bought a telescope, logged in after a long time to see 'Password incorrect!' and created a new id thinkingsmiley:biggrin2:

6. MaliniHari

MaliniHari Gold IL'ite

I should also tell this, if a divorced woman is considered for a re-marriage, people often look at her as if she is an adamant woman! But if men are divorcees, they are looked upon with pity! This word Divorce has saved multiple lives. I would say, has given back the lost freedom to some people! We still have to go a long way to treat somebody good regardless of their marital tag! A divorcee is not somebody who is incapable of standing a relationship, instead, he/she has had the courtesy or respect or understanding that the spouse also has an individual life and has had the brains and guts to stand up for self!

7. lilypad

lilypad Silver IL'ite

Thanks Aria .. for your reply. You have pointed out somthing I hadnt thought about. The undertone of pity... I think that's troublesome too... but possible easier to deal with than contempt or judgement.

8. lilypad

lilypad Silver IL'ite

Great to hear from you SGBV. I think my friend hopes for the same outcome that you have described. I dont know old fashioned or not.. I think we all have a responsibility to do what makes us happy. Even if people around us dont agree with our decisions. And thats what you have done..

So for my friend I will be there for her as she tries to figure this out for herself... and not push her to leave (atleast I will try.. :) ) And hope she finds the happiness you have.

9. lilypad

lilypad Silver IL'ite

Thanks Maddy !! I love your reply... and you are a wonderful lady. I think I remener reading some of your older threads. Its great that you see the divorce as a positive experience... I wholly believe it should be. You are leaving the bad behind.. and moving to future of endless possibilities.

10. aabcii

aabcii Gold IL'ite

soon we will find a group of divorce happy living ppl around :)