1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Groom not on FB - would you be worried?

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by tulipzz, May 15, 2014.

1. tulipzz

tulipzz Platinum IL'ite

My cousin's cousin has met this guy through telugumatrimony. Everything seems ok, horoscopes matched etc...the guy has a younger brother. Both brothers are highly educated - Bachelors from Bits Pilani and PhDs from good universities in the US. The younger one has just finshed his phd and he accepted an offer from Yahoo. The older one (the groom) has been working in another top Tech company since 1yr.

The girl casually checked on google, but finds no trace of the two brothers on the internet except their phd publications. What's wrong - I thought. But google for "people without facebook presence" - in this time and age, it is apparently very fishy to have no FB/linkedin accounts. Even employers and psychiatrists think its fishy.

What would you do? Go ahead with the match? Or better safe thN sorry?

I dont know the bride very well, so it's just a question that popped in my mind that I'm asking here.

2. FromMars

FromMars Gold IL'ite

I have no FB or LinkedIn accounts. I created FB once just to find my old friends but never posted and never used and discarded. I hate social media like a plague.

What do you suggest I do? ( No, I am not on telugu matrimony )

Last edited: May 15, 2014
    3 people like this.
  3. blackbeauty84

blackbeauty84 IL Hall of Fame

tulipzzz,
    This seems to be a concern of majority of FB users. But there are people out there who doesn't like FB, thinks it a waste of time. It's perfectly normal not to have FB account nor not understand how it works.

Anyways I wouldn't take an important decision of marriage on whether the guy is in a social network site or not...

3 people like this.
  4. suasin

suasin Gold IL'ite

Hi tulipzz,

My H has one personal mail account and an official one!! Thats it. He has no FB account, He has just one old phone and a mob no he got decades ago that he uses while driving. He is in India, he doesnot use a mob phone. But he is a decent, very honest person. He doesnt stop me being on social networks and gifts me latest gadgets. He just feels he doesnt need them. He is in his late thirties BTW.
    So, i dont see not having fb account a problem, but before settling on ANY alliance, I suggest check through regular channels like older times.. Talk to ppl he studied with, work with. How much can we really know from fb friends anyway???

2 people like this.
  5. hsnnalini

hsnnalini Senior IL'ite

One of the most bizzare rejection reasonsi have ever come across ,while searching for a groom.. Both of them are highly educated thats why they are not on facebook :) and not the other way around...They wouldnt have time for peeping into other people's life... The girl should be lucky to get a husband who is not obsessed with social networking... She can get that time for hers ( a possibility )

10 people like this.
  6. Rise

Rise Platinum IL'ite

There are lots of people i know who rarely uses fb.. ... its not a major concern if he is ok otherwise

7. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

Tulipzz, I don't have a LinkedIn, ResearchGate or whatever account (neither does my husband). We both have FB accounts but if you try to find me, you won't because of my security settings + I use FB only when I need to send a message to a friend who is on FB but I don't have her/ his email id.
    Both, my husband and I are PhDs with academic position in US (my husband is an American) and no, my employers never asked/checked a FB account.
    In addition, my Post-doctorate advisor (American) neither has a FB account nor a cell phone.
    There are lot of people who are not comfortable with social media.

5 people like this.
  8. SreeSri

SreeSri Gold IL'ite

Lol... what a worry OP :)
    I do have FB/Linkedin etc, I use them without the trace of my identity online. I dont post on them, just visit once in a blu moon day just to check the old photos of my friends postings etc.
    Having no FB is not to be worried about. You/the groom or that gurl were not born with FB and I am sure all of us are not gonna die with FB :) There are a lot more things to be worried about :)

2 people like this.
  9. tulipzz

tulipzz Platinum IL'ite

Additional info, i didn't have a FB account until very recent times.... Just last week my husband and I deleted our accounts

10. tulipzz

tulipzz Platinum IL'ite

why are you jumping into conclusions? Did I tell u I'm worried?

Why are you nailing me to the opinion you want to fight against? Read my post properly. I said "what's wrong - I thought"

we are looking for a girl for my brother, he is not on FB too.... I'm wondering if he will be judged!

1 person likes this.