1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Divorce is not a dirty word!

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by lilypad, May 13, 2014.

1. lilypad

lilypad Silver IL'ite

I have a very good friend and my talks with her have prompted me to post here.

I have known this woman since we were both 18, in college. Let's call her S . We joined our first job together in a large MNC at 21 , and were part of the same team.
    It was here that S met her now husband , let's call him K. Slowly over the next year or so they started dating. And eventually 4 years later married. It's is now 7 years since they married and have a little 2 year old boy.

K is a traditional , partriarchal type of man ... Very controlling , expects S to follow his rules such as wear certain clothes, behave in a certain way with his family, not meet her friends too often, and even not laugh too loudly. They live with K's parents who also are the typical in-laws, always criticizing S for some real or imaginary issues. S also doesn't get to participate in any household decisions, or have a say in anything.
    S was a carefree and happy person, but slowly over the years I have seen her become more and more depressed, cribby and negative. When we met , which is not too often anymore , all she had were rants and vents about her family.

Sometime ago K transferred to the US . S , then had to leave her career and follow K. The in laws also moved. Now things got worse , S did not have the one thing that had kept her sane all these years , her job.
    Finally things got so bad , that S returned to India few months ago, with her son, and found a new job and new house and started living by herself.
    She is not officially separated from K , and is not planning to either.

The change in her is so dramatic.. I met her now, and she was positively glowing.
    I think I heard her carefree laugh after years... We talked about so many things just like old times. She is living independently. Yes, she had to take care of her son by herself, but she has got some hired help now, and anyway even otherwise K and his parents didn't really help her too much.

I asked why she doesn't consider separating from K. But she said 'how can I do that? He is not that bad... He has never hit me! Besides I don't want to be tagged a divorcee'

I am baffled by this... Is divorce in our society such a bad thing that she would rather stay in such an unhappy marriage than leave. Is being hit the only reason to walk out from a marriage? What about happiness, love, companionship ? Why would we judge someone for choosing their own happiness over a tradition that keeps them so miserable?
    Why is divorce such a dirty word?

5 people like this.

2. varah

varah Silver IL'ite

men or women becomes a divorcee not by choice. Situations and circumstances lead to that state.

4 people like this.
  3. RADIODOC679

RADIODOC679 Gold IL'ite

Yes! The word D is so bad-people will rather stay stuck in a bad marriage.Divorcees are seen still as some social stigma even below widows/widowers, more so if it is a woman.Dont know how the perception is abroad but here still people are narrow minded as regards to divorces however mitigating circumstances are women are supposed to put up with their better halves.Its another thing that divorces are also on the rise esp amongst both working couples.

1 person likes this.
  4. SreeSri

SreeSri Gold IL'ite

Good story about that strong woman OP, I guess she can close the loop by getting out of that invisible relation(of Marriage tag) and laugh even of whole hearted.

2 people like this.
  5. monita

monita Platinum IL'ite

IMO, if she doesn't have any other man in her life and if she doesn't want an alimony, living separately is good enough. Why would she need a divorce?

2 people like this.
  6. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

Depends on one's perception. I am happily divorced and would rather be a divorcee than stuck up in a bad marriage. If the woman is confident and keep her head up, no one can make her feel miserable or less in any regard. As Deepak Chopra says:
    "I am totally independent of the good or bad opinion of others.I am beneath no one, and no one is beneath me.
    I am fearless in the face of all challenges."
    My ex never hit me (well, he couldn't because I hold his hand) but for me that was not enough to stay in a bad marriage.

7 people like this.
  7. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

There is a big difference between "good enough" and "great". She feels great without him it seems. Not to forget, without divorce she is still legally bound to this man. If she is happy without this man in her life, then why she should stay married?

Last edited: May 14, 2014
    3 people like this.
  8. heron

heron Platinum IL'ite

I think she likes the man...but not enuf to stay with him 24/7/365 with micro management around her and without a job.

Looks like she is happy with the set up now...good for her.

And yes,divorce is like belittling your farthest relative whom you never even met...irony

4 people like this.
  9. HasteRaho

HasteRaho Platinum IL'ite

She may be just hanging on to the marriage for the sake of her son and sometimes, people are more comfortable with the Devil they know vs. the Devil they don't know. Although she might realize her marriage with is bad, but not bad enough, in her opinion, to justify a divorce plus she's probably at the point where she's exploring life on her own post marriage to rediscover herself and what she wants at this point in her life. If her husband is okay with this without ending the marriage, it might be what makes her happy. She has no guarantee or might fear that if she leaves him, there will be a lot of pressures, a lot of paperwork and who knows, maybe she thinks all men are like that.

Anyway, trust her to be the best judge of her situation and support her as she needs :) It's great that she's trying to regain her independence, has removed herself from an awful situation and looks to herself to be happy. Maybe in time, either the distance will help their marriage (husband might miss his family and want to improve his relationship with her) or maybe it will be just the trigger she needs to move on and find a healthier relationship when she's ready.

Last edited: May 14, 2014
    5 people like this.
  10. lilypad

lilypad Silver IL'ite

I love your response SreeSri... indeed her marriage is just a tag. I am going to say this to her next time. :)