Need info on Big baby delivery

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by Gae3, May 7, 2014.

1. Vasumathy

Vasumathy Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I feel there is a wrong perception that short texture mother's won't deliver babies vaginally if they are little higher on weight!
    My sis is 5.1" & her second delivery is vaginal after first C-section! I think he(LO) was little higher on the weight side!

1 person likes this.
  2. smileAlways

smileAlways Gold IL'ite

Hi gae3,

Please don't worry about vaginal and c section now. Go with the flow. I delivered 8 lb baby vaginally. It's hard to deliver big babies vaginally but it's possible. I have to push for 2.5 hours. I am 5'2" and very petite ( I wear xs/petite/junior clothes).I had bad hemmeroids with pushing. Was not able to sit for 2 weeks

The plus point that I had was my Dr did not inform me it's a big baby. She said baby might be big around 36 weeks, seeing me nervous she changed the topic and never told me the size of the baby again. As a ftm I did not think about that later.only after baby is out I came to know that baby is big.

Even now when I go to hospital( I am expecting my second) all the nurses/technicians are amazed by hearing I delivered a 8 lb baby vaginally. I am really thin.

1 person likes this.
  3. smileAlways

smileAlways Gold IL'ite

Hi renunatraj,

How did you deliver a transverse baby vaginally? Did the Dr moved the baby head down while labor?

1 person likes this.
  4. Renunatraj

Renunatraj Silver IL'ite

Yes smilealways. She did during pushing stage. She told she can feel his hands not the head so she changed his position internally. I would say she is an expert. Some other doctor would have chosen csection for baby's position and size.

4 people like this.
  5. Gae3

Gae3 Platinum IL'ite

Hi Renu,
    That's amazing.
    This is the first time I have heard that a transverse baby was changed his position.
    Can you atlest mention which city this doc is in?

6. Gae3

Gae3 Platinum IL'ite

Hi..

Thank you all for the wonderful replies.

I realized there are several factors involving for my gyni to suggest me for C-section.
    I did take a second opinion also.The same reason where pointed out and hence the C-section.

To begin with Big baby and my pelvic is inadequate.
    Since baby is big polyhydraminos.
    Baby hasn't engaged and I am in my 39.1 week.

So i guess for mom's who have been successful may be the factors were different.
    I am still curious to know if there's was different.

My questions to her was,are there chances for Pelvic bone to open up during the surgery and baby to co operate.She said Yes...but less chances.
    Why cant we wait till baby's had is fixed.
    The more you wait more baby weight, less chances for normal delivery.
    Also after 40 weeks, chances of baby to poop inside is there without space fetal distress can happen.So my chances to wait were ruled out.

I asked for induction in this week,She said again baby might try to fit inside pelvic and not be able to come up and which in turn will result in C-section.
    Also the induction provided less time for baby to relax compared to natural induction(contraction) big babies need more oxygen compared to small babies.
    Again chance of fetal distress,SO that is ruled out.This same reason also hold good, if my water breaks before I get contraction.Since I have polyhydraminos,it can rupture the membranes if water breaks.

Only option in case I get pains and get into natural labor she will try for it.

As DH says knowing all this factor is it really required to take risk.
    I would not prefer losing you or baby at this point.In case normal succeeded and complications happen to baby it will be a life long thing to handle.
    Better to go with the available safest option.I feel he also has a point.
    So finally have made peace and have decided to go for C-section.

1 person likes this.
  7. ramyav_cse

ramyav_cse Gold IL'ite

My son was over 8lbs at birth and I delivered him normally. I did have an episiotomy since his head was big but thats pretty normal. BTW, babies dont turn out as big as they think alwayz. Iv even heard of people say they were told they are having a big baby and the baby was actually average. My SIL was told she was having a small baby and she delivered a 9lbs baby.

My doctor also said she was going to induce me since my baby was big(I alwayz measured 2 weeks more than I was). She asked me to come with a date for induction for my appointment at 39W4D which incidentally was the day my son was born(no induction required). Talk to your doctor about induction rather than c-section.

1 person likes this.
  8. ramyav_cse

ramyav_cse Gold IL'ite

My baby changed position in the birth canal...he was facing sideways and turned his head in the birth canal...this was the only reason I had to take an epidural. My doctor knew he was facing side ways when I went into labor and she said he wl turn during labor and it was fine if he did not also. The nurses kept reminding me that he was going to turn in the birth canal and he did slowing down my labor close to 9 cms. Child birth was quite an experience when I think of it today :)

9. smileAlways

smileAlways Gold IL'ite

Wow..that's amazing!!

10. srajitha

srajitha Silver IL'ite

Hi Gae ,

One of my friend had to go for C-section because the baby weight was above 3.5kgs and his head was big. They have tried for normal delivery but doc said baby head is slightly away from the cervix. Her height was 5.5"

My maids sister had to go for c-section coz her baby was 3.8kgs , doc said it will be difficult to push the baby of this weight.Her height is 5".

Gae dont think much , I have read on your notes on May due date club , dont worry dear , you are doing right.

Love Raji

1 person likes this.