1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Baby weight at 2 months

Discussion in 'Infants' started by fionashrek, May 6, 2014.

1. fionashrek

fionashrek Silver IL'ite

Hi all,
    My baby weighs 3.5 kgs at two months. His birth weight was 2.64 kg. Initially he lost weight and weighed upto 2.5 kgs.
    He is exclusively breastfed 9-11 times a day. He pees after each feed. He is an alert and extremely active baby. As babies me and my brother were also small. So i assume its genes that are also deciding my baby's weight.
    My doctor does not seem too happy with his weight. I just wanted to know how much your babies weighed at 2 months - just to get an idea.
    Thanks,
    Fiona

2. Chitravivek

Chitravivek Platinum IL'ite

Fiona. BF babies gain weight slowly and steadily. Your baby is on right track and there is no need to worry. Did your doc tell you why he is concerned?

3. meVaidehi

meVaidehi Platinum IL'ite

Yes breastfed babies are little slower in weight gain and it also depends on parent's body type.
    He is active and happy so relax. If he wasn't getting enough food he would have been clear in letting you know by the screaming.
    Mine was 3.5 at birth and 4.5 at 2 months. Right on the good line. Slow and steady.
    They start gaining good weight after 6 months when you start giving solids.
    Take care
    Vaidehi

4. blessbabydust

blessbabydust IL Hall of Fame

hi fiona kudos to u and ur baby ... ... with my younger one i remembered my nurse said my baby should increase everyweek by 150gms - 200gms until 3 months and if you very worried mum try to introduce formula one serve everyday see whether that makes any difference if yes then try to introduce healthy fat items and calcium in your balanced diet

5. fionashrek

fionashrek Silver IL'ite

Thank you all for your replies..
    My doctor said that his weight gain per day is about 15gms which seems less than the average 20-30 gms per day..personally i think there is nothing wrong with my baby..its just that he looks thin and
    The weight is less..

He does cry immediately after i feed him on one side. So i give him the other side. After that he burps very loudly and still cries.
    If i distract him he stops crying. Sometimes he spits up milk also - which indicates he is full. Sometimes when he cries i try to give him formula to check if he is really hungry (doctor has asked to give a topup if required). What he does is, has only upto 30 ml or lesser or spits up a little. All this indicates that my milk is sufficient right? His crying immediately after i take him off the breast every time confuses me.

Fiona

Last edited: May 6, 2014
  6. uma927

uma927 Bronze IL'ite

If baby is really hungry it will cry. If baby is burbing for all the feeds, there is no issues if not then make the baby to burb by rubbing his back or holding him for sometime. it may take 20 min time as well.

Dont over feed baby, You can feed once in a hr if you feel baby is taking only less than 30 ml of milk. Usually babies of 2 months old can take lesser to 50 ml in slots of two hours... and with in when they are 4 months will take 75ml in slots in 2 hours.

Each baby is different and have different pattern, Dont worry if you baby is sleeping and does pee for each feed. This shows normal signs,

Mother milk, initial stage babies wont put on weight but afte 3 months or so , due to over feeding they will put on weight. But if you really feel your feed is less, then try to give formula milk once in between in the morning or early evenings.

Enjoiy your motherhood.