1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

suggestion needed with regard to buying family car

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by Chapra, Apr 18, 2014.

1. Chapra

Chapra Platinum IL'ite

Thanks DKI, for dropping in and giving your valuable suggestion.

Just one question, if you dont mind - Is the resale value good for Dodge caravan....

2. sanravi_1970

sanravi_1970 Gold IL'ite

How about Toyota Sienna. We are also looking for minivans and got a chance to look at Sienna.. Heard its good like honda odyssey. So am just looking at both of these right now, But didn't finalize yet.

3. Chapra

Chapra Platinum IL'ite

Thanks Sanravi-1970. Even I have a liking for these two. Kindly let me know which one u select, once you had selected.

4. DKI

DKI Platinum IL'ite

As always resale value for Japanese vehicles is always more than for American ones. Thats why most Indians buy the Hondas and Toyotas. I don't know about the dodge....if I want to sell it today I can expect about 6.5K. In 2005 I paid 21K out the door. But then I plan to drive it till it dies on me (this is the first vehicle I bought with my own earnings, so its close to my heart )

1 person likes this.
  5. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Chapra, I like the Sienna and love driving it. We bought a used one with less mileage on it and have used it extensively and continue to love it.

1 person likes this.
  6. Chapra

Chapra Platinum IL'ite

Can understand your love for your car, DKI. Knew ....Thats why asked you that question.

7. Chapra

Chapra Platinum IL'ite

Thanks Srama. Let me suggest husband to test drive both Odyssey and Sienna ( I will too).

Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
  8. chitmin

chitmin Gold IL'ite

If you plan to have more than five passengers in your car as a norm, then as the PPs said, a minivan would probably be your best bet. If however, you want a comfortable car for your immediate family that can also seat 7-8 people occasionally, then getting an SUV/Mazda 5 would be feasible. Honestly, car's start losing their value the minute we drive them our of the showroom, so the resale for all cars is poor--but Hondas and Toyotas do seem to do a shade better in this regard.

1 person likes this.
  9. Chapra

Chapra Platinum IL'ite

My apologies for a delayed reply, chitmin. I missed your post.

That's a real good idea but just have one question. Does Mazda 5 wobble in slope or when we drive applying break? The reason behind this question is that the area that I reside is full of slopes and curves. Thats why......

10. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Oh man. Buy the Toyota sienna. I hate minivans and bought a fancy SUV. It guzzles gas like nobody's business(even though it's supposed to give 20+ miles/gallon). Plus all the Lexus, BMW varieties have added Maintenence costs. Mine just underwent a 15,000 miles service and I had to shell out 2 grand to replace tires. Never had that problem with a Camry I drove. Max Maint cost was 100 bucks once a year or so.
    The recent Honda vans have all the frills that my car has and comes for half the price. I wouldn't recommend any SUV. I've driven three and all three were not really fuel efficient.

1 person likes this.