1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

suggestion needed with regard to buying family car

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by Chapra, Apr 18, 2014.

1. Chapra

Chapra Platinum IL'ite

Hi Friends,

PILs might come next summer. Existing car wouldn't be sufficient. Planning of buying a bigger vehicle. Did some research and found out that SUVs and crossovers drink fuel and don't give good mileage. Minivans look huge though (IMO). However, they are a good deal. If minivan, odyssey stands first, I suppose. Do you have anything else in mind? Please suggest.....

Chapra

2. daksh

daksh Silver IL'ite

Honda Oddysey is good. I have been driving Mazda minivan for the past 5 years, like it, it is cheap, but not fuel efficient. I personally like minivans, since they are spacious, ideal for road trip with family, stable to drive during snow.

Recently, we have been looking to buy SUV 2014 Lexus 450 hybrid, it is fuel efficient (30 miles per gallon city), good price for Lexus brand (45K appro.),

1 person likes this.
  3. Chapra

Chapra Platinum IL'ite

Thanks a lot for dropping in and giving your valuable comments, daksh.

Lets see whats our other friends have to say/suggest.

4. chitmin

chitmin Gold IL'ite

By the way, the Lexus 450 does not have third row seating, so might not work for the OP when her PILs visit. The Lexus vehicles with third row seating have a significantly higher pricetag. But if you want to consider SUVs, then the Toyota Highlander also has rave reviews, and might be cheaper than the Lexus, but the Highlander has the extra third row. It's mileage is not that bad from what I have read. ANother contender could be the Honda Pilot (I personally don't care for the boxy shape of the Pilot, but the Pilot and Highlander are both super popular in this category).
    With regards minivans, the Mazda 5 is highly recommended by my friends--but it's definitely much smaller than other minivans, but might work if you will need space for 7 passengers only occasionally.
    I don't drive any of these vehicles, but had researched them when I was in the market for a new vehicle last year. (I picked a sedan since I didnt want a very large car).

1 person likes this.
  5. ramyav_cse

ramyav_cse Gold IL'ite

Did you check on the Acura MDX. It is a SUV with third row seating. Ocourse, the mileage is not great like every other SUV/minivan.

1 person likes this.
  6. Ranchu

Ranchu Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

With toyota highlander, the 3rd row seating will leave NO space in back for luggages. I've travelled in this and its very cramped . May be good for 30 mins to 1 hr travel but not good for day trips.

Whichever car you are doing a test run, make sure to sit on the 3 rd row and do the test drive. it will help you make a decision.

2 people like this.
  7. Chapra

Chapra Platinum IL'ite

Oh, thats a very good suggestion, Ranchu.

So, Highlander is a big "no no" right?

Thanks.

8. Chapra

Chapra Platinum IL'ite

My husband and I, love Acura, ramyav-cse. Our current car is Acura. we love the comfort and safety it provides. The only problem with Acura is its turning radius. Its way too much :(

Think Acura MDX is very similar to the one in turning radius and as you mentioned the mileage is not great....Otherwise, we would have happily settled with MDX....

9. Chapra

Chapra Platinum IL'ite

Thanks Chitmin, for your valuable suggestions.

Sure, will add Pilot to my list. Dropping off Highlander on 'Ranchu's suggestion.

Mazda 5 - I saw review stating that it wobbles too much. Is it so? Any idea?

Am looking at something which gives a sturdy as well as smooth driving experience. I know for sure, 'Honda' is the best when it comes to sturdy, safe, smooth.

Your opinion?

10. DKI

DKI Platinum IL'ite

As a family vehicle, minivans are the best. I have been driving a Dodge grand caravan since 2005. Still runs good, with good mileage. We have done 4 extremely long trips (2500 miles) in it along with parents, PIL and it is good and very comfortable. The pricetag is also good.

1 person likes this.