1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Baby wants to suckle all the time

Discussion in 'Infants' started by fionashrek, Apr 14, 2014.

1. fionashrek

fionashrek Silver IL'ite

Hi friends,

As a new mom to a one-month old baby i have been through all issues including severe issues with milk production, post-partum depression, etc. I am sure everyone goes through this. Everyday one problem gets resolved and a new one comes up..

Right now, my milk production seems better. However, after feeding when i remove my baby from the breast, he cries a lot! It seems as though he is hungry, but I am sure he is full. (He burps and sometimes if he is lying down, he burps and milk comes out from the corner of his mouth. I assume that means he is getting enough milk and is full). I think he just wants to suckle more but I am not sure.

Sometimes when my mother or husband take him over to put him off to sleep, he cries for a while and then forgets what he was crying for. So it is obvious he does not cry because of hunger.

I cannot put him off to sleep AT ALL. Because the minute i take him, he cries and wants the breast. I want to be able to sometimes put him off to sleep as my mother is a little old and cannot carry him to put him off to sleep all the time.

Please help with suggestions.

Fiona

2. aharia

aharia Silver IL'ite

Hi fiona , all moms faced the same problem ....we dont how to react when baby cries ...any how you try this
    1. Your diet ( in your diet you add nv or gastric item ) its definetly
    Affect the baby ...so plan your diet

2.when you go to pedi bring medicine for baby stomach problem
    3. Baby crying for hot & cool you find out hows your baby

4. After feeding put your baby in your shoulder make your baby burp

5.talk to your baby , baby know only your voice & touch , sing lullabby for baby

Hope its helpful

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2014
  3. fionashrek

fionashrek Silver IL'ite

Thanks, will follow your advice.

However, I feel he cries because he wants to keep suckling more even after feed. I do not know how to handle this.

My problem is, i just cannot handle him when i am alone. He keeps rooting when I hold him so I cannot put him off to sleep. I have to call someone else to take him so that he stops rooting and sleeps. When he sees me he roots and cries because he wants to suckle more. :(

Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
  4. shrutimanjunath

shrutimanjunath Platinum IL'ite

Hi

even I'm facing same problem like this. He wants to suck all the time. His weight is on lower side hence Allowing him to suck. But I know he does this for comfort

5. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

If you feel he is full, then after the feed give him a clean finger to suck (when he cries to suck). It works like a charm.

@shruti do not allow comfort sucking for a long time. It will be difficult to break the habit.

2 people like this.
  6. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Fiona, around this age babies go through growth spurts. Also, he is associating you to feeding. Once you are sure he is full, you can try to just hold him and softly sing to him or dance with him or turn the lights down and just rock him. (Not in the breastfeeding position). He is going to have to learn that momma is there for other things too and not just feeding. If that means he is going to cry, let him cry for a few mins. If you constantly give the baby away when he is rooting, he is not going to understand that you are there for other things too.
    Clean cloth or finger sucking can be introduced but try not to give a pacifier. Its a hard habit to break.

2 people like this.