Induction at 40 weeks

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by AnithaPartha, Apr 8, 2014.

1. AnithaPartha

AnithaPartha IL Hall of Fame

Hello Ladies,

I've been scheduled for an induction for this coming weekend. I've couple of questions regarding that as this procedure is going to be very new to me.

I'm 39 weeks today and induction is planned on my due date (April 14th).

I'm already 2 cm dilated, 75% effaced and baby at station -2 (at my 38th week appointment) and dr mentioned that I don't need pill in vagina but just pitocin through IV to get contractions followed by pushing.

Questions are,

1. After how many hours, contractions started after pitocin?
    2. I read somewhere that contractions will be more stronger on pitocin when compared to ladies who deliver through natural labor. Is it so?
    3. Dr mentioned that this is going to be my first time to push 7+ lbs baby as last time I delivered premature baby at 33 weeks and he was just 4 lbs (normal delivery). Anyone experienced such situation?
    4. So, once pitcoin starts, contractions come and we'll start dilating followed by pushing of baby right?
    5. Dr mentioned about breaking waters. Is that done as a part of induction.

Please share your experience ladies so that I can prepare myself for the big day.

I hope to go into my labor on my own before that .. Let' s see

2. RekhaViju

RekhaViju Bronze IL'ite

Anitha, I was not induced to initiate my labour. My labour progressed normally initially, at 7am I was 4 cm dilated. After 5 hours I was still only 4cm dilated. The contractions did not become stronger and lengthier according to the midwife. So first they broke my waters to accelerate labour. After about 2 hours I was barely 5 cm dilated and then they gave me pitocin. Within 3 hours I was 10 cm dilated and tehn the pushing. Pushing phase was very long for me not due to pitocin but due to baby position.

Disadvantage is that you are confined to bed, so taking epidural is a good way as you are anyway not able to move. I didnt take it though.

Second time I had no such interventions.

I think second time becoming easier is not just because of the size of the baby. It is also because your body knows the procedure.

3. RekhaViju

RekhaViju Bronze IL'ite

Hoping really the best for you. I am following your updates in April thread and having not seen you i thought you might have already delivered.

4. AnithaPartha

AnithaPartha IL Hall of Fame

Hi Rekha,

Thanks for the info !

My case is little bit different ma. Reason is, I was taking progesterone shots (Makena) from week 16 till 36 (20+ shots), we slightly had a doubt, if i will be taken into induction.

I'm having all the labor signs such as low back ache, mucous plug discharge, ab pain/crampy, 2cm dilated but the shots are preventing me from going into true labor.

However, am climbing stairs, sweeping house, scrubbed kitchen floor, walking on treadmill and bouncing on ex ball.

5. RekhaViju

RekhaViju Bronze IL'ite

Anitha, Induction is not really bad dear. It is still considered natural birth. You will have your baby soon in your arms.

In addition to what you are doing now, try talking to the baby to come soon :) I heard this helps too.

2 people like this.
  6. shantana

shantana Platinum IL'ite

1. After how many hours, contractions started after pitocin?
    one to 2 hrs
    2. I read somewhere that contractions will be more stronger on pitocin when compared to ladies who deliver through natural labor. Is it so?
    yes.
    3. Dr mentioned that this is going to be my first time to push 7+ lbs baby as last time I delivered premature baby at 33 weeks and he was just 4 lbs (normal delivery). Anyone experienced such situation?
    i delivered 8.58 lbs baby (induced with pills and also pitocin). i had hard time to push him but managed somehow.... mine was 4 hrs labour after having strong contraction. i was put on pitocin at abt 9pm and i was having strong contraction from 12am onwards. i had a jab on my hips to relieve the pain, but it doesnt help much. no epidural.
    4. So, once pitcoin starts, contractions come and we'll start dilating followed by pushing of baby right? yes, it took few hours for me before i was told to push the baby.
    5. Dr mentioned about breaking waters. Is that done as a part of induction. yes

ths was for first baby. i has induced 3 times after 41 weeks and delivered on 4th day after being induce for 3 times. my baby didnt get engaged and i didnt have labor sign at all.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2014