Modern Microwave Cooking

Discussion in 'Ask ChitVish' started by Chitvish, Apr 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

2. baskaran.ramamurthy

baskaran.ramamurthy New IL'ite

Microwave Ovens For Indian Vegetarian Cooking

We are planning to buy a microwave oven . Before doing so we would like to share your experience and seek your advice in choosing the best one.
    What basic features we should consider in the selection of a mcrowave oven. For indian vegetarian cooking
    what type of microwave oven is most suitable.Will it be beneficial to have convection mode microwave oven/ or the plain type
    Where do we get additional microwave safe utensils as add-on.We live In Chennai. I understand Borosil /Corning glass wares are the best for cooking deep fried recipes like Pavakkai roast/Poatato roast etc
    Finally how safe Is microwave cooking
    Regards
    Baskaran

3. Chitvish

Hello Bhaskaran !

The choice of the MW oven depends on your plan to use it.
    If you plan to do baking, ie cakes, biscuits etc, the oven with convection mode is the best.
    If it is just for cooking, the normal MW is good enough.
    24 lts is a good enough size. If you plan to make elaborate baking, 29 lts is ideal.
    I now feel samsung MW is very good & I always lay emphasise on service facilities. I had a LG refrigerator & really had a tough time with servicing.
    There is no second opinion that borosil, corningware etc are the best for cooking. Ceramic vessels can also be used.
    Even the best quality plastic is good for only reheating. MW tupperware steamer is the only non-glass vessel, I use.
    I have been using MW for 12 yrs - that only shows you, that I am convinced it is safe !
    Regards,
    Chithra.

1 person likes this.
  4. vls

vls New IL'ite

wow

Wow, Mrs. C. Pretty impressed with your MW bowls collection. Thank you so much for taking your valuable time to post the pictures to guide us through. It was a very beautiful virtual lesson indeed and YOU're simply superb.

Now I've to quit shopping for clothing, shoes, etc. etc and start investing on pretty, pretty MW bowls like yours. That'll be one of my mission for the future.

Love

5. Chitvish

My dear G !

Wish you success in your enjoyable new mission !
    Love,
    Chithra.

6. baskaran.ramamurthy

Thank you very much for your detailed advice to our queries on the above captioned subject. Sorry to bother you again
    Please advise Where do we get the add-on utensils for microwave ovens in Chennai ?Are they available in large dept stores?
    Kindly give us the deteils of your thread displaying the photos of the various utensils of your choice for microwave cooking
    Is it possible to use the microwave oven to make deep frying of vegetables like Okra , Pavakkai, and Seppan Kizhangu etc like our conventional way of cooking without the convection mode microwave oven
    You had mentioned in one of your threads that Toor Dhal can not be cooked in microwave cooking which is a very interesting information.
    Can u post more recipes and tips regarding microwave cooking under this thread
    Regards
    Baskaran

7. Chitvish

Hello Bhaskaran !

I am very happy to see the interest that you show in MW cooking.
    All MW vessels are available in the Large Rathna Stores( 2nd or3 rd floor) in Pondy Bazar, Poppat Jamal & Currimbhoys in Adayar.
    As far as I have tried one cannot make crisp roast in MW like conventional, kadai cooking.
    You can smear oil on the cooked vegetable & MW it on med, turning over repeatedly.
    Tur dhal, after soaking for 2-3 hrs, can be boiled to கிள்ளு பதம் only, whuch is suitable for poriyals. For soft cooking as for sambar, nothing to equal pressure cooker.
    I will post a MW sambar recipe using masoor dhal, if you are interested.
    Please see aLL POSTS IN
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/showpost.php?p=13778&postcount=1
    for the entire MW cooking I have posted.
    I have recently given a lot of tips also, besides photos of vessels.
    Regards,
    Chithra.

8. Laxmi

Laxmi Administrator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Hello Bhaskaran

You are in the 14th page of the Modern Microwave Cooking. Please start from the first page to know more about MW cooking, tips and bowls.
    When I had plans of buying MW oven I did ask the same set of questions to Chithra Madam. As usual she did patiently explained me. Taking her advice I did go for Samsung MW convection mode C103FL (28 lrs). Mine is a small family - 2 Adults and 2 kids - but still I went in for 28 lrs Convection model as I wanted to use MW for lot of baking cakes.
    Try Chitvish's Eggless chocolate cake and Chocolate fudge - kids would love it. All the recipes are available in the same thread. Browse thru patiently.
    Cauliflower Au Gratin comes out so well ( I tried it as Veg Au Gratin substituting all vegetables along with Cauliflower).

Happy MW cooking
    Note: Chitvish thanks for allowing me to reply on your behalf.

9. baskaran.ramamurthy

Hello Mrs Chitra/Laxmi,
    Thank you very much for your prompt response on the various queries regarding Microwave which we sincerely believe will be of great help to us
    Regards
    Baskaran

10. perfectly_perfect

perfectly_perfect Silver IL'ite

microwavw idli stand

Hi Chitra,
    I ve heard that we can make idli or dhokla in microwave. Can u pls share the recipes with us. Pls tell me if we can cook dhokla in any microwaveble vessel or that needs any specific vessel. Pls show me if u have one or idli or dhokla.
    Thanks n regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.