1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

3 yrs old NOT talking yet HELP WORRIED SO MUCH !!!!

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by SriRuchira, Mar 28, 2014.

1. SriRuchira

SriRuchira Silver IL'ite

Hi friends,
    i have a 3yr old boy whose is not talking yet im so much worried about him.he talks a few words but tough to get words starting with p/t/c/f/k/s/j.. teachers from his school tested him for autisum,ear problems and others bt said he is completely normal but in reports they r labeling it as gross speech motor disorder.. when i see the word disorder my heart breaks and bursts,.. now he started sayinf a to z and writing a to z but a few words he says in a whispering voice.now his speech therapist says that he "might" have apraxia . we r totally sad and worried seeing that. but there are still chances of not havinf apraxia..
    Some of the heartless idiots are comparing my kid to their 2yr olds and making fun of him for not talking. i really feel bad about that and couldnt fight with them .. since they work with my hubby
    some of my friends said that culturally the indian boys talks late-(im worried if he wouldnt understand the USA accent if he is going to talk late and become poor in academics)

can some one help me an idea to make him talk or do any of u mommys are facing the same?

right now he is talking 40+ words

pls help me

2. vidhyalakshmid

vidhyalakshmid IL Hall of Fame

Hi SriRuchira,
    I understand your situation completely. My DD was not talking any clear words until she was 2.5 years. At 2 1/2 she started montessori school, gradually she developed.
    But I used to teach letters and words very very early, I think at 12 months.
    Don`t lose your heart and courage! I am telling you that you go ahead on teaching words and letters. Whether they talk immediately or after sometime, but their brain will grasp everything.
    Now my DD is 7 1/2 , she is correcting my accent. She says `Mom, your are wrong,
    this word should be pronounced like this, that!`. Sometimes I used to recollect those days when she was 2 and blabbered most of the time. Her age kids talked too good and I was worried to the sky.
    One more thing I want to share today she wins prizes in TAMIL ORATORY competitions with good tamil. Ofcourse it is our team effort only.

So, keep courage, pray God and put your maximum effort.
    Good luck!

1 person likes this.
  3. sbmat

sbmat Bronze IL'ite

Hi,
    hugs to u ,
    if the tests are normal then do not be worried so much
    secondly by age of 3 the child should be saying 2-3 letter sentence like I hungry , I go for eg in mother tongue
    since he is saying 40words or more it appears fine to me .
    me-mother of child who was talking less and appeared silent in front of guests.
    also u can make him play on apps which repeats words ,had done this and prompted my child to repeat which has helped a lot in my case

Hope this helps

4. pantu

pantu Gold IL'ite

Hi ,I read your post. When my son was 2 years old he was also talking a few words only.But when I went to my parents home he talked too much! I think that was because he was listening to many people.Don't worry about USA accent ,once he will start to talk it will be fine.Talk more with your mother tongue.

5. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

Hugs to you.

While any suspicion of a disorder is devastating for us, we need to remember that in most cases early intervention is very effective. My nephew didn't speak till he was nearly 4 but now we can't shut him up. I suggest too that you keep at talking to him and expose him to people who just keep talking without putting pressure on him to talk.

Regarding the insensitive people, the less you see them the better. If they make fun of your child, I think you must pleasantly but directly say "please don't make fun of him. It is rather unkind". Then change the topic.

Good luck. I pray everything works out soon.

3 people like this.
  6. RedRuby

RedRuby Platinum IL'ite

Dear OP, my younger cousin didnt speak until 3 years, everyone in the family was worried already and the tests, like for your son, came out normal still some teachers used to scare my aunt. She is now a growing up women, blabbers that u wud like to switch her off by times ;) some kids have a stagnation in speech and then catch up so fast u can barely follow as they understood and learnd all the words before, just didnt use them. Some kids, i heard specially boys, are lazy to speak. So if your son already knows alphabet and 40 words he is fine for his age in my opinion, just continue encouraging him

7. msm

msm Gold IL'ite

I too agree that there is no alarming signals with your son, I've a cousin who didnt speak a word till she was 3.5, 4 and picked up immediately when she started going to school. Now she has completed her Masters and speak very well you know :)

As long as the tests have come out normal and he still has 40 words in his vocabulary, keep building it up and encourage him without pressurizing him. Just try to limit some TV time, but some kids pick up good words from TV/rhymes as well. So try to find which is the trigger for your son and keep trying through that.

All the very best, come out of this mental pressure yourself first, then you can handle him and support him, help him in his speech very peacefully.

8. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

who are those people who make fun!!! seriously..some people are senseless!

anyways..can you do one thing? Are you a homemaker?why am asking this is if you are you can use this time and go to India for 3 to 4 months.One India trip will do the trick..coz your kid will hear so many voices,too many people.non-stop talking,definite improvement..

think about it dear..

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2014
  9. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I agree with guesswho's point about the benefit of early intervention. There is nothing wrong with it. My cousin who was born here was sent for speech therapy because she could not get r/t/h. Her parents did not tell anybody. They just decided to wait and watch the outcome. So just wait and watch. It may end up being nothing. So pray and hope for the best.

Meanwhile interact with him. Use every opportunity to strike a conversation with him. Dont force him to answer back but you speak to him. If he says milk you ask him 'Are you hungry? Do you want milk?'. If he nods his head tell him you would know only when he answers the question.

Read books in fact lot of books. Books help improve vocabulary.

2 people like this.
  10. Sai3A21

Sai3A21 Platinum IL'ite

Dear OP,

I can understand your situation as my cousin went thru the same. Her son too dint start talking till 2.5yrs and she was so worried. Yh, its true that most of Indian boys start talking little late compared to girls. Start talking to your son as much as possible. Thats how they learn to talk. Earlier, grand parents used to tell all stories and talk to babies by which the babies start talking at a much smaller age. But now blame the nuclear families and onsite working opportunities where the babies get to listen to much lesser words which leads to the delay in speech.
    As you have mentioned, the reports are normal - nothing to worry. keep on talking to him. Ask him as many questions in general so that his mind registers those words and soon he will start talking non-stop. Couple of months, and you will ask him - can u pls be quiet for sometime baby :p