1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Which is better?

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by ananyakiran, Mar 24, 2014.

1. ananyakiran

ananyakiran Gold IL'ite

HI Ladies,

I wanted to know if there is anyone who has lived in both countries USA and CANADA ???

I wish to know which is a better country to live, from a woman's point of view.

Thank you for spending time in writing the responses.

2. anmolhai

anmolhai Platinum IL'ite

If you are looking from a Women's right point of view then I would there is not much different.

1 person likes this.
  3. JustMyself

JustMyself Gold IL'ite

Hello Ananya,

Why this question ? Did you find anything different between CA or USA in terms of women's rights / equality ?

1 person likes this.
  4. ananyakiran

ananyakiran Gold IL'ite

I have lived only in USA, not visited Canada but was thinking of applying for a Canadian visa... so this question.

5. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

Ananya -

My experiences arw gathered from reading newspapers, forums, friends and I have not lived in Canada. I live in the US (NY). If you are looking from a women's equality point of view then both are the same or may I say Canada is a little more liberal while USA "appears" to be liberal. However, essentially I would think both are the same.

If we talk from other perspectives, there are some scenarios where US is better than Canada and vice versa.

In my opinion:
    -Transportation (public transit, roads etc) - both are similar
    -Higher taxes in Canada ( provincial plus federal). But this is not a big deal for those of us who live in high tax cities in US such as NYC
    -Weather wise most of Canada is similar to mid west weather but places like MN get even colder than toronto or montreal. British Columbia province is quintessential west coast weather
    -Canada laws and policies are to my preference ( Eg. Canada does not allow gun permits, crime rate is mostly lower, immigration policies are fair and favor the hardworking class, Canada does not act like the world's big daddy and hence is safe from "attacks"
    -Healthcare system in US is great if we have decent insurance. Canada provides "free" insurance to all its residents but there are some issues like waiting times etc
    -Canadian public school system is great unlike the US, US universities are more ranked (but not necessarily better)
    -Most graduate programs in Canada are close to 100% funding unlike US
    -Jobs for some sectors are more in US vs Canada. Some sectors such as agriculture, civil engineering etc are more in Canada
    -Canada has millions of acres of green spaces, parks, lakes etc (road trip very common) while US has more man made stuff like Disney world,Times square, Golden gate, etc
    -Air quality in Canada is supposedly cone of the cleanest in the world ( try breathing NY air LOL)
    -Canadians are not pretence. Americans show on the face that they love everyone but are happy to think evil of anyone

There are sure more pros and cons, but this is what I know.
    -

4 people like this.
  6. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

IF you are thinking of applying for a visit visa, there is nothing to compare. IF you are planning to apply for a work/permanent visa then read up more about Canada. No country is perfect but, in my mind, Canada is closer to perfect that US is.

1 person likes this.
  7. ramyav_cse

ramyav_cse Gold IL'ite

You should compare the maternity leave policies...man Canada is one place any mom would like to deliver since u can take upto 52 weeks without losing your job.

Source: Maternity Leave Basics: Canada Vs. The U.S.

2 people like this.
  8. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

Ramya -

Agree!!! They have one year time with 50% pay and no loss of job. I forgot that, no kids yet :)

1 person likes this.
  9. ananyakiran

ananyakiran Gold IL'ite

Thank you all for your precious advice. Appreciate it !