Advice related to Pregnancy

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by SGBV, Mar 26, 2014.

1. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

I know every pregnancy is unique, and different from person to person. Being a recent mom, and a mom of two I am yet to learn several things related to pregnancy. After all, I am not a Gynecologist to speak confidently about pregnancy related issues.

Having said that, I am here looking for your insight regarding my SIL's pregnancy now.

She is 7W pregnant now. She has been recently moved in with us, because she has been asked to take complete rest by the doctor.

She is taking progesterone and folic acid as prescribed by the doc. The doc initially said at 5W scan that the heart beat of the baby is not heard, and chances are there for miscarriage. However, we did not tell this to SIL till now.

She sleeps 24/7. I mean it.
    I know it is advisable to be on rest while carrying, but I am not sure whether it is ok to sleep all the time. Specially when you sleep like this, you would probably miss out your meals on time, and also you would become too tired and lazy.
    Above all, too much sleep in day time would make you awake through out night, although you are in bed. I am not sure whether it is ok at this crucial stage.

Her next app is tomorrow.

Before advising her, I need to know whether it is something to do with the progesterone? If so, is there anything to ensure that she eats, and drinks on time. I am equally bothered about her water in take, since she will be on bed most of the time, in deep sleep inside her room. Is it ok to drink less water?

2. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

SG,
    The prog made me super nauseous and I slept all the time to wade off the nausea. I could still sleep at night. The minute I stopped the prog, I was back to my active self.
    I'd say let her sleep as much as she pleases. It won't harm her or the baby in any way. I couldn't drink water because of the nausea. It was always lemon juice/ tender coconut for me. Any water made me sick.

HTH,
    L

sindmani and Saisakthi like this.
  3. sweetypi

sweetypi Platinum IL'ite

SGBV,

Your SIL or the person accompanying her could discuss this matter with her obgyn. If the doctor says that there's no problem, then you all need not worry. Otherwise, the person taking care of her primarily will have to be more vigilant, and since the advice is from her doctor, your SIL will be more likely to follow it.
    Progesterone is likely to be the culprit since it causes most of the wonderful side effects of pregnancy !

4. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

My SIL's has come to our place recently. Her maid says that she is usually a day sleeper. Even before she becomes pregnant, she used to sleep a lot in day time since she has got nothing to work at home. She is a home maker, with a helper around, and my brother is out for work almost all the day times!

Since it was the first case among us with complicated pregnancy, we are somewhat alerted. Both my mom and the helper (they are old) recurrently say that it is not recommended to sleep too much while you are carrying. They doubt her frequent sleep might harm the baby's development.

Before we advice on her, I just want to read your insights too. Frankly I would support for extensive sleeping at this stage as this would be the last peaceful sleep one would enjoy in her life time. Once kids are born, you will permanently lose your sleep. I am experiencing this now :)

1 person likes this.
  5. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

SG,
    My MIL always said that too. I'm glad you are an understanding SIL. I guess she will eventually get little to no sleep, so let her chill out now. I don't think it will harm the baby. When my mil brought it up I did ask the doc. He had a nice laugh! He said he had never heard that one before.

sindmani and SGBV like this.
  6. RekhaViju

RekhaViju Bronze IL'ite

Pregnancies are as you might know very different for different people. I am not a good sleeper, but during the first 3 months of pregnancy I slept for 14-15 hours some days. Let her sleep, sleepless nights for atleast 2-3 years waiting for the poor girl

1 person likes this.
  7. sara1104

sara1104 Senior IL'ite

I hav had a hard time conceiving.... And I slept till my 45th day for almost the whole day... I have to drag myself out to eat... Even before I complete my meal, I fall flat on the dining table... Only in the eve, I felt normal... I used to drink loads of water then... Then on my 46th day, I felt normal... Adding to that the progesterone tablets can really make a person dizzy.... I think its quite normal for her to sleep like that...