1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Advice please - Moving to Mississauga/Canada

Discussion in 'Indians in Canada' started by newcomer76, Mar 25, 2014.

1. newcomer76

newcomer76 New IL'ite

Hi all,
    We are most likely to relocate to Ontario/Canada with a kid.
    1)My husband's package would be approx. 110000 CAD per annum. Kindly advice how much rough expenses would be including 2 bed room rental, etc.Is this a decent package to consider?

2)Also, his office would be in Mississauga or Ontario most likely. Any suggestion where to stay (looking for average cost of living/safe localities)? Is it possible to manage without a Car?

3)Winter clothing: Do you recommend to buy all reqd jackets in India or canada? If expensive in canada, we can buy in India itself.

4)Where to find majority of Indian community staying? How to get English Medium Public school for my kid who is now in 2nd standard?

thank you
    Newcomer

2. anmolhai

anmolhai Platinum IL'ite

Welcome :)

1) Not sure how much he rentals are in Mississauga-- I am thinking anywhere between 1200-2000$/month depending on area, facilities etc

2) Its difficult to manage without a car. Mississauga is big and there are lots of Indians.

3) You can buy in India but not sure how thick they will be for winters here ( -20 deg wind chill some times).

4) Mississauga has lots of Indians. All public schools are English medium only ( wondering if u think majority are French) Once you decide where u r living your kids get to go that area public school. All you would need is transcripts from previous class.

all the best.

3. libra4164

libra4164 Silver IL'ite

Please make sure you bring all the vaccination records of your kid. It will be needed at the time of school admission.

4. libra4164

libra4164 Silver IL'ite

I am sure rent should be under a thousand as long as you are not living near square one in Mississauga.

5. laasya2109

laasya2109 New IL'ite

Hi

1. In mississauga u can get a flat between 1000-1400 for a decent locality for 2 bhk.

2.with out car it is not possible . main thing in winters it is very difficult.

3. i strongly suggest that u sholud buy winter clothing only here. indian clothing not suitable for winter which most of the times filled with wind chills(-20 to -30)

4.as some one told that u must bring ur kid's vaccination record.after u find a place to stay . u have to go to the we welcome wolrd centre to register ur kid they will allocate the nearest school in ur locality.

5. here u can find indian community.after ur kid strts schoo, u will find them :)

welcome to canada.

laasya

6. newcomer76

newcomer76 New IL'ite

All, Thanks a lot for all your suggestions. Forgot to ask you one important thing ;)
    1)I presume that all Elementary schools Eng med schools are free. Please confirm.
    2)What about Play school/Kindergarten? I have a 3.5 yrs old kid who needs to start this Pre-schooling? Can we find any Free schools? Or we need to pay Fee? If so, how much roughly?

thanks once again

7. anmolhai

anmolhai Platinum IL'ite

Yes Public schools are free from Kindergarten till grade 12.

Children can start Kindergarten from Age 4. Before that age they can be in Daycare where u have to pay. If you qualify you can apply for subsidy.

8. newcomer76

newcomer76 New IL'ite

Thank you all.
    Just a few more clarifications though ;)
    My work location would be Missisauga. Where do you suggest us to take 2 BHK apartment rental? I am looking for a very affordable yet safe location close to public shools, etc for my family. Of course I will be buying a car as soon as I reach there ;)
    Will I get a decent 2 bhk (for 2 kids) in the range of 1000 to 1100 CAD?

9. anmolhai

anmolhai Platinum IL'ite

I guess in Mississauga you can get an apartment in that price range. I am no help as to what area. Mississauga is big so depends which side is your work.

10. newcomer76

newcomer76 New IL'ite

Thanks. Any thing on Mobile phone contracts? Better to dump my handset here and buy a new one in contract? Or, contract out there does not include handsets?