1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Running Club

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by justanothergirl, Mar 19, 2011.

1. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I did a short 2.3 miles run today. Had to do it indoors because of the winds outside. It took me 28 mins today! I'm definitely able to slow down if I concentrate on it :).

I'm tired and have a headache today. I must be low on something. I'm thinking its sugars. I'm going to drink a honey/lemon tea in a bit.

Hopefully on Thursday I can run outdoors.

4 people like this.
  2. Laks09

Today I ran 3.2 miles in 36 mins. Indoor track since it is still cold outside. Well for me 43 is cold. Ltd see how Friday goes. I didn't want to run today but my DH says that 4 days/week are ok since I'm not able to run 5k without gasping and panting!
    I've run in the indoor track since 12/26(day 1 of couch to 5k). On that day 1, I had to run for a minute and I was running half the length of the track(track is 0.1 mile). I kept thinking that I can never run the stipulated 30 laps EVER and here I am 9 weeks later running those 32 laps and still having it in me to go further.
    All these days nobody said anything to me. Except today, I finished, walked my cool down and was stretching when a lady stopped and exclaimed how fit I was. I wanted to hug her.

4 people like this.
  3. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Laks,

first things first! That is a compliment about how fit you are and we all know you work at it and so hard too. Awesome girl. As for the weather I get it. When you are used to so much warmth, 43 does feel cooold.

Thank you for the updates. I can clearly see how you are progressing. I wish I could update as much but I limit running to only Saturdays. I am supposed to add another day in between a 45 min run. One schedule does not permit and two I would rather do something else like yoga or strength than run :hide: Now don't come running after me to chase me down for saying that in the running club.

My goal is to include more and more yoga and I am still working at it. You see, the way I see it I can see myself doing yoga when I am pretty old but I am not able to see myself running that far into old age. So I am working towards that.....err old age.

On a serious note, my week goes like this -
    Mon/wed/fri - spinning 45 mins each
    Thur - strength and yoga - 45 mins and one hour
    Sat - endurance run....as given by the group
    Sun - yoga - practice and teaching

Tuesday is my rest day and right now I am enjoying waking up late Tuesday mornings especially since I end up staying Monday nights watching my favorite programs on TV till 11! I can't miss Blacklist you see :) But I am tempted to include a run on Tuesdays just to give you company Laks and to tell my coach that I am trying!

PS: My limitations with work outs are if I don't get done by 7 in the am, I pretty much don't work out. Not able to break that habit.

1 person likes this.
  4. Laks09

Sabitha,
    I'd love a partner! Nothing like comparing notes with a buddy. Maybe we can partner up,on endomondo(I don't like the fact that the app doesn't direct me like google maps)!

On a serious note though, you do need the rest day! I'd say add a run to Wednesday if possible. Nothing major, a two/three miler. A mid week run is probably all you need. I can't imagine a pre 7:00 AM run. I'll die if I wake up before 7:00 on any given day.

I'm thinking about yoga myself. Haven't found the teacher yet. I'm going to start soon though, I'm growing bored of not having any strength training in my routine. I'm sure my shoulder will handle yoga better than strong lifts at this point.

Old age? What old age? Lets strive to be young until our dying day! Old age is for wimpies, Sabi. We have to stay young at heart. I've to learn from my mil, she claims to be 60 years young! You are right though, I keep thinking as to how long I can do all the things I do for fitness. I'm sure yoga/Pilates etc will be really helpful then. I'm even thinking of Tai Chi. My aunt goes and loves it!

I ran outside today, just for the fun of it. I just did couple of miles with a 11 min/mile pace(endomondo said that, I can never be certain). We have a park/pond/trail. Pond is just 0.6 miles and it was so cold I didn't want to be anywhere near the pond. I did the park trail. It is a 4 km run but I walked for the initial warm up and cool down. I just wanted to try outdoors. I loved running at 42. It was windy and chilly and I almost turned around because of how windy it was. I just ran anyway! After the first mile, I was more worried about my numb hands than the outdoor run. At the end of mile 2, I wanted to push through to 3 but decided not to hurt myself by being over zealous. I went running because I didn't make it into class on time ;)
    In a couple of days we are in the 70s again and I'll be gasping and gagging again!

Found a running group. Will let you know how that goes. I'm not too optimistic though.

1 person likes this.
  5. Laks09

Outside run with a running group. 2.75 miles @ 11mins/mile. Temps were ok 50s but it was windy and chilly. Nice group of women though. Enjoyed the run. Never felt this good about running. Miles melt when you are having a good time :). Wish I found a weekday run buddy.

2 people like this.
  6. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Nice going Laks! So impressed with you. Stick to that group I tell you. The fun is so different, isn't it?

My updates. Did a 8 mile run perhaps 13 min miles. It was one of the toughest runs ever! The first four miles were uphill. In fact so uphill when we tried looking down after climbing up, the city appeared to be a speck at a distance. Killed us pretty much but then like the coaches put it, we did it and we cannot take that away :)

Weather was alright at 47 but the route for me personally was pretty bare with very little nature but hey no complaints. Got it done and the salt pills are doing wonders. Touch wood is all I can say. This is the second run without a splitting headache. Got to stick with it.

Laks keep the updates coming. Love them.

2 people like this.
  7. Laks09

Sabitha - a hill run! Now that's something I've never tried. Good going!
    salt tablets are good. How about gel packs? I'm thinking about those when I do longer runs. Saw something about it a while ago.
    The group members gave me a few training plans to look at. I'm going to find one and stick to it in the next couple of weeks. Until then it's going to be 5ks and shorter runs.

8. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Laks, though I have been running for a couple of years now, I am yet to try either the Gu or the blocks or the beans :( I hear good things about them and my DH uses them. To be honest I have not felt a need for them yet. So I simply stick to gatorade if I feel the need or just water. But I do read a lot where in they say that most of them take every 45 mins or so and that it gives them the required energy. Since I am running at a comfortable pace for me and not pushing myself, not tried that. It does take some getting used to. So you might want to start trying it out on longer runs. Most people refer to a need for them around 8 miles and our own running group starts providing once we hit the 6 mile week.

I have to certainly hydrate two days before I run and I either eat a banana or oat meal for breakfast before the run. Yesterday did not have oatmeal or a banana and so had honey bunches and I think I could see the difference. It was not hunger as much as energy levels!

1 person likes this.
  9. k11

k11 Silver IL'ite

Coming to the thread and forum after a long time.
    I stopped working out from Nov to Jan as I was on vacation and traveling.

Joined a new gym, closer to my home and much smaller/cheaper.
    My old gym was huge and was near a high school so it used to have a lot of athletes, professional fitness enthusiasts, most importantly many good looking girls.
    New one has enough equipment and cardio machines for me. But the quality of benches and some cable machines are not up to the mark, they are wobbly sometimes. Most ripped out guy in the new gym to my surprise is an Indian guy who comes there as a trainer. He does not get a lot of training sessions as the crowd is too small and most people are casual gym goers.

I have started doing my 5k runs once a week.
    First couple of weeks it was 2 miles, then to 2.5, 2.75. Now for the last two weeks I have been going beyond 3. Want to do it faster in 25 mins.

@Laks09,
    Reading the last few pages, Crazy improvement in few months.
    Were you in good shape all the time and just took to running all of a sudden.
    If you are not then you should consider doing an ad for an Indian version of P90X.

1 person likes this.
  10. Laks09

K11 - I started from the far end of the couch in April but I have an excuse(a baby and tending to the baby). I used to do other stuff but took to running only in December.

Sabitha - I did an outdoor run today and almost collapsed. I stepped out when the temps were 77(I thought it was 60s today) and into my first mile I was dry mouthed and gasping. I did take multiple short walk breaks to run my 3.2 miles today. Afterwards, I found that my pace was too fast(9 mins/mile) and that didn't help the hydration one bit. I'm glad I took my water belt along. I finished all three bottles of water before I got home. I better start taking Gatorade and gel packs with me. I wish the running apps told me to slow down when I went too fast or navigated me when I go off course. The two I tried so far don't seem to do that. Next run is with the group, same park opp to my house! I love that one complete run end-end around the park is exactly 3.2 miles. Helps keep my 5k going.

1 person likes this.