1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Suggestion needed on Bath tub

Discussion in 'Home Decoration & Improvement' started by fd98393, May 19, 2008.

1. fd98393

fd98393 New IL'ite

Hi,

I want to have a bath tub fitted in one of the toilets for a new apartment we are planning to book. But however, I am not sure on the problems associated with having a bathtub or its usage....
    I dont know if this is a silly question as I havent seen anyone using bath tubs much in Chennai other than in star hotels. But, its just my fantasy and I want to check on it before I let it die without checking on it.
    Any of you here using bath tubs in India? Can you please tell me pros & cons attached to it.
    I dont know if this piece of info helps--I am staying with my parents, I am 27 yrs old and the area we are planning to buy apartment doesnt have water problem.

Thanks...

2. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

dear,
    it has been my dream too to own a bath tub we used to have it in kolkata where the building was from the britishers time so all bathrooms were fit with that and what a wonderful cooling room it turned out to be, one can lie down in summer and kolkata most of the time it is hot at least 10 months only dec and jan may be too cold, but is a great investment if it is not hard water, as the brown stains that get in may be difficult to clean, other wise do not hesitate, you can have some ice cubes in it to go with and have cool bath good for spine, headache, back ache, stress, high bp due to heat, and many others, this is like the oonjal in a house once u rock u can relax immediately, like wise if the water is cool all is cool..sunkan

3. shanthi krishna

shanthi krishna New IL'ite

Yes, as su nkan says, if its not hard water it's OK. But, people in Tamil Nadu, and also in South India, use turmeric in their bathing process. In such cases, it will become difficult to clean the tub. They also take oil bath frequently. how is it possible to clean it? double work. Better to bath as usual.

4. Sylviaram

Sylviaram Bronze IL'ite

Hey fd98393,

I totally agree with Sunkan.. its a bliss to have a bathtub.. When we bought a flat in India, we installed a bathtub in one of the bathrooms and it was amazing.. you can chose a slightly darker color if you are worried about the hard water stains..

All flats come with more than one bathroom and so you can use the other bathroom for the oil baths.. If you clean the bathrub regularly with detergent, there is no issue at all..

We use the bathtub once a week and its a great family time.. My son has loads of water animals and he will fill the tub with water and get into it with the animals.. its a regular weekend affair..

My suggestion would be to go in for a bathtub in one of the bathrooms.. its worth a try.. as Sunkan mentioned, on a tiring day, you can fill warm water with some essential oil and take a relaxing dip.. its worth a try.. believe me.. you will not regret.

Cleaning is no big deal... you just have to clean it regularly like the washbasin.. that is all.

Cheers!
    Sylvia

5. Sumathy

Sumathy Senior IL'ite

Hi,

I also love the bath tub experience and we have one in our apartment house. These are some tips that may be useful to you.

Go for the PVC one rather than the ceramic one ( the latter can chip off and is more expensive)
    If you are going to regularly take oil bath and use turmeric, it is not a good idea to use the bath tub.
    What you can do is have this in one bathroom and use another regular one for oil baths, etc as others have suggested. Or if you have space, you can have bathtub in one corner and a regular bathing area in another corner.
    Use shower curtains
    Pay attention to the fittings in the bathtub. You get different varieties, one with hand shower and tab, hand shower, tap and head shower, etc
    Once a week, just scrub the bathrub. Once a year or so, you need to do proper cleaning with washing soda.
    You can get some aroma essential oils and use them in the bath. There are specific oils recommended for various moods and effects. For eg, lavender smooths. Never use the oil directly - always dilute with coconut or olive oil and pour droplets into the water (not in empty bathtub
    It is a great way to unwind in the bathtub with the the aroma oil and an aromatic candle.

Have fun,

Cheers,

Sumathy

6. Sumathy

Sumathy Senior IL'ite

A typo error in the post. Lavender oil soothes the mind.

7. fd98393

fd98393 New IL'ite

sunkan,shanthi,sylvia,sumathy..

Thank you veryyyy much for your inputs....I am convinced to go in for a bath tub....and thanks for the warnings on choosing dark color, material type etc...It is very helpful. I am also thinking of putting it in one bathroom only. My mother uses turmeric regularly, and we do take oil baths at times. So the other bathroom can be used for oil baths. I think the water is not hard water, but I will double check on it.

I feel very happy to be part of this ladies community. Feels so good to ask and share.

Thanks to all of you
    -Renuka (fd98393- I just used my college roll# as id by habit :) )

8. Saahithya

Saahithya Silver IL'ite

Hey Renuka

many of my relatives have got bath tub installed in their apts and specially now a days its very in style..good luck with that and hope you would enjoy it...am sure you know this..just wanted to give you an idea that you have tile cleaning liquids which can clean the tubs very well..ensure that the drain is clear without any blockages and also put in a handle to hold while standing or while getting up from the tub..these are very simple thoughts just to start with...if you can get the wall tiles installed for atleast around 6 ft (which is the normal specified height of tile installation for the new flats) it would really give a great look and yeah if you choose dark colors really it stands out well and feels gorgious...hope you will enjoy...good luck..

9. Sylviaram

Sylviaram Bronze IL'ite

Dear fd98393,

I am glad that my input was helpful to you.. I hope you get the right tub that suits you and that you and your family have a great time!

Cheers!
    Sylvia