Austin Vs Bay Area

Discussion in 'Indians in Austin' started by priya25, Aug 11, 2011.

1. radhika_shankar

radhika_shankar New IL'ite

Re: Planning to move from Bay area to Austin

How do we figure out rental homes in Avery Ranch ? Can you let us know about this. Are you renting a home in Avery Ranch too ?

2. shobana 007

shobana 007 Gold IL'ite

hi,riverton has a small area for kids ..see img..thats not the real one...some what lik this with grass area having 2 benches.few indians also there.

lge_parks_Bulkeley_600x398.jpg

3. Nov09baby

Nov09baby Senior IL'ite

We bought our home here. I exactly not sure about finding homes for rent but maybe you can look up MLS listings etc. to see if they list rental homes.

4. revaselva

revaselva Senior IL'ite

hi radhika,
    how different is it in austin to bay area? I would like to knw the pros and cons of these 2 places to move with my family. mainly due to house pricing. please let me know.
    thanks,
    revathi

5. revaselva

revaselva Senior IL'ite

Hi Reena,

You spoke words from my mind! Sorry I understand its a old post. But I just came across this today, since I am sailing in the same boat of thoughts. I am a fulltime working mom of 2 kids, 4yr old and a 17month old. Right now I have to decide where to move by early next yr so that I can apply for kindergarden for my elder one. I own a home in sunnyvale where schools are not good. But cupertino and fremont, where schools r good, have become very pricey. So other options within bay area are very far to work. So, frustrated with the financial situation, where i have to dump lot of hard earned money into home and also being forced to work with that situation, makes me think of moving to texas, which is reasonably priced. But would want to know if i will miss bay area, interms of indian community and other activities for kids. me and my husband are not very adventurous types, so we dont need bay area for that fun purposes. All it matters for me right now is to have a peaceful life and enjoy motherhood. Please suggest.
    Thanks,
    Revathi

6. Jey

Jey Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Revathi,

I haven't lived in Bayarea, but have been there quite a few times. A friend of mine recently visited us because he was exploring moving from Bayarea to Austin as well. He also thought of moving for exactly the same reason you mentioned. He bought a house in the $900K range in bay area and feel like that is a big burden with no financial slack.

Things you will miss about bay area..
    - The density of Indian people. There are a lot of Indians here, but it won't feel like a mini-India like Bay Area or New Jersey. Some people like that about Austin.
    - The year round warm and sunny climate. Austin gets quite hot during Summer (~100-105F) and reasonably cold during winter (~40-45 F)
    - If you are into the hardcore startup job, you won't find that level of intensity in Austin. It is a more friendly place.
    - If your kid is into learning Indian arts, the density of teachers won't be as high as in bayarea. Guessing this, offcourse.

Thing you will love in Austin
    - The House prices are very affordable. You can get a 3000 Sq Ft house for ~$300 - $400K in a very nice neighborhood.
    - No state income tax!
    - A very manageable city. It is neither too big like Houston or Dallas and nor too small. Navigating around the city, downtown etc are all like how a city should be.
    - Great city to bring up kids. Schools are excellent. Lots of extra-curricular support structure. Plenty of places to do birth day parties, kids entertainment etc.
    - Austin is becoming the defacto second choice for tech companies looking for a second base outside bayarea. So, finding a job in that space won't be a big issue.
    - It is pretty outdoorsy. Enough of site seeing places and weekend getaways, if you are into that.

If all you want is to have a safe, friendly and peaceful place to live life and raise a family, Austin would be a great choice!

Bonus - I will give you one another big reason to move to Austin - It is the home town of Indusladies!

Jey

2 people like this.
  7. new2austin

new2austin New IL'ite

Welcome. We moved from the Bay area three years ago. I am not a frequent visitor on the board but am getting to know the town slowly.As Jey has mentioned there is a sizeable Indian community here it is not a mini India.
    If there are any ladies in the south west area ,it would be nice to meet.
    Jey, I sent you a friend request. I would love to know more about"It is the home town of Indusladies!" and of course you.

8. Jey

new2austin, absolutely. I sent you a pm.

9. cgopal

cgopal New IL'ite

Hi,
    Jey I liked your post and I agree with you on your bay area leaving points.

We are about to be moving from bay area to Austin or Dallas, still deciding which one would be better. Moving from bay area is a tough decision considering it feels like home :). Would appreciate if anyone can help with a few points.
    1. Which place is better Dallas or Austin considering moving from bay area and we know no one in either places.
    2. Can you please suggest a good elementary schools in either places?
    3. A good apartment with gas range and Indian population in either places.

Apreciate your help.

10. Jey

@cgopal

Not sure how I missed it. You need to mention me so I get notified and I can come and reply. Anyway, here are some responses.

1) Those are two very different cities. Dallas is big, wide and spread out. Lots of companies, job opportunities, easy air-transportation, tons of Indians, flat land etc. Austin is small, eclectic, more pretty etc. But the main difference for most people is that Dallas has a much variety of job opportunities than Austin. In Austin, I feel that is a bit limited.

2) For good elementary schools in austin, see this.
    10 Best Elementary Schools for Indians in Austin

3) For good Apartment complexes, see these..
    Top 10 Apartment Complexes for Indians in North Austin
    Top 10 Apartment Complexes for Indians in Round Rock
    Top 10 Apartment Complexes for Indians in South Austin

Hope that helps.