1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Plastic or wooden cutting boards

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by kanaka Raghavan, Feb 19, 2014.

1. kanaka Raghavan

kanaka Raghavan IL Hall of Fame

Which is the healthier option for cutting boards plastic or wooden?

2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

between wooden and plastic i prefer plastic, with the grooves that form from knife cuts, in case of wooden, there is lot of germs going to stay in and also wooden boards are pourous and with knife slashes tend to absorb and retain lot of what s cut, and cleaning and sanitizing is not satisfactory.

with plastic again there is a chance of piece of plastic fibre getting in depending on the knives' sharpness and bacterial contamination is equally there unless it is cleaned regularly.

cleaning and santizing them with a vinegar wash is best..and also whichever board is used to be replaced after a period and not to allow it be used after it is stained and worn out.

i have started using a granite board for cutting certain type of vegetables that leave stain and also get lodged onto boards if used.

5 people like this.
  3. kanaka Raghavan

Thanks for the reply Shanvy.

4. orchidgb

orchidgb Silver IL'ite

where can i get granite boards.

5. DrPreetha

DrPreetha Gold IL'ite

6. kanaka Raghavan

Maybe in STAINLESS STEEL SHOPS.In Nilgris I have seen only the granite chappati roll board only.

7. VaniVyas

VaniVyas Platinum IL'ite

I cannot say for sure wooden boards, but in plastic boards there are less chances of durability. They leave strong impressions of knives and give a dirty look, Whereas, i do have a wooden board too.
    it looks neat and clean.

8. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

granite block i bought in store that is used for making rotis..this is a bigger size..so i used it for chopping. no marks, as long as handled well it wears well..but can't say it will be the same if chipped.

plastic or wooden, they need to be replaced periodically atleast once a year if not in six months. depends on your usage level and the knife's sharpness as well as your cutting technique. some do it soft that no mark is left on wood or platic, while others leave grooves...

2 people like this.
  9. vidyabaskar

vidyabaskar Silver IL'ite

Thank you shanvy mam.
    I have plastic board and I was concerned that I should change to wood as wood is more natural and what if i am eating plastic from chopping boards. Your clarification is helpful. There are glass chopping boards available here in UK. Can you pls give your valuable advice on using glass(I haven't bought one, but am considering the option in near future)

thanks, vidya

10. ashyprynia

ashyprynia Bronze IL'ite

I use a "tile" for cutting. It is economical and safe too. Little care while handling is needed, but you have options as far as size is concerned, is available in tiles shops.
    Wooden and Plastic are a big NO for me.
    Granite slab piece or a marble piece for the fact, maybe heavy, so tile can be easy that way.