1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

8 months old baby

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by qwe, Feb 28, 2014.

1. qwe

qwe New IL'ite

Hi,
    My baby is 8 months old..He takes 2 naps a day,total 3 hrs..his daily schedule..

8:00 BF
    9:30 ragi kanji/idly/nestum rice kanji
    11:30 Bf for 10 mins
    12:45- pappu sadam with veggies/fruits
    2:00 bf for 10 mins
    5:00 snack time-apple/banana with milk
    6:00 BF
    7:30 idly/rice kanji with curd
    9:00 bed time -3 oz of formula
    He wakes up every 2-3 hrs at night..How can I get my baby to sleep through the night?pls help..

2. Chitravivek

Chitravivek Platinum IL'ite

Is he in BF during night? Generally BF babies do like to latch in the night. Do you think he is hungry or using as pacifier? Also 3oz is little for 8 month old. Have you tried increasing the formula at night?

1 person likes this.
  3. qwe

qwe New IL'ite

Sometimes I bf him r offer d bottle at nights..I don't think he s hungry..he nurses for comfort..how many oz can I give him at bed time?

4. Chitravivek

Try increasing it to 6oz. Its really your baby Will be able guide you on how much oz he needs. If you see him showing signs that he can go more than 3 then you should give. Sometimes they nurse due to teething too.

5. Chitravivek

Op I meant 4 oz and not 6

6. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

At 8 months he is still not ready to sleep through the night. It is usually at around 12 months that he'd be able to sleep through. I suggest you work out a schedule such that he has 2 1.5 hour naps during the day and 12 hours at night. In that 12 hour period, see if you can introduce 2 feeds. Eg. Put him to bed by 7 pm. Then around 10 feed him once in his sleep. Again feed him around 2:30. That should last till 7 in the morning. It also helps if your child has a separate sleeping space - not next to you - so that he doesn't just want to suckle for comfort simply because you are there. The baby whisperer website and books were very useful to me in this regard. By the time my dd was a year old, she would sleep through the 10 pm bottle and only wake past 6 for the next feed.

7. qwe

qwe New IL'ite

Thanks chitra for ur reply..I tried increase it to 4-5 0z ..again the same story..thts y I asked the nos..

@guesshoo thanks yaar for ur suggestion..really helpful..will try it out.

8. sbmat

sbmat Bronze IL'ite

Hi
    when my baby was small I had read a book from a midwife in London (forgot the name )as per her to eliminate midnight waking up you shud feed your child every 2.5 hrs.if you check ur baby's feeding there is hardly 1.5 hrs gap between feeds so he must not be feeding well at every meal.if you want to introduce the 2.5 hr feed time delay his scheduled feed by 10 mins and increasing the delay time after every 2-3 days every 10 mins till u reach2.5 hrs gap .
    i had done this with my child's feed he used to wake up 2 -3times in the night which became one time after some time and then none
    hope this works for u.

1 person likes this.
  9. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I don't think either of my children slept through the night until they turned 15 months old. I just nursed them every 3-4hrs a night and followed an identical schedule during the day. My son did take two long naps during the day(2hrs each). My DD never napped much(45 mins if I got lucky). I didn't use formula for both. They just dropped feeds one by one when they were ready. I don't think at 8 months most babies are ready to sleep through the night. They are probably ready when they are closer to one. I did increase time between the bedtime feed and first night waking by putting them to bed and then nursing them in their sleep when I went to bed myself.