1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

What happens in a Heart attack?

Discussion in 'Health Issues' started by DrPreetha, Feb 21, 2014.

1. DrPreetha

DrPreetha Gold IL'ite

I request all my ILites to watch this video link,to know what really happens in a heart attack.
    Myocardial infarction or Acute myocardial infarction (AMI) is the medical term for an event commonly known as a heart attack. It happens when blood stops flowing properly to part of the heart and the heart muscle is injured due to not receiving enough oxygen. Usually this is because one of the coronary arteries that supplies blood to the heart develops a blockage due to an unstable buildup of white blood cells, cholesterol and fat. The event is called "acute" if it is sudden and serious.
    A person having an acute MI usually has sudden chest pain that is felt behind the breast bone and sometimes travels to the left arm or the left side of the neck. Additionally, the person may have shortness of breath, sweating, nausea, vomiting, abnormal heartbeats, and anxiety.
    Women experience fewer of these symptoms than men, but usually have shortness of breath, weakness, a feeling of indigestion, and fatigue. In many cases, in some estimates as high as 64%, the person does not have chest pain or other symptoms. These are called "silent" myocardial infarctions.
    Important risk factors are previous cardiovascular disease, old age, tobacco smoking, high blood levels of certain lipids (low-density lipoprotein cholesterol, triglycerides) and low levels of high density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol, diabetes, high blood pressure, lack of physical activity, obesity, chronic kidney disease, excessive alcohol consumption, and the use of cocaine and amphetamines.The main way to determine if a person has had a myocardial infarction are electrocardiograms (ECGs) that trace the electrical signals in the heart and testing the blood for substances associated with damage to the heart muscle. Common blood tests are creatine kinase (CK-MB) and troponin. ECG testing is used to differentiate between two types of myocardial infarctions based on the shape of the tracing.
    Immediate treatments for a suspected MI include aspirin, which prevents further blood from clotting, and sometimes nitroglycerin to treat chest pain and oxygen
    What happens during a Heart Attack? | Health Flicks

2. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Thanks for useful information Preetha dear

1 person likes this.
  3. Sai3A21

Sai3A21 Platinum IL'ite

That was so detailed info. Thanks for sharing DrPreetha :thumbsup

1 person likes this.
  4. DrPreetha

DrPreetha Gold IL'ite

Viji Aunty,
    So happy to see your post that too in my thread :)... I usually look at the sides of new threads or posts to see your name...Imagine how happy I would be for this

2 people like this.
  5. DrPreetha

DrPreetha Gold IL'ite

Dear Sai,
    Thank you dear

1 person likes this.
  6. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Its my pleasure Preetha dear, being a Doctor but so simple you are and you always encourage with your loving fbs. Glad you look for my posts at the side bar, hearing that brought me pleasure, thanks dear for making me feel in cloud 9

1 person likes this.
  7. attentivegirl

attentivegirl Silver IL'ite

1 person likes this.
  8. DrPreetha

DrPreetha Gold IL'ite

Viji Aunty,
    Even if Iam a doctor I believe Knowledge is from experience and that too from elders.Even from 1 yr elder we could learn much..Another thing that makes me respect you is health is not the only field for women: cooking,caring,relationships etc etc many hats of a women from readworthy posts of you :-D You are elder, writes from experiences...so I love it

1 person likes this.
  9. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Thanks Preethadear for your love and care

1 person likes this.
  10. LLavanya

LLavanya Gold IL'ite

Nice information. Thanks for sharing.

1 person likes this.