1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

anyone from the heights apartment in CA

Discussion in 'Indians in Los Angeles' started by PINKYANKA023, May 5, 2013.

1. JustMyself

JustMyself Gold IL'ite

Hello Malathi !

Glad to have you as a neighbour. We live in BRE Alessio, the next apartment and have friends in Heights apartments.After your move, you could get in touch through PM we could meet sometime.

Regards,
    JM

1 person likes this.
  2. meherenow

meherenow New IL'ite

Hi

My husband called up Heights and BRE apartments and they asked to come on the weekend to have a look at the available apartments. But it looks like the apartments are unfrunished with only appliances like oven, etc in there.

So, I guess we need to setup our own furniture. The person from these apartments said that he can set up the apartment with rented furniture.

Just wanted to check if that is a good option or buying the furniture outright is better. If yes, what are the shops in LA area from which we can buy reasonable furniture fro living room and the bedroom.

Thanks

3. meherenow

meherenow New IL'ite

Hi

Would like to know from anyone living in Heights or BRE Allisio apartments, how far is the market area for buying groceries or for general shopping atleast..Is it at a walkable distance from these apartments or do we need a car always.

Thanks

4. JustMyself

JustMyself Gold IL'ite

Hello Mehere,

Almost all apartments in US are unfurnished. Furnished/Corporate Apartments get much more costly (adding around 1000$ per month). So if you are planning to follow the leasing office guidance, check what is the additional amount needed. IMO, buying is always better than renting, if your stay is more than 3-4 months, as you can pretty much furnish your entire apartment in 2000$. You can always buy more later.

Best bet would be to fix an appointment for a day after you land, check-in into hotels with kitchenettes (like Extended Stay America) check out the apartments, sign up lease, get necessary furnishings and then move in, Pretty much many indian companies give you a week or so to stay in hotel.

Options for furnitures.
    1. There are several local LA furniture stores available, who give you delivery to home too. Check out losangeles.craigslist.org (for sale > By dealer). You would get some idea.
    2. If you want to go for pre-owned furnitures, you could check out losangales.craigslist.org (for sale > By owner).
    3. There are some stores from which you can order online too (ikea.com is well known. Target.com & walmart.com offer furnitures too. But they are not as renowned as ashley furnitures etc. It boils down to your budget, so check them out. Please note you would need to assemble furnitures.. easy job.. but just a heads-up !

Groceries
    --------
    ++ Near these apartments, you have american grocery stores at walkable distance. So day-to-day groceries you can buy there.
    ++ 2-3 Indian grocery stores are available within 5 mile radius. You could take a bus/cab/ go with any friends till you get your car.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
    JM

1 person likes this.
  5. MalathiKanchan

MalathiKanchan New IL'ite

Thank you JM.
    We are moving to The heights apartments on March 1st 2014.We shall definitely meet.
    Thanks alot for the reply :)

Let me know how can I contact you.

Malathi

6. JustMyself

JustMyself Gold IL'ite

Just noticed this. Not sure if you are thinking appliances, when you said "furnitures".

Below are the set of appliances available in both apartments
    Heights Apts - The Heights | Apartment and Community Amenities
    1. 4 burner stove - gas
    2. Oven (baking/grilling/broling etc)
    3. Fridge
    4. Dishwasher
    5. Air conditioner
    6. Washer & Dryer - In the community

BRE Alessio - Alessio - Apartments in West L.A. for Rent | BRE Properties
    1. 4 burner stove - gas
    2. Oven (baking/grilling/broling etc)
    3. Microwave Oven
    4. Fridge
    5. Dishwasher
    6. Air conditioner
    7. Washer & Dryer - In the community. Also available in some apartment/flat

Hope this helps.

7. meherenow

meherenow New IL'ite

Thanks a lot JM...

My husband went to Heights and Alessio....He did not like Heights much as he found it a little congested and not many open spaces especially on the ground floor...narrow pathways...He found Alessio bigger, more open and fresh.

He also checked out Park La brea....its an old society but very central to many good markets and shops. Also, the society is very big and has large open spaces.
    Also its near to his office than culver city. and from the look of it to him, well maintained.

Disadvantage is you need to play for fitness club and reserved parking...totaling around 100/ month.

He is now more inclined to move to Park La brea.

Anyone here from Park La Brea?

Thanks

8. JustMyself

JustMyself Gold IL'ite

That is good. Am sure it is better to move to a place closer to work at any time. I think there was someone from Park La Brea in IL.

Good Luck with your move !

9. JustMyself

JustMyself Gold IL'ite

Hello Malathi,
    I sent you a PM with my contact details. Hope we could meet sometime soon.

Cheers,
    JM