1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Veg and NonVeg

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Kamalji, May 21, 2008.

1. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Veg and Non Veg

Balajee posted a very nice blog, and this brought back many memories to me.

My problems started with the honeymoon.My wife is a pure Veg, and I am a pure Non Veg.Our first leg of the honey moon was Banglore and we were having Dinner.She order a Veg Dish,me a Non Veg dish, and Rice was common to us.

As I picked the rice, I noticed a thin fish bone, like a hair, in the fish, and foolishly showed it to my wife.She got angry, and said I wont eat this, order another one.I too got angry, and told her I am not going to waste money on another dish,what if I had not shown this to u.Well I backed down and got another dish, but I was very angry about it.Thats 29 years ago.

My family is strange.We 4 brothers are Non Veg, the ladies are all Veg.Strange.Mom is Veg since my marriage time, Dad was Non Veg till the end.So we have both types in our home.But no one forced anyone, each to their own.2 of 4 cook non veg, the other 2 don’t.Mom goes and buys lovingly the Fish that I love to eat when I am there,brother does the chicken and meat part.And mom tells me when she was pregnant with me, she had a urge to eat Fish, like my wife Harsha had the urge to eat chocolates and Icecreams, so both my daughters are veg and love these things.So I too love Fish passionately,is it my fault ?

Wife is very very finicky, and even today I poke fun at her.She used to eat Kraft Cheese, which I love, as I find Amul Cheese tasting like a bar of Haman Soap, till she found out that it is made from Rennet, some part of a animal’s body, and now she dosnt touch it.Good for me, as that leaves more for me.

I used to get chocolates in Kilos when I used to go abroad, and she would look at the ingredients , and half of them she said contained egg or egg white, so they used to be kept in separate fridges ( I am a rich man, I have two fridges, big ones for a family of 4).Our freezers are separate, as mine contains fish, mutton, which I buy in bulk and eat slowly, like a cannibal.She wont take ice from my freezer.

So when we went to <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:country-region><st1:place>Indonesia</st1:place></st1:country-region> last year to see our married daughter, she shopped around for good leather shoes, I told her, don’t wear leather, I eat the meat, and u wear theleather ! But she didn’t listen.

Most of the things we come across in daily life contain some form of nonveg .these days some toothpaste Ads say ours is a Veg Tooth paste.That means others are Non Veg ?
    Sugar whitness comes from mixture of animal bones,gelatine,jelly,etc.

Even the sugarcane juice that we drink, Is adulterated with the juices of the flies that get crushed in the machine, no wonder roadside sugarcane tastes nice.That too becomes non veg then ?

And if we have to go for a birthday party, I tell her not to come, as she wont eat the cake.she didn’t eat the cake at the Engagment of our daughter, as the cake was a normal one !I have seperate plate for my food, separate cooker and frypan.In fact separate bathrooms too, as I smoke on the pot and she cant bear the smell, so I shifted to the guest bathroom where I am very comfortable.

She too ribs me that in the next janam I will get a smoking and drinking wife and she will satisfy me.But what if I am a Veg in the next janam ! ! ! Harsha dosnt understand that I was brought up in a non veg family, like most of u have been brought up in a veg family, so we get used to the food that we are eating since childhood.Every morning started with eggs and milk, and night with some non veg dish.Afternoons are veg affairs.

Our Sindhi God, is called “ LalSai:” He is shown sitting on a Fish, in the middle of the sea.And Fridays most Sindhis eat Fish.No jokes ask a Sindhi.So never ever give a Fish to a Sindhi, teach him how to Fish so he can eat Fish for the rest of his life.

And I tell u it is easier to please a non veg guest than a veg guest.For a non veg, chicken in gravy, and Rotis are enough.For a Veg guy, u need two veggies, Dal, Raita,Salad,some pickles , and then a desert.Non Veg guest, will burp after the meal and he needs nothing else.

In the middle east, where meat is a way of life, the best way of appreciating the host for the good food, is to let out a big Fart, the bigger the better.The host knows that u have liked the food immensely.I wonder if that can be tried here in India.

In January when i and daughter Rajni with UnCannibal that is Santosh visited Sunkan for dinner, we had our drinks, as we cant ask a lady we are metting for the first time to serve us Drinks, and we expected Veg too.We did not know her at all.But she surprised us with Fried Fish, cooked so lovingly in the dark as there were not lights , and Beer each for Santosh and me.How can we ever forget her kindness and generosity.I asked her how did u know about fish, she said from my blogs she guessed what i would like.So very kind of u, dear Sister, i will always be grateful to u for the love and affection, and the lovely talks we had.Thank you.

And I feel I am gay.I swing both ways.I can eat Veg and Non Veg, but she is straight , just Veg for her.But for all her faults, she is a great wife and a human being.Life would be so boring if we both were either veg or non veg.There would be nothing left to rib each other.

As for having her for the next 7 births as my wife, well I will tell u honestly a different answer.I would like to have different ones each time.there are so many I desire like Deepika Padukone,RS,MS,and other sirens we see everyday.But age is not on my side now Dal can get boring every Janam don’t u think.Your views on this would be very much appreciated.I don’t know what Harsha’s views are on this, but yr guess is as good as mine.Imagine she has to suffer me day in and day out, form another eating caste,she too has the right to choose a handsome Veg hunk.So be it.And anyway we wont even remember next Janam who we were last janam, and faces too will be different.HAHA.

After all was it Shakesphere who said “ Variety is the Spice of Life”.

KAMAL MAHTANI

Last edited: May 21, 2008

2. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Kamalji
    What's going on Kamalji both the friends on the same topic but enjoyed this more
    for your honeymoon you atlast had to bend your back and get another dish for your loving wife........good to know that
    It looks like you have India and Pakistan in your house...........hahahaha thank God that is not so here we all eat non-veg my DS is even more he is with beef and what not, anyway let him enjoy his food, that he can have it outside God knows what type of wife he will have some veggie then the situation will be like your home think so.............hahaha
    cheeeeeee Kamalji everytime you come with some new thing with the sugarcane juice I better stop drinking that stuff........haha
    This is apt said it is very easy to please a non veg guest then a veg guest...........
    How we go out to get fish and chips here that way you guys had fish and beer in Sunkan's place not bad Sunkan I am on my way for it............hahaha
    I am on your side Kamalji Dal is always not good everytime.......hahaha

3. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Aruna,

Thanks once again for being the first to comment.You have set a record to comment first on my blogs.

You are a non veg too.Great.Come over to jaipur with yr DH and children, and I will take u to the best non veg joints out here.

Glad u agree on the DAL part.Can get boring, u see .HAHA.Ask <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:City><st1:place>ur</st1:place></st1:City> hsband what he has to say.Regards.kamal

4. sudhavnarasimhan

sudhavnarasimhan Silver IL'ite

Dear Kamalji,,

In spite of being a veg, you dragged me to your non-veg blog....ha ha!
    i can understand your wife's plight! I really pity her that she is putting up with all this. I strictly don't allow any non veg indoors. Even an omelette has to be cooked on a seperate frying pan and they have to wash the kitchen CLEAN, SQUEAKY CLEAN! ( that helps me, since i can leave all my cleaning also to them!):hide:

But is it common that a veg eating women marry non veg eating men...and so who cooks, if she will not!? I have had these debates here, that i should cook for my hubby fish etc if i really love him etc etc (patni dharma, or pativrata, which is correct, i am lost....being away from india for some time now!Big Laugh) But i say, no way , if he loves me more he can give up....anyway we have compromised in the LOVE area and i let him eat outside preferably when i am not around! he he , so much for Love and Understanfding not to mention compromises in married life!
    So be it veg or non veg.....it is all in the mind and heart and nothing to do with the palate,( it can be plate!) and stomach isn't it!?

But good writeup ....will try to be more regular!Bow

5. dream.girl

dream.girl Silver IL'ite

Dear Kamalji,
    Marvellous writings:clap:clap:clap,Thanq very much for posting.

I can Understand one thing that ur veg and nonveg made u and ur wife more closer with this lovely fight.

Hahaha laughed a lot on seperate fridges,cooker,frypans,bathrooms.

Your next janam´s desire of deepika padukone is humorous.

I am just searching for words to appreciate u ,I really enjoyed a lot reading your post.

Hugs,
    dg.

6. Nivedi

Nivedi New IL'ite

Kamalji,

The Middle East custom seems very dangerous. If there are too many guests, then an ambulance has to be in station, with all that poisonous gas in the air.

This veg and non-veg issue is a big problem in some homes. Mine and husband's are vege families. When I was young I was fond of omlettes. But my mother would never allow it to be made. On one or two ocassions when I made it, she would stand outside the house, far away and close her nose. Husband also hates the smell of omlettes. So, I have stopped making it. While living in Malaysia, we would buy vegetables from the local farmers market. The farmers market took place once a week and there were many stalls selling Satay and local delicacies made from worms and insects. We stopped going to the market as the smell became unbearable.

Anyway to each his own.

Last edited: May 22, 2008
  7. Jaynat

Jaynat New IL'ite

Dear Kamalji,

Good one and written very humourously as always. In our household i take only veg( well not purely as i take egg and my hubby calls me an Eggietarian) he takes all kinds of non veg. He loves to taste the different varieties and relishes them too. I really do not mind as long as he does not force me to eat. To each their own. He also cooks non veg at home if he is in the mood for it. Of course that means he has to wash and clean the kitchen after his work.
    Since we were living in turkey for the last few years, it was a quite a struggle for me to eat outside as mostly they serve food with all kinds of minced meat. They have not heard of the concept of vegetarian and if we ask for vegetarain food, then immediatly they list me menus with chicken and fish and when i say NO to that also, i used to get weird looks from all around and then i get served with platters of cabbage, carrots, cucumbers and salad leaves or just different kinds of bread! And indeed i should say i lead a very healthy existence there:wink:
    With warm Regards
    Jay

8. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sudha,

thank u for coming here, specially so as u are a veg.

My wife and her parents knew that i eat Non veg, adn the whole house is non veg.And i did not mind it too.We dont force others to eat against their will.As u said each to their own.

Wife does cook ,once in a way, as i have maids to do it.But when she cooks, i can make out the difference , its yummy.

Well love means letting the other be.Why try to make yr hubby Veg? Goodness does not mean being Veg.Look at me.I am a non veg and agood and a nice person.Big Laugh

Thanks for yr visit.Regards.kamal

9. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear DG,

Welcome to my blog.Thank you.

Well, this combo of a couple with different eating tastes must not be very common to u all.In my house all the 4 men and their wives are different.As also mom turning veg and dad was a non veg till the end.

But me and wife get along well,and life is spicy bcs of this,otherwise life would be so boring.

Regards.kamal

10. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Kamalji, there used to be only one kind of true vegetarianism. The one that is born out of concern for animals. All the religious taboos are rubbish.But I have discovered another kind--the one born out of a concern for environment. It takes more land and water to rear animals for food and more land to grow fodder for them than to grow grains to meet human needs. Meat production means waste of more water resources (10 times according to environmentalists than what is needed for crops). Thus if you want to conserve water and prevent valuable land to be diverted from growing crops to fodder be veg! .