1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

school and apartment near Wilshire Boulevard

Discussion in 'Indians in Los Angeles' started by meherenow, Jan 15, 2014.

1. meherenow

meherenow New IL'ite

Hi Everyone

We are planning to move to LA (from India) as my husband has got a job around Wilshire Boulevard

We have a 2.7 yr old kid and would like to put him in a preschool in 2-3 months so we need to search for an apartment near to a preschool.

Can someone suggest apartments near to primary school and which has some Indians also.

Which is closest area to Wilshire Boulevard which completes both requirements i.e. preschool nearby and good apartment with some Indians in the area.

Also, can we get away without a car or we would definitely need a car in LA?

Never been to US so a little nervous :)
    Please suggest?

Thanks a lot!!!

2. meherenow

meherenow New IL'ite

Hi Everyone

I checked the BRE Alessio and Heights apartments online but the google reviews are terrible...

Any other good apartments near to wilshire apartments?

Thanks

Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
  3. JustMyself

JustMyself Gold IL'ite

Hello Mehere,

We live in BRE Alessio apartments, and we like living here. The Heights apartment has many Indians, and I have friends living there..they like it there too. Both apartments are just a block away. Please do not go only by reviews, for rentals.

It would be better, if you book a hotel for a week, and visit the apartments in person, and make a decision. Check padmapper.com, hotpads.com, losangeles.craigslist.org for rentals.

Reg car, you may need one based on where you stay. It is advisable to have a car, when you are a family and have a kid too. Pickups/ drops to school, to office, grocery, visiting any places close by, all needs a car, as Public Transportation in LA is not that great. To cross 6-7 miles, I have to take 3 buses, and wait in transit for 5-25 mins, ending up spending 2 hrs just in travel, while it takes just 15-20 mins by car (if you travel at the right time).

Good Luck with your move.

Regards,
    JM

4. meherenow

meherenow New IL'ite

ok...thanks a lot...We have booked a hotel for a week. Need to find a decent
    apartment within that time period...Need to visit the apartments before deciding.

I guess car we can think only after we settle down.

Would have to do with rental car for some time with Indian driving license. I hope that is fine for 1-2 months.

Do you know anyone who is sending kids to preschool in this area?

My son is 2.7 yrs right now. I would like to put him in a preschool there. Is there any website which I can refer to for the same.
    What all documents would I need to bring from India for the same apart from the birth Certificate.

Also what will the fee for H1B holders' kids? Will it be expensive?

Thanks

5. JustMyself

JustMyself Gold IL'ite

Hello Mehere,

Since work for your DH is in Wilshire Blvd (LA / Santa Monica ? ), you could stay in westchester, culver city, Santa Monica areas.

Regarding Pre-school, it is expensive when compared to India, as I understand there are no Public Pre-schools here. Also, fees are same irrespective of Visa, but am aware it is on the higher end (around 1000$ per month) I dont think there is any Public Pre-school in LA county .Hope someone more qualified could answer you.
    It is better you open a new thread, just for this, so mom with pre-schoolers could respond.

What I know is, you would need all vaccination details of the kid. So, get all relevant medical records from your Dr, get any medications of him (even paracetamol) with bills/prescriptions.

Rental Cars - Yes, you can drive in Los Angeles using Indian driving license. Please check out DMV Los Angeles CA website California Department of Motor Vehicles for exact time frame. In fact, after written test, they would give you a temporary license to drive around (for 3 months) before getting a permanent license.

By the way, do your DH / you have any of your colleagues here in LA ?

6. meherenow

meherenow New IL'ite

ok...Many Thanks
    My husband has some friends but they mostly work around Bay Area and not in LA.

I will post a new thread on preschools...that is an important thing to know for me...apartment near the same will be good.

7. JustMyself

JustMyself Gold IL'ite

"general discussions in usa" forum would be a better idea to check out... for pre-schools