1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Need help in stopping cradle for sleep in my kid.

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by anumuks, Jan 20, 2014.

1. anumuks

anumuks New IL'ite

hi,

My kid is 1.9 years old. She still likes to sleep in cradle. If I put her in bed she doesn't sleep properly. She keeps crying until I put her in cradle. And one bad thing is I should keep rocking the cradle.

This is getting very hectic. Please give some idea.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2014

2. TDR

TDR Bronze IL'ite

1.9 months ??? my DD used to sleep in cradle till 18 months

3. anumuks

anumuks New IL'ite

Sorry :p tat was by mistake. She is 1.9 years old...

4. shantana

shantana Platinum IL'ite

my son is 2 yrs in feb still sleeps in cradle for afternoon nap. at nite we just bring him to sleep on bed. after playing for a while he will fall asleep on his own.

5. muthuswathi

muthuswathi Silver IL'ite

Hi
    Once she start sleeping (sound) bring her down from cradle and make her sleep in the bed, but pat her on the back gently until she goes back to sleep again in the bed.
    You have to keep practicing this way for some days, afterwards, your daughter will get used to sleep in the bed too.

1 person likes this.
  6. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

anumuks, I edited your post reflect the correct age.
    How long does she cry before you give in? Does she stop if you rock her or she has to be in the cradle for her to stop crying?

1. I suggest, keep her in the bed when she is really really really tired. She is less likely to resist when she is tried.

2. Or another way is, leave her in the bed and tell her that big girls sleep do not sleep in cradles and that she should slowly start sleeping in the bed. Walk away. She is going to cry. Wait for 1 minute and comfort her but leave her back in the bed. This is crying-it-out method which I am unsure if you are comfortable with.

She has to learn to fall asleep on bed for her to remain asleep in bed. Else, everytime she wakes up, you will struggle to get her back to sleep. Start with my point one and see if it helps.

1 person likes this.
  7. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

Hi OP,

we didn't have a cradle but had huge issues sleep training our dd. The first point I read from sleep training manuals is this - if the child realises that she will get what she wants by crying, she will cry for a longer period until she gets what she wants.

I suggest you first inform her that she doesn't fit in the cradle anymore and dismantle it so that she doesn't even see it as an option. She will not like it, but she will slowly realise it is no longer an option.

Next step, show her exactly where she should sleep. Then at bedtime, follow through. When she cries, keep repeating calmly that it is her bed here afterwards, without engaging with her. As in, don't carry her or pat her or rock her in your arms. She will cry. She will make a big fuss. My daughter cried for 2 hours straight the first night and refused to come near me the next day - she was only 9 months old! You need the support of everyone at home. The first day will be terrible, it will get slightly better in the next couple of days. Then it might appear that she accepts her new place to sleep. It is very likely that she will lash out between days 4 and 7 when it could potentially be worse than the first day. As long as you remain consistent and calm, your routine will be set in about two weeks.

All the best

8. TDR

TDR Bronze IL'ite

you can try telling her that you can sing rhymes or tell stories for her if she sleeps with you in bed, if she likes them.

this worked out really well with my DD, she forgot the cradle just in a week

9. anumuks

anumuks New IL'ite

thanks a lot... :)

10. ammani

ammani Gold IL'ite

my son only slept in cradle till he was 4 months old :confused2: dono why... but after that if i put him in cradle he used to cry...

he is used to bed now (he is 2.1 yr old!)... and sometimes tells us not to carry him (we carry him to bed when he is angry and stubbornly tells us he wants to sit and play late night!! notdonesmiley)

next time when she is out of sight... hide the cradle from the room and dont get it whatever may happen... and if you are using diaper... let her jump around on the bed... my son does that sometimes when he is in no mood to sleep... me and DH lie down on either side and he will be jumping on the bed:banana.. .and then finally will lie down next to his dad and fall asleep!! :exactly:

1 person likes this.