1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

How do you send money to India?

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by vidukarth, Jan 6, 2014.

1. k11

k11 Silver IL'ite

SBI to SBI, offline through paper/fax (not online) has the best fixed rate. Done overnight. It is higher than any online methods I know.
    You need to have checking account with SBI Chicago or NY or other branch.
    If you are sending higher amounts ($50K+), call SBI and negotiate a better rate.

Also for higher amounts, just doing a plain wire transfer (SWIFT) also gets you a good rate. Though you might have to pay $25 or so and Indian branch also can charge you a small amount, but you get the best rate.

1 person likes this.
  2. englishtutorjul

englishtutorjul Silver IL'ite

Xoom.com : Transfers in 4 hours. There is a limit of $2500 per transaction, and $6000 if I recall right, for a month. It is a personal favorite also because of the reason that I worked there. :)

3. Vemala

Vemala Gold IL'ite

Xoom transfer will take 2 days to reflect into Indian account.
    Western union ,Opening NRI/NRO account in india and direct deposit in USA , Citibank dollar transfer. SBI is the best and safe option .

Thanks

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
  4. spm1

spm1 Senior IL'ite

Xoom.com is the best of the three other I used. I never used SBI, so can't comment on that. Xoom sends money within 4 hours if deposited during Indian bank working hours. Also, fixed rates, so you know how much you will get. As per the limit per transaction, it is $2999 , but you can make more transactions if needed, (if approved for higher limit, otherwise $2500 per day). It has daily and monthly transaction limit.

As 'englishtutorjul' said, it starts from $2500 per transaction with $6000 limit per month. But you can always request to increase the limit. They go up to $20,000 per month, but you have to qualify for that, and based on salary and other details they will approve the higher limit.

5. itzmelvk

itzmelvk Silver IL'ite

Littl can you elaborate on the paypal process

6. littl

littl Platinum IL'ite

7. itzmelvk

itzmelvk Silver IL'ite

thank you...I am totally new to this site; need to learn how to rep or rate.