1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

No more Sona Masoori Rice from India??Other Rice brands??

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by vaishnavilakshmi, Oct 16, 2007.

1. vidyasriram

vidyasriram Senior IL'ite

Re: No more Sona Masoori Rice from India????

Hello All,

Yea!! that is true there is not going to be any supply of Sona Masoori till December that is what the grocery store people told here in Bay area. For Sujata atta if you are living in Santa clara bay area it was available in a Indian store named INDIA CASH AND CARRY. I think he mentioned that he will have it again over the weekend he was selling each bag at 18$.

-Vidya

2. Oviya

Oviya Silver IL'ite

You are welcome, dweepa..

3. Kodavati

Kodavati Senior IL'ite

Hi All,

The price of Sona Masoori Rice in our Indian Store is 23$.
    When i read all your posts i notice that the price in our store is comparatively much higher.As it is Sujata Atta costs 20$.I heard that we can get Atta from Hyvee Stores.
    Does anybody know if this is true ? If so can anybody give me a name of the brand available ?

4. MeenLoch

MeenLoch Silver IL'ite

Hello all,
    Swad also has Sona Masoori brand. $13 for 20 lb bag. I think that's nominal.

I read all the posts here. Thanks for sharing information ladies. If prices of dhals and rice sky-rocket this way, we might have to switch to Italin, Thai, Mexican and American foods eventually. If not completely, we can make partial switch.
    Including lot of fresh veggies instead of rice is good. The famous Tamil poet Vairamuthu says that one can keep the veggies in the middle of plate and rice as a side dish...Isn't that something to think about ?

One should make sure that she and her family gets all the nutrients required for a healthy living.

5. ramyanand

ramyanand Gold IL'ite

I thought i cud resort to thai or japanese rice if there r no more non-basmati rice..But it seems even thailand and Japan have also banned rice export..
    The price of pulses(esp toor dal) have already gone up(by $3)in our local indian stores..When i tried to buy 2 rice bags i was told"Only 1 bag per customer"..

6. nabanitapain

nabanitapain Senior IL'ite

Toooo Costly Rice Bags in Stamford,CT

Hi Ladies,

Rice bags and Atta are too much costly cost here in Stamford,CT...
    only 10 lb bags are costing upto $35 to $40.....pathetic condition....
    Will the situation be like this or it would improve...
    Any news please share!!!

Nabanita

7. Happysoul1234

Happysoul1234 Gold IL'ite

Re: Toooo Costly Rice Bags in Stamford,CT

Ouch that is expensive! Sounds like your shopkeeper is taking advantage of no competition and his customers!

Here in the bay area, price for 10 pounds of tilda basmati rice is 18 bucks, Pari basmati rice is 20 pounds for 20 bucks.

Have you tried costco / sams club / BJ's - they generally have a 20 pound bag of basmati for around 15 bucks.

8. prr

prr New IL'ite

wel said MeenLoch ... even m using more vegiies in rice.

hey i have brought Rice from BJ's
    its $11.99 for 25LB bag. ... Carolina rice -long grain rice.
    America's choice long grain rice $9.69 for 20lb bag
    both brands are good ... not same like Sona masoori but stil its good.

what abt Daal prices?... is their any shortage for Daals too or only Toor daal prices r incresed.

Last edited: May 16, 2008
  9. Indrabolt

Indrabolt New IL'ite

My dear Lady,

India is just one country that is prohibiting the exporting of some foods. Both Canada, and the USA grow only about 80% of our rice needs. We of course, are major exporters of grains.

The food crisis, and cost of energy are interrelated.

There are now 5 billion news mouths on earth since 1900. Canada's inflation rate on only 1.2%. This is because were are one of the largest exporters of Petro products, oil, and gas.

This issue also relates to bio-fuels. It takes as much corn to fill a large car as it does to feed a man for a year on grains.

Canada, Europe, or the USA, will always be able to grow rice, but it may not be " Masoori rice". There have been food riots in about 40 countries. Some 50 countries are banning certain basic foods exports. India, and Argentina are prime examples. The American grain stocks are at a 60 year low. Just one major crop failure covering China, India, Canada, USA, and Russia, and there will be mass starvation that will be unstoppable.

Please understand, the USA has only a 20% shortage of rice, but your rice just went up some 50% in a short period of time. What about countries that grow only 10% of their grain requirements. Many of the same countries that don't have food, also don't have oil, or gas. These Problems are going to get very ugly. Food will become the new oil.

Many nations also beginning to restrict immigration due to terrorism, race issues, and medical, and education costs. Canada is no exception. Example:

Immigration to Canada for the past 35 years has been very negative by virtual every indicator. It is one of the largest addition for engery, food, education, medical, police, courts, social costs, and crime. Interracial conflicts were were largely unknown, now exist in almost all interracial interactions, whether stated, or unstated. As you must know Europe is closing the door.

India, or China are not Immigration receiving countries. There is a corrupt double standard. In so far as I know, China has not granted Citizenship to a White Canadian born Christian since 1951. I don't think India is much better. The growing anger is the corrupt " double standard". In fact, I very much would like to know that number of " White Canadian born Christians" since 1951 for all of India.

Do these is relate to rice? Of course the issues are related. India stopped the rice to the USA. Now some countries will stop immigration from some countries. Nor does India treat our exports fairly. India has a " corrupt double standard" on nearly everything. India is a country of 1.1 billion people, yet it takes less than one-quarter, of one percent ( 0.17%), of Canada's Exports. By economics, if India sank into the sea, Canada would not notice. Therefore, it might be said that India has a near total: " corrupt double standard" toward Canada. Canada has been very good to India.

Respectfully yours,

Indrabolt

10. bhagirathi

bhagirathi New IL'ite

hello all,
    I was shocked at the price of rice too. So bought a good amount of Pasta, guess we will have to start experimenting with other cuisines...
    -Bee