Getting a Work from Home Job – 5 Common Mistakes

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by bharthi, May 17, 2008.

1. bharthi

bharthi Junior IL'ite

Dear IL’ites,

It’s about 8 months since I posted this work-from-home opportunity. As I updated in that thread some time ago, my friend found two people for the job through IL. Today, I updated the thread once again and told how everything is working fine for both my friend and the two ladies. These ladies are working 8 hours a day for him from home and he has increased their pay by 50% etc. Read that update for more information.

In this past 8 months, countless people have showed interest in that opportunity. As I helped co-ordinate this process, I learnt a lot about what NOT to do when looking for a work-from home opportunity. I wanted to share that with you so that you can avoid those pitfalls and land a good job for yourselves.
    1. DON’T BE CASUAL - Just because it is a work-from-home opportunity, it doesn’t mean that you can be casual about it.
    Many of the respondents didn’t even take the time to read the requirement in full. While the requirement clearly said “Excellent command over written English (no compromises here)”, a lot of them emailed me using sms short forms. Several had monumental spelling mistakes (spell check anyone?). Several didn't care to use the right case (e.g. capitalizing "I") and used "....." in their sentences. Many had horrendous sentence construction that made the email incomprehensible. I got a few emails where the resume was attached and nothing was written on the body of the emailJ Sorry ladies, for most of those emails I hit the “delete” button quickly.
    The requirement said “Important: you need to demonstrate your written English skills to him. If you are a regular contributor in this or other forum, he will use that as a way to evaluate. If you don't contribute here, making a few well-written posts would help him evaluate your candidacy”. Almost 90% of them didn’t think it was important. There was absolutely no effort made to prove their English skills. The only two made the effort got the job.
    2. DON’T BE LAZY – As provocative as it may sound, a lot of them were just lazy in going after this opportunity. 8 out of 10 private messages I got was “I am interested. Please tell me more”. No specific questions about the opportunity, no effort to demonstrate their candidacy, nothing. Initially, I politely responded to many of them. But over time, I couldn’t keep up. So I just had to ignore them. If she can’t follow that instructions that I mentioned, it is unlikely that she will follow the instructions for the job.
    3. DON’T BE SLOW TO RESPOND – For whatever reason, the speed with which business is getting transacted has tremendously increased. When I asked interested ladies a few follow-up questions, many didn’t respond for 2-3 days. By that time, a lot has happened and the opportunity vanished. A good motto is the Fedex one – “absolutely overnight” in your responses. If it takes more than 12 hours to get a response from you, it gets construed as lack of interest, lethargy etc.
    4. DON’T ASK SALARY QUESTIONS FIRST – For many of them, the only question they had in mind was “What is the pay?”, “How much can I earn” etc. While that is important in evaluating the opportunity, you first need to know what the opportunity is. Initially, ask questions about the expectations, responsibilities, logistics of the job etc. Pay should be the last part of your conversation. When you ask blunt pay related questions in the beginning, it somehow doesn’t sound right and doesn’t set the right tone for the conversation.
    5. DON’T BLATANTLY ACCUSE THEM OF SCAM – It’s true that there are several scams for work-from-home opportunity. And it is understandable that you want to protect yourself against such things. But the way to go about that is to ask the details of the role in an objective manner and then decide for yourself whether it is a scam or not. One person wrote to me in her first private message “if this involves me paying money, please ignore my email”, another said “can you prove to me that this is not a scam”. I felt offended and didn’t respond to those emails. If being a member of this wonderful community, I feel offended, think about what a stranger will do.
    Sorry if I was a little too strong in my message. But, I want no ambiguity on my communication. I see a lot of talented ladies and they show desperation in wanting to land a work-from-home job. But ladies need to match you actions with your intentions. Hope the above helps with that. All the best!

Bharthi

Last edited: May 17, 2008

2. srirangani

srirangani New IL'ite

the DONTs are the exact things working women from home do over and over again. Your information was very useful! I can now exactly pinpoin the errors to other working women that i know personally so that they can improve their experience. Thank you!

3. Shobanag

Shobanag Bronze IL'ite

Welll said Bharthi! I hope that each and everyone reads this and takes away something important from it.

4. Deepanuja

Deepanuja New IL'ite

This is my first post to IL ..... HERE I GO!!!

Bharathi, Thanks for bringing to light these silly mistakes that we do!! We needed to know it ,,, and its best said when the person posting these openings itself highlight it!!

I believe 90% who would have replied to the job openings would be H4 , desperate and looking for that magic door to get them out of the routine of staring everyday at the same four walls. But desperation should not lead to INEFFICENCY. Ever since I joined IL I was following the thread that Bharathi dicussed in this post .. and I cldnt help wondering .. why people were wasting time to post without even checking the start date.(posted first in Sept 2007),,, It merely displayed the attitude of TAKING FOR GRANTED. Opportunites dont wait ,, its to be grabbed ..and its high time we ALL realised it( inclduing me .. cause intially even I was abt to reply it bonk)

5. Mitra

Mitra Senior IL'ite

HI Bharathi,
    That was very well said and it will definetly help ladies out there .As Deepanuja said it is out of desparation that many of the times mistakes are done but it shouldnot lead to inefficiency.I hope definelty these guidelines will help us while pursuing an oppurtunity in future ,

Thanks & Regards
    Mitra