1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Mysterious Adventures of po-j in po-land: Scene 845

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by ojaantrik, Jan 9, 2014.

1. ojaantrik

ojaantrik IL Hall of Fame

Dear Vijayalakshmi,

Quite correct. We are at the top of the world. The photograph from our young days was shot in the year 1991, when I was 48 years old and a regular yoga enthusiast. I gave up doing yoga around 2000 and since then I have put on a lot of weight. My wife never did yoga, but she has a physical ailment that prevents her from doing serious physical exercise. I can probably reduce my weight by walking. But her situation is more serious.

Did you know that we were in Mumbai in the first week of June in 2013? There was a family wedding. I love the city of Mumbai. Let's see. One of these days we might show up.

Love.

oj-da

2. ojaantrik

Dear Kamla,

I have no childhood memories of Chennai. I have visited Chennai off and on though. But never for a period as long as this. We are not even running around all over Tamilnadu, for as Cheeniya tells us, there are a good number of things to enjoy in this city itself. The farthest we may venture out might involve a day long trip to Pondicherry. That's all.

Regarding table manners, I gave the matter some thought. Probably you mean table manners in Western society. On the other hand, I am wondering about the table manners that we have in this country as well. The way we eat with our fingers and sometimes with the entire hand, crossing beyond the wrist, requires training too doesn't it. That too requires training I suppose. The great thing about this country is that we have acquired a variety of table manners. When I think about it that way, I feel truly elated. As I said in one of my posts, India is a country which can accommodate both Mozart and Subbalakshmi.

What more can one ask for? Imitating Mark Antony in Shakespeare's Julius Caesar I feel like shouting at the top of my voice: Here is a land -- find me such another!!

oj-da

3. ojaantrik

Dear Syamala,

I don't know about your roots and how long ago you left Chennai. But whenever I visit a new place, I try to pick up a bit of the language and especially the alphabets. Also, there are sounds that are peculiar to each language. Such as the Thamizh "r", as in the word for banana. Cheeniya is trying to help me learn to pronounce it correctly and that is a wonderful experience. I want to learn more if possible. But it will take a while. This visit, though long, is still too short to pick up the language. In my view, you cannot appreciate the culture unless you are familiar with the language.

Too bad. Life is not long enough to learn so much.

Best wishes.

oj

4. ojaantrik

Dear Vijayalakshmi,

Thank you so much. But no pranams please. We are ordinary folks. All set to enjoy the rest of our lives. We have begun with this trip. And I want to visit more of the country. Next time, probably, we shall visit Jaipur and see Kamal and come back to Kolkata via Varanasi and Lucknow.

Love.

oj-da

5. ojaantrik

Dear Kamal,

We are not too particular about non-veg food, though Sankari does like her fish. There are nice non-veg restaurants as well as great veg places. So, we are eating both kinds of food. Today, we even visited a KFC joint!! I didn't like it particularly, but Sankari enjoyed the food.

Vishwajit and Mala Sinha!! Now I need to ha, ha you. By the way, the picture you liked so much was taken in Japan in the year 1991. I was 48 at the time.

All the best and please get ready for our Jaipur trip.

oj

6. ojaantrik

Dear Viswa,

Cheeniya did take us along ECR to a place called Dakshina Chitra. It is a mini-South India, a collection of huts resembling the workshops of traditional artisans. Here is one such.

DSC01282.JPG

We have visited Mahabalipuram a few times in the past and liked it each time, especially the Mahishasuramarding sculpture. I never miss it every time I go there. I don't know if we shall visit Mahabalipuram this time. There is so much happening in Chennai itself.

Rajesh Khanna and Dimple -- that's interesting. Actually, I am very fond of Dimple. She is a classy actress, quite apart from her looks.

ojaantrik

7. ojaantrik

Dear Satchi,

Thank you for the invitation. However, it is a little doubtful if we can make it to B'lore this time. Our programme is somewhat tight and that includes some writing assignments I have imposed upon myself. I have a good bit of work to finish sitting here and have little extra time for travel. Besides, as soon as I am back in Kolkata, my teaching assignment begins in Presidency University and I need to start thinking about that as well.

But let's make plans for the future. Willl be there most probably one of these days!

oj-da

1 person likes this.
  8. ojaantrik

Dear kkrish,

I haven't seen that movie, but Cheeniya in his milk white shirt doesn't resemble Santa at all. I think I will suggest to him to put on Santa clothes. That will make it easier for me to pull his beard. I don't think though that we would have enjoyed Chennai so much had it not been for Santa Cheeniya. So, I think I shall leave his beard alone for a while. :)

oj

1 person likes this.
  9. ojaantrik

Dear Uttara,

I had observed the Mark Twain think last evening when I read your fb and was wondering how to draw your attention to it. But Cheeniya I see has already taken care of it. I think you are right though in treating Cheeiya as persons 1 and 2. Suits him perfectly. The only puzzle that remains, apart from my number system, who represents the subtitle of the book: Not to speak of the dog. I don't mind being person 3 as well as the dog. Unless you have a better suggestion.

You are quite right. I am feeling lighthearted after many months on a stretch. I hope I can continue to remain in this state for the rest of you know what.

Thanks for that comment on the picture. I wonder if I could have hit the nail so close to the head. Incidentally, the nail reminds me of Uncle Podger (was that the name?) hanging a picture in Three Men in a Boat.

Best wishes.

oj

10. Uttaraa

Uttaraa Platinum IL'ite

Haha! Quite a funny scene of Uncle Podger hanging the picture.

Ruddy good to see you in this spirit! Skol! skol! to have jaunty OJ with us.

What?! No no , I curled my hair, manicured my paws, sanitized my home and bought a lacy tether with garnet collar to play that part; you cannot snatch that role away from me..notdonesmiley