1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Blu ray players from US to India

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by writeme, Jul 26, 2012.

1. writeme

writeme Silver IL'ite

hi,

Has anyone bought blu ray players in USA and taken it to India? Does it work on the DVDs and Blu ray discs in India? The concern is not about the voltage, but about the region specific discs. DVD region for USA is 1, for India its 5. Blu ray region for US is A, for India C. BDPs (Blu ray players) in USA are locked for region A/1, where as India falls under region C/5. Only if the DVDs and Blu ray discs in India are region free (or supports region A/1), it'll work in BDPs from US. Any inputs? Did anyone take BDP from US to India and successfully played DVDs and blu ray discs in India? Else did anyone play discs brought from India, in BDPs here in US?

For voltage conversion, a 220V to 110V step down converter is good enough. But I'm looking for the region-specifics of blu ray players.

Thanks,
    Indu

2. swarag

swarag New IL'ite

Hi Indu,

I am looking for the same information as well. Did you buy a blue ray player from here and take it to India? Which one did you buy ? was it 3D ? Any inputs are most welcome.

3. lucky2

lucky2 Platinum IL'ite

if you want to get one from US to india, you must opt for region free Blu-ray player which costs around $350 or so. when inquired 2 years ago it was 350 or so, it may be little less now..check out Bombay electronics, they do carry region free bdps

4. k11

k11 Silver IL'ite

Region free player is waster of money - DON'T BUY from unauthorized shops.
    US Blu-ray player is useful.

Most people in India buy BluRays from Amazon UK/Germany (Region Free) and some from Amazon US.

Very few people buy BluRay for English movies in Indian stores.
    Most Indian movies are region free, here also many people buy Indian movie Blurays from UK.

Get a proper Panasonic/Sony/etc Bluray player from reputed sellers like BestBuy/New Egg/Amazon/etc. Most good players are around $100. High end ones like Oppo are expensive though.

I have Panasonic, I love it. It can be made region free, but then I realized I did not need it as I do not even have one Indian disc, mostly I watch English movies though.

More than the player take the discs to India.
    I regularly take 5-10 titles on my trips, sometimes even 20 titles. Buy mostly in the thankgiving period for 4-5$, some for $10-15. Worth the money.

95% of the people do not buy Blu Ray in India.
    If you are in the 5%, you can always spend 4-5K rupees for a cheap chinese Indian coded bluray player as a secondary one.