1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Gifts for Inlaws and Their Reaction @!#$%^&*

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by DramaQueen, Jan 15, 2014.

1. zainabsarfraz

zainabsarfraz Platinum IL'ite

so far i have gifted my MIL a jewellry box, pearl bangles, saree, electric water heater bag, dress material, hand bag and umbrella out of which,
    jewellry box and pearl bangles have lost in her almirah without any address:confused2:,
    saree and dress material she dint like the colour though she wears itgigglingsmiley,
    umbrella she carries it to office everyday but forgets to use it when it rains:idontgetit:
    hand bag she doesnt like its sizewhaatsmiley(this one i bought after knowing her size requirements)
    electric heater bag had also found its place in almirah untill recently when her back pain aggrivated and she had no option but to use it and praise me:2thumbsup:.

after all this now i just send her cake and flowers as they are only for a day and if she ignores them they dont hurt me long :)

2 people like this.
  2. manisha036

manisha036 Senior IL'ite

When i was visiting india first time after wedding, i bought gifts for my family and for ils.My mom is working, i gt her a coat and for my mil i bought a rice cooker n a cutlery set(she is house wife). when we took out the gifts, she refused saying that she is having 6 7 rice cookers:idontgetit: and lots of spoons, and asked us to gift this as a diwali gift to her sister. When i visited again, i find that cooker inside my bedroom.
    i dint gt d point, she took out all the household things from my almirah (my wedding gifts from my relatives) and using them whole heartedly. my '' DH'' keeps mum.
    On the other side......whole lot of diffrence!!!
    my mom put that coat on her bday and called me and my hubby to say thank you and told that her frens liked her coat and they demanded exactly the same and this made her proud on her daughters choice, she was very very happy.
    i gifted a small toy lappy to my niece, everytime when i call her, she says Thanku thanku very much , my favourite lappy, i luv u. she is just 3 and a half.
    So now
    I have stopped buying any gifts for ils. when i gift my mum, she sulks a lot:twisted:
    On facebook, there is a cute baby contest, is there any devil contest:idea, i am sure i ll win.

2 people like this.
  3. lucky2

lucky2 Platinum IL'ite

have you evr noticed this weird behavior often at our homes?
    my husband got gifts to his aunts,(my mils sisters)..he got pearls for all four . infact my mil demanded for ruby and emralds for them too and to my surprise, it had been more than 3 years. i still see them in their cupboard..my cosis,sils and mil kept those gifts for themselves.

my cousin too does the same..she take over the responsibility of giving away gifts to relations when her brother comes on vacation but she just gives one choclate to each..this happend before my marriage..myslef and my younger sister were talking about lipsticks and mascara presented by my aunt's daughter .my bhabhi gave entry and asked us if we like the se gifts given by them and we said we alrdy ate that choclate..she said she was talking about lipsticks,watches and mascara..then we told her, these were gifted by someone else in the family but not from them..only then they realized all their gifts went in vain and stopped my cousin interference in gifts section..she still sulks about it.

4. anjivicky

anjivicky Bronze IL'ite

There are 2 types of people who I have met so far (regarding gifts, your way of cooking, way of dressing etc):
    Type 1: The ones who gladly accept your stuff, even if they don't like it.
    Type 2: Those who say it on your face if they don't like it.

Your stuff may not necessarily impress everybody in the whole world (If you want this to happen, you need a change in YOUR mindset).

Try to impress the Type 1 guys. they will be happy with what you are and how you go about, and this will definitely encourage you.
    And don't give a damn about the Type 2 guys. They will discourage you definitely (If you are the kind of person who cannot take in negative comments). Your duty to get them gifts is completed, so forget about it, and leave their comments onto the air and relax!

5. friendlyaqua

friendlyaqua Bronze IL'ite

ha ha ha all the incidents were too good, we get to learn after all these experiences only. Luckily my MIL doesnt say anything, though she never uses the gifts. My FIL makes the big issue, he thinks that he is today's modern man and knows everything possible under the sky so any gift is so "Tuchh" for him.
    My MIL never got a chance to like anything bcos whatever my FIL gave her (his choice) she used it without any emotions attached.
    Only thing she likes is diamond so with the Cash gift we had got for our marriage I got a mangalsutra of diamonds (which she always wanted) for her. My DH told me to get a gift for MIL and gave a blank cheque (that was the last time he gave me blank cheque or CC) and me went with FIL and got this for MIL. And she never removes that from her neck. My DH still repents on the same (did not take me for Honey moon also):bonk. But it was worth giving her (I could see the tears in her eyes for getting 1 thing in her life of what she always wanted). My DH could not say anything as he was in a state of shock.:rant

4 people like this.
  6. Young@heart

Young@heart Silver IL'ite

In our community, it is a custom to gift MiL something on Karvachauth.

So on the first Karvachauth after getting married (12 years back), I got nice gold ear-rings for MiL (atleast I quite liked them).

Later on there were secret discussions within the family (H, MIL and DIL) on how the ear-rings looked cheap and not the weight mentioned, how the design is not so good etc. I was okay on design comment but the weight comment really bogged me down.

It was the first and last time she got anything from me. Now the same MiL is saying that she is looking forward to karvachauth gifts from grandDiL (my DS is 10 now)kneesmiley

2 people like this.
  7. Angiee

Angiee Silver IL'ite

Just throw words softly but sharply on her face, "Oh! I thought it would be a useful one for you! okay! thats fine. Return it back. I would keep it. I couldnt get one lk ths for myself. Better i use this....".... :p .... Do what they do to you. If they indirectly says that they are not happy with the gift received, you can also indirectly tell her you are not hurt but ready to get it back for your use :)

2 people like this.
  8. gurpreetsingh

gurpreetsingh Gold IL'ite

very nice thread :) .. loving it...

9. cheenu123

cheenu123 Gold IL'ite

So far, my MIL has accepted the gifts I have given her gracefully. Moreover, I am also very lucky because she showers me with jewellery on each and every big occasion. She tells me that this is the first year of your wedding and this jewellery will be your support in later years. She gets very excited when I give her suits. I make sure that I buy fabric and color of her choice and don’t ever compromise on the quality. Now, on my first wedding anniversary I am planning to buy her some good shades of lipsticks, nail paints, and comfortable undergarments. If I plan according to her age and interest, my gifts never go wrong J

6 people like this.
  10. gauridinesh

gauridinesh Platinum IL'ite

Yeah, that Is one thing that I should give a hats-off to my MIL. She hasa no qualms in gifting to me. She has bought gold bangles, ear rings, dress materials for me and I have loved all of them. She does not forget to buy gifts for me when she goes out too..I mean, even if they go to a temple - she brings something or the other for me. I feel good. :) In return, I also send her a lot of gifts and she has liked all of them :)

4 people like this.