1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Big Data & Analytics

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Viswamitra, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Big data is the buzz word in every industry now, be it the brand new mobile app industry or traditional financial services industry or the fastest growing healthcare industry. Everyone is talking about big data management as the biggest challenge. I had recent interaction with a company that is focused on mobile app space and the company is focused on mobile app rating and analytics. There are 1.5 million mobile apps in the world now and 90% of which are not even visible to the users because of the way App stores list those apps. Obviously, the one that shares revenue with App stores get priority over other apps. This company not only rated mobile apps but also identified the fastest growing apps by industry and by geography so that ad agencies could go after placing ads in those apps. The big data analytics means not only enormous storage space but also developing state-of-the art programming to develop strategies to go after the users for more business.

Financial services industry also has enormous data of the users and analyzing this big data and marketing to the users is a big challenge. Every company that comes up with dashboards that helps the companies to efficiently market to the enormous personal data are in the forefront selling technology solutions to this matured industry. The latest big data is in collecting patients’ data in healthcare industry. As most of us know, hypertension and diabetics are two major health issues most people face that results in a lot of healthcare cost. Germany developed a great plan to do proactive healthcare that resulted in substantial reduction in healthcare cost and they called it as disease management. Even in the United States, predictive analytics using patients’ care is becoming the key for success of healthcare organizations.

Why is Viswa sharing all these industry information in IL and normally he is very focused on sharing his spiritual or social thoughts to the members of IL? Before this question haunts you, let me get to the topic of my interest. When all these industries are struggling to find answers to these technology questions, my mind went inwards to understand the God’s gift to the human beings.

We have our right hemisphere of brain that stores all our experiences since birth meticulously in the enormous storage space that is provided to us. Then, we have the left hemisphere of brain that has the potential to analyze this enormous data and provide us extraordinary capabilities to discriminate this data for the best use in our lives. We are provided with great capabilities to manage the storage space to keep the right information that makes us feel happy and eliminate the wrong information that provides pain and suffering. Once we learn to manage the storage space, we also have the analytical brain on the left hemisphere that is perfectly capable of analyzing the data and providing us invaluable insight into what we decided to store in our memory. All we need to learn is to develop both hemispheres in order to manage our growth and development. What an incredible developer the Lord is to give us the opportunity to grow by providing the right tools.

Sometimes I wonder when people sit together and think for months to find out the secrets of big data and how to develop predictive analytics, why won’t they look inside of them to determine the secrets? The world itself is a big data and what we perceive out of this world is the predictive analytics. All they need to do is to wake from their deep slumber and begin to observe the nature around us. Russian author Vladimir Megre’s “The Ringing Cedar Series” make sense to me now.

10 people like this.

2. chillbreeze

chillbreeze Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Viswa sir, I've been a silent reader and admirer of your posts. I started reading this snippet with interest because it seems different and to relate to technology. By the end, I was impressed with the interesting comparison you've made. It reminded me to look within myself and around the world, there is so much more to learn..

1 person likes this.
  3. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Hi Viswa
    I agree this is a deviation from your norm.
    Well,
    - someone has to do this work too.
    - Uttara has just posted in the Round Table-Discuss thread about the brain.
    - I am sure there are others who do think the way you would like them to; only you may not have come across them yet.

I am too far away from Data & Analytics - so have nothing to comment on.

1 person likes this.
  4. Viswamitra

Dear Chillbreeze,

It is so elevating to know that you have been reading my posts even though you have not responded earlier. I am truly humbled by your words. It is true that there is so much to learn from the nature and by analyzing how our body and mind works. Thank you for taking the time to respond this time and I look forward to hearing more from you.

Viswa

5. Viswamitra

Dear Kamala,

Thank you for responding to this post. Probably, I did not communicate well what I wanted to say. My thought process was to learn quickly from our own body/mind and nature to get some clues (instead of working months to reinvent the wheel) and I was not trying to communicate that no one else is thinking in that direction. That is my way of emphasizing that there is so much to learn internally.

Thank you for sharing the information about Uttaraa's post about the brain. I am awestruck by her interest in gaining knowledge in so many different fields. I wish always that I was like her when I was young. Well, it is not too late to learn from her how to develop that habit.

Viswa

6. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

1 person likes this.
  7. Viswamitra

Dear Soka,

You and Uttaraa are big inspiration for me to learn so many different things. Thank you for sharing those links with me and I will certainly read them as soon as I can.

Viswa

8. Aspire

Aspire Gold IL'ite

Sir, Interesting topic indeed.

This has been running in my mind for sometime now, if technology is forcing us today to spiritual concepts? or are we unknowingly moving towards concepts of spirituality through technology? :)

Spirituality teaches us a very simple lesson (though at times difficult to apply) "live in the present moment", similarly analysis of historical data in a fast moving world is likely to be irrelevant today :)

Interestingly old data will be of lesser significance in both!

1 person likes this.
  9. jasmine25

jasmine25 Gold IL'ite

Dear Viswa sir,
    Excellent write-up.The way you have started I thought it is something related to technologies in the industrial sector.But what an incredible journey throughout and an interesting comparison at the end..I like your articulation skill sir. Wish I could learn a lot from you:bowdown

1 person likes this.
  10. GoogleGlass

GoogleGlass IL Hall of Fame

Nice one V.

Right data stored in Right hemisphere and the data that is Left to be analysed is analysed by the Left hemisphere.

All this is beyond my capacity as my Right has stored only junk data and there isn't anymore junk Left to be analysed by the Left hemisphere. :)

1 person likes this.