1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

In iowa anyone ??

Discussion in 'Indians in Iowa' started by Parukutts, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Parukutts

Parukutts Bronze IL'ite

my husband new job offer is from IOWA(de moines) and he is head over heels over this job position and i dont want to budge from this place. we have been staying in chicago for last 5 yrs and staying in one of the most comfortable place in chicago ,IN NAperville,the best school district,countless indian stores and restaurants , a couple of great friends. And how am i not supposed to get worried about this move ?? its indeed heartbreaking :(
    A search on this site led to just one thread regarding iowa. are there indians ?grocery stores ? safest and most indian populated apartment ??? Need help ladies :(

2. Ansuya

Ansuya Platinum IL'ite

I'm in Iowa, but not in Des Moines. From what I have seen, this is not a state that has many Indians, so if that is how you measure whether it will be suitable for you or not, then yes, it is deficient to Chicago/suburbs of IL in this way.

However, I love living here, for many reasons (and, it must be said, I'm not that much into hunting down other Indians). Generally, the quality of public schools is excellent. Also, I have found Iowans to be some of the nicest Americans I've ever met (I've also lived in Ohio and Illinois), and the quality of service, friendliness of strangers, and efficiency of government and other organizations is unsurpassed, in my experience.

There is a very strong work ethic here, and my own pet theory about the general tenacity and dogged good cheer of Iowans is that the combination of harsh winters and agricultural background has bred a real "get it done" attitude, as well as genuine neighbourliness and a willingness to do right by other people.

We visited Des Moines, recently, and it seemed a nice little town. It does not have the glitz and glamour of Chicago, but for some people, that's a good thing.

Perhaps you should make an exploratory trip to Des Moines (maybe look at a few houses?) before your husband commits to anything. Moving might be scary, but it can't be any worse than the huge move one must make from home country to here... good luck!

3. Parukutts

Parukutts Bronze IL'ite

Thanks Ansuya ! i figured that out,right now i have a great circle of friends and i hate to leave them all and end up hunting of them all over again in the new place. its a big task for me 'networking'.sure its not goin to be worse than moving from india.i hope to make good friends there which is essential for my mental survival :D or i will go nutss !! i am that kind of person who find great comfort in having friends from india and i am the happiest person if they speak my mother tongue.

well, if i end of getting none,whats watsapp and skype for :) ??

My baby hates her car seat ,so i dont think we will be making any trips before moving in.Hence the request for suggestions of apartments(spacious) and with good population of indians,so its easier for me to make friends.

4. Parukutts

Parukutts Bronze IL'ite

which area does des moines belong to ? eastern iowa ?

5. Ansuya

Ansuya Platinum IL'ite

I would describe Des Moines as being in central Iowa, but it is our capital city, so I'm guessing it's a little more vibrant than the rest of our pleasantly sleepy state.

There is an Indian temple that we have visited a few times, about 30 miles south of Des Moines. So, I'm guessing there are more than a few Indians lurking about there, but definitely not as many as you'd find on the coasts or in cities like Chicago.

Hindu Temple & Cultural Center of IOWA

Governor Brandstad just delivered his State of the State address, and our prospects are good, according to him:

https://governor.iowa.gov/2014/01/gov-branstad-delivers-2014-condition-of-the-state-iowa-is-working/

I'm sure you'll find some new friends here soon enough. Like I said, people are friendly and helpful. I'm sorry, but I don't have any specific knowledge of apartment complexes or where the Indians prefer to cluster.

6. Parukutts

Parukutts Bronze IL'ite

thanks a lot Ansuya,i have been hearing a lot of good things about iowa.hope to enjoy there,heard its very beautiful too.will visit the temple.

7. PriyaSinghvi

PriyaSinghvi New IL'ite

Hello friend,

I will be shifting to des moines IA in june end, Can you please suggest me the appartments in/near indian cluster.