1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Do men see any sense in "Leave and Cleave" principle ?

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by persecutedDIL, Jan 11, 2014.

1. Anitap

Anitap IL Hall of Fame

Hey op,
    The leave and cleave does apply to all Christian marriages. This verse is mentioned in every marriage by the pastor who presides over the wedding.

My wedding was conducted by my dh's uncle. My mil's very own and favorite brother gave this advice to both of us in the presence of the entire congregation and my mil was sitting on the first pew. :)

If Adam and eve had no parents, how does this verse 'leaving parents' even apply to them in the first place? :confused2:

Inspite of so many people giving definitions of what leaving and cleaving means (good one viswa sir. Hats off to you), i am not sure why some are adamant on equating it to unrighteousness or not doing the right thing.

4 people like this.
  2. my2angels

my2angels Silver IL'ite

Really you want Men's perspective so that members here can gang up and then bash the Men? :)

Isn't that the trend here? Ask for perspective and then dissect the response and then gang up against them if their response is not what's expected?

Sorry but I think I will pass. I already replied to this thread and saw the result.

Ciao.

3. my2angels

my2angels Silver IL'ite

I think God was the father since he created Adam. There was no mother.

4. CrayoNess

CrayoNess Platinum IL'ite

One thing that is all the time bothering me. Why on earth would the son (or daughter) or mother (father) cling to each other? Part of bringing up a child is to get them independent. And the child (when in their teems) wan30ts to break free. Why would for example a 40+ woman like to hang out with her 20+ son?

1 person likes this.
  5. Minion

Minion Platinum IL'ite

This is not opinion this is attitude.

"An attitude is an expression of favor or disfavor toward a person, place, thing, or event (the attitude object). Prominent psychologist Gordon Allport once described attitudes "the most distinctive and indispensable concept in contemporary social psychology.".[1] Attitude can be formed from a person's past and present.[2] Attitude is also measurable and changeable as well as influencing the person's emotion and behavior."

Source: Attitude (psychology) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

6. gauridinesh

gauridinesh Platinum IL'ite

I think its a matter of perspective. We like to place the blame on a 'new comer' for any change that happens. I too am guilty of it -For ex:
    I have a cousin bro whom I was close to.After our careers happened, we kept touch - but it was thru emails or FB -not very frequently. He got married. Got busy, the posts grew fewer. And I thought 'he got a wife and he changed' - when the truth was that I was EQUALLY responsible for not keeping touch and the more important thing - I dont believe his wife stopped him from keepin in touch, it was HIS fault.HE was the one that did not email , but my mind conveniently placed the blame on the newcomer stranger whom I did not know.
    If I could do this to a cousin bro's wife - i can only imagine what mother's can do to their OWN sons. I think its all a matter of changing one's perspective.

4 people like this.
  7. cj1980

cj1980 Gold IL'ite

God, in His infinite wisdom (and as the Father Himself), knew Adam and Eve will have children :)

1 person likes this.
  8. arch1209

arch1209 Platinum IL'ite

Yes!!! Now if only that was easy enough.... Everyone seems to be struggling with doing that.

1 person likes this.
  9. nemesis

nemesis Platinum IL'ite

Arch, if you could only guess the intention behind that post of mine!

10. Anitap

Anitap IL Hall of Fame

There is no mother and yet God told Adam to leave the in absentia mother? Why even mention her if there is no mother?

If this is done for argument sake, let us both not waste time. you win ! :thumbsup: