Miscellaneous General Topics

Discussion in 'Religious places & Spiritual people' started by srinivasan_vanaja, Mar 21, 2007.

1. sathya

sathya Gold IL'ite

Re: Origin Of Narmada River

hello akka

i usally have a few lines
    saying how nice the post is
    but today i just have one...

spellbound...

sathya

2. sathya

sathya Gold IL'ite

Re: Efficacy Of Gayathri

hello akka

gayathri
    taught to a few
    now the initiation a ritual
    to show off wealth
    or to get the maternal
    material due
    the initiator with an eye
    on the bill
    teaches for a few days (?)
    like tables multiply...
    with little or no
    meanings
    the children to do away
    with the thread
    out of kiddings by other kids
    not knowing how to say
    what a great mantra
    they have been initiated with
    for some who do it religiously
    it is once again a ritual..
    often repeated in haste
    and yet...
    gayathri bestows...

there are quite a few people
    who have benefited
    by repeatedly chanting
    a few thousand times....
    their material wealth increase
    even if they feel they dont need it...!!

sathya

3. PandeyKranti

PandeyKranti New IL'ite

Char Dham Yatra done by your Parents?

Hi All,

Yamunotri, Gangotri, Sri Kedarnathji and Sri Badrinathji are the four most holy pilgrimages of India. They are referred to as the Char Dham of Hinduism. For centuries, saints and pilgrims, in their search for the divine, have walked these mystical and loft peaks.

In the HINDU RELIGION the holy CharDham Yatra believed to be, the most sacred of all pilgrimages. My Grandfather used to say that undertaking a journey to these places will not just wash away one's sins but ensure release from the cycle of birth and death.

Last Year my parents did CharDham Yatra.I booked one travel package for them.On their first day,from Delhi railway station they went to Haridwar. After reaching there, they checked into the hotel and then, attended the evening arti at Har ki Paudi.

Next day they reached the temple of Goddess Yamuna by afternoon. The darshan and puja followed by a dip in the hot springs situated there. You may even cook rice in the hot water.

Then they went for a full day excursion trip to Gangotri.The place has a temple dedicated to Goddess Ganga.After having Breakfast they drove towards Kedarnath. The temple of Lord Shiva situated at Kedarnath is highly revered amongst the Hindus.

Last day is for visiting the last one of the four dhams i.e. Badrinath.
    Badrinath is known for being the abode of Lord Vishnu.

After reaching home they were very happy.My mother was so excited,narrated me their whole trip at the same time.

4. Jpatma

Jpatma Silver IL'ite

Re: Char Dham Yatra done by your Parents?

Dear Namskar,
    Last year my husband and me went for chardham sometime end of August. It was a great experience for us, fortunately we had a good guide and four wheeler at our disposal and the travel agent booked for us at the cleanest place for our lodging. To be with nature in the mountains, rivers gives ecstastic feelings. Once you start observing nature more revealtions comes to you.The terrain of the mountain changes, color of the rivers are different, similar to human beings ( color and nature differs individualy) , yet all are the same. We learn from nature. Yamuna and Ganga similar to the nadis of our body (ida & pingala). The confluence of the rivers are the place where our nadis meet and diverge again.
    I hope divine gives me another opportunity to have another darshan
    Jaya

5. Padmash

Padmash Platinum IL'ite

hi Kranti and Jaya..

thanks for the topic...and your views....i thi nk many of il will be excited to know much more ...but i would like to know where and which agent did you booked and what was the package cost and how was their services...you can tell approximate cost ....we were thinking to plan this for some elderly people but not yet decided when and how....so let me know

thanks,
    Padma

6. Bhooma

Bhooma Bronze IL'ite

Hi

Though we didnt do the char dham. we did the at Gaya , then went to Kasi , and then proceeded to Delhi-Hardwar.. and then Badrinath.

We had a wonderful tour operator who had made excellent arrangements . Though it maybe considered on the expensive side by some, we felt that comfort was more important ! it was a wonderful experience .

If you are interesed I will give you the name and address of the Delhi based tour operator

cheers

Bhooma

7. srirangani

srirangani New IL'ite

Sera Kulavalli

Hello,

There are 12 Azhwars out of which Andal was the only woman who got married to Sri Ranganathar in Sri Rangam. But recently, I came to know that Kulashekara Azhwar had a daughter named Ilai or Serakulavalli who was also accepted by the Lord. Now, we do not have any information about her. Her marriage with the Lord preceeds that of Andal's! And this seemed to have happened on the Rama Navami and therefore every Rama Navami, Sri Ranganathar, is on a serthi seva with Sera Kulavalli on this day.

But the other version is, Serakulavalli is on a serthi with Perumal on Rama Navami not because she married him on that day - but because she and her father are great Rama Bhakthas.

I am wondering if anyone knows more details about this story. Please let me know if there is a bigger version of this story. I am very intersted to know about this.

Thank you

8. srirangani

srirangani New IL'ite

Oh I am so jealous now!!! *laughs* Just joking. I am on a plan to visit all the 108 divya Kshetras and I have completed only about 38 or so. Badrinath is a must!!! But only God knows when i will get the opportunity to go there. There are another 4 set of holyplaces that are as good - Rameshwaram, Dwaraka, Badrinath and Puri- I have been to Rameshwaran and Dwaraka and Puri but not to Badrinath! Please give me your wishes so that I will be able to go to Badrinath also!!! Thank you!!!

9. srirangani

srirangani New IL'ite

Re: What happened to Agaligai later in Ramayana!!!

Dear Vidya,

Thank you for that piece of information! I have never in my life come across that in the Ramayana. Is that mentioned in the Valmiki Ramayana? I now feel very sorry for Agaligai. :( Anyway, Why did Gautama Muni turn her to a stone again? I thought she went and met with Gautama muni and lived happily ever after.

10. jugnu

jugnu Junior IL'ite

7 ways to spirituality in the workplace

7 ways to spirituality in the workplace

You are a spiritual being, even at work! Use your intuitive awareness and natural empathy and kindness in the workplace and you will be amazed by the way that others respond. Show them that their contribution is important...

Spirituality is not something we should practice only when it suits us according to time and place.It should be cherished and cultivated wherever we go. And since we spend most of our time in the workplace, it is imperative that we take our spiritual values with us even where we work. These values are creativity, communication, respect, vision, partnership, energy and flexibility. All these seven are related, and all are important.

By spirituality, we mean expressing more humanity; it has no religious component or preference. This interpretation is important since each person has their own beliefs, which should be respected.

Be creative

Creativity includes the use of color, laughter and freedom to enhance productivity. Creativity is fun. When people enjoy what they do, they work much harder.

Creativity includes conscious efforts to see things differently, to break out of habits and outdated beliefs to find new ways of thinking, doing and being.

Suppression of creativity leads to violence - people are naturally creative. When they are forced to crush their creativity, its energy force turns to destructive release - their inherent humanity must express itself!

Communicate

Communication, communication, communication! This is the vehicle that allows people to work together. In our society, our learning process is based on learning to communicate with teachers and parents.

So when we come to the real world, this social conditioning leads us to resort to subterfuge - trying to figure out how to beat the system,gain extra favours, say the “popular” thing or to keep our views to ourselves rather than “rock the boat.”

We should change this mindset and express what we feel about without fear and let others know where we stand. It doesn’t matter your views should match your superiors. Your peers will respect you as a man with principles.

Respect your colleagues

Respect of self and of others includes: respect for the environment; other people’s personal privacy, their physical space and belongings; different viewpoints, philosophies, religion, gender, lifestyle, ethnic origin, physical ability, beliefs and personality.

When we learn to respect our peers, we accept their differences. We can learn to use those differences for our mutual benefit. For example, the person who can sit all day in front of a computer and be productive can help the person who works best by talking and moving around. Both functions are important. Rather than criticising the other for being different, we can learn how different people see the world. Lack of respect and acceptance lead to conflict and hostility.

Have a vision

Vision means seeing beyond the obvious - seeing the unseen. It is a trait used to describe leaders and entrepreneurs. Where does vision come from? For some people, it is an inborn trait. They have always seen things that others cannot see. And, having seen the vision, they head straight for it ! They follow their vision in spite of obstacles or non-believers.

Learn to be a partner

Partnership encompasses individual responsibility and trust that other people will perform according to their commitments for the good of the team and partners. Partnership accepts that different people have different viewpoints and beliefs; those differences are used as positive aspects for broadening the team experience.

Partnership encourages the female and male aspects of ourselves to work together, without either one over-ruling or dominating the other. Lack of partnership leads to isolation and unhealthy competition.

Be energetic

Very positive energy forces are released when people feel creative, have the freedom to express their opinions, and feel respect from their management and their peers. The opposite energy force creates hostile workplace situations.

Your contribution to the collective positive energy is using your own creativity, communicating well, having respect for others, adapting to changing situations, working well with others and enjoying what you do. Your contribution to the collective negative energy is withholding your talents, communicating without respect, fighting and arguing with others, resisting changes, creating tension with others and hating what you do.

Be flexible

Flexibility includes the ability to adapt to changing situations and allowing one’s own beliefs and habits to change as needed. Learning to see trends and prepare for them is one way of learning flexibility. Another is to learn about ourselves, our own strengths and our weaknesses.

Then, work to operate from our strength, allowing others to help us with our weaknesses.

BUILDING SPIRITUALITY IN THE WORKPLACE

Verbally recognize the value of individuals in all you do

Get to know the people with whom you work and know what is important to them

State your personal ethics and your beliefs clearly

Support causes outside the business

Encourage leaders to use value-based discretion in making decisions

Demonstrate your own self-knowledge and spirituality in all your actions

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you