1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Fenugreek Seeds to Increase breast Milk ?

Discussion in 'Breast Feeding' started by Sami388, Jan 5, 2014.

1. Sami388

Sami388 Junior IL'ite

Hello Friends,
    I blessed with a girl baby one week before in USA. I feed her breast milk after breast pump in the bottle. She is also taking (formula).My problem is I don't have enough milk. I heard about Fenugreek Seeds,I just want to know
    How to Use Fenugreek Seeds in my diet to Increase Milk, Is there any recipe for that? and how many times should i take Fenugreek Seeds in a day?
    Your help will appreciated !!

Thanks,
    Priya

2. ChitraAravind

ChitraAravind New IL'ite

Hi dear, i advice u not to take fenugreek seeds now as it will cool your body. Your body will be very weak now. If u take cooling products, it will result in vaadham.

Very good ingredient is garlic. Add 4 to 5 garlic pods cooked one in ur food daily.

Drink more fluids like water, juice, milk etc. U must keep your body hydrated so that u will produce more milk. U can try pure coconut water . U can get it from costco.

Eat well really really well. Eat more rice, dosa, rusks dipped in milk, oats.
    oats will help u produce more milk. Dont think about dieting at this stage.

And most important thing, feed oftn. The more u feed the more milk is produced and to produce milk body needs water. Hope this helps.

Cheers and congrats on ur new baby.
    enjoy motherhood :)

1 person likes this.
  3. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Sami, congratulations on the arrival of baby! May /her life be filled with happiness and health!
    coming to your question, breast feeding and milk production establishes itself well only after the first week. It works on demand and supply basis. Keep offering your breast to the baby as and when hungry and slowly and steadily the production will also increase.
    i am not 100% sure if taking methi seeds this early after delivery is recommended. We will wait for experts on board. Don't take too much garlic too as that causes gas for the baby. Anything in moderation is the key.
    What helped me initially to increase milk production was having 2 slices of white bread dipped in warm milk twice a day.
    i think it was at least a month after delivery before I started taking methi seeds. Soak 1 tbsp of methi seeds over night in small cup of water and drink the water/eat the seeds the next morning. I have also heard that soaking methi seeds in plain yogurt and eating it next day also helps.

sindmani likes this.
  4. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

Hello dear,

methi seeds helped me a lot to increase milk production. I can't remember exactl but I took it when my baby was a few weeks old and the amount of milk produced was phenomenal. One spoon (check the dosage on website I've mentioned below) of methi soaks overnight in a few spoons of yoghurt; in the morning the seeds would have absorbed almost all the liquid; I would add more yoghurt -as required for it to be moist; and eat a spoon of this mixture every few hours through out the day.

The website kellymom has excellent information on breast feeding. The best way to increase milk production is to be your baby to suckle on you. Expressing can only get so much milk out - the baby is supposed to be more efficient and hence your brain gets the signal that more milk should be produced. If you have problems with baby latching on, you can check out extensive resources of la leche league. One member in my area was extremely supportive, even through email. If you aim to breast feed, these resources are very useful.

Good luck xx