1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The history of 'bride seeing' ceremony!

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, May 15, 2008.

1. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear Chithra
    Being my vedanta teacher Your timely comment here wil help me set right a grievous mistake.. How could I bonkhave ever suggested Sri is great by default only. (Abacharam!):bang my blunder.. Hope God and Sri are kind enough to forgive me this erroneous zone on my part.. Sri is great as himself.:iagree Was, IS and Will be :cool2: always.. What I was trying to say was the two minds are great together..:goodidea: (no chappu kottu this)!.

Now coming to you Madam I do dare to disagree with you .. netri kannai thirapenum.. also I just noticed I have made another huge BLUNDER..:shaking: Mr.V not only kept quiet focussing on the OILY bhajji but also was totally unaware that his unsuspecting :shhh:self will be subjected to Oats and KOLLU too.. Idhu eppadi Irukku..:wink:

2. sundarusha

sundarusha Gold IL'ite

Dear Cheeniya sir,

A very hilarious post from beginning to end. I loved the parts about the group singing, the water spraying and the tongue-tying by the sojji. Do keep posting about the events during olden times.

3. Ammukutty

Ammukutty Bronze IL'ite

Dear Cheeniya Sir,
    A truly hilarious post.I tried visualising how you accompanied your uncle in his bride seeing spree & how you reacted on hearing the family chorus during your bride seeing ceremonyBig Laugh .I have seen this in few Tamil movies but never knew that S&B were an intergral part of this function.In Kerala this is picturised as the bride entering the scene with tea & passing the tea to the groom with shivering hands & exchanging secret glances.But the fact remains that such scenes can be seen only in movies.I became victim of this ceremony almost 3years back & luckily got "clicked "in my first attempt.It was an informal tea-time chat.
    Enjoyed reading each & every bit of your narration!

regards,
    ammu

4. Lalitha Shivaguru

Lalitha Shivaguru Platinum IL'ite

Dear Sri Sir,

Big LaughBig LaughBig LaughBig Laugh

abba vaytha valikiradhu............. sirchu sirchu. You wont believe siting in my office, iam laughing away to glory and all are staring at me whether I have gone:crazy. better to :hide:.

A nice post sri, ably supported by our dear Naradhi and samayal arasi. I hope ungalai saran adaindhu, indhu mami appadiya irrukala illa reverse ayuvitatha ippoHarhar.
    Your research on S B is terrific. But was thinking the cooking queen will come out with the relevant history but was dissappointed. Maybe no time with naradhi behind her.

Don't ask abt my penn pakkaradhu, as you may be aware my dh belongs to 18th century (that is the nickname I have given him immediately after tying the knot), we also had the same sampradhayam but no singing because if had heard me, enga veetu side thalai vachu gooda padukamatar. He never spoke to me but now he does not close his mouth.Rant

5. Jaynat

Jaynat New IL'ite

Dear cheeniya sir,

A truly hilarious piece which nicely takes us back in time and beautifully traces the history of Bride Seeing.Loved all your anectodes especially the gushing water and singing chorus hahahha...

In order to avoid exactly such a ceremony i refused to have the Bride seeing for my wedding. Told my mom that i will see the proposed groom without all these additional frills and fancies and the Bajji and sojji too. If i like him then they can hold a ceremony as a namesake!

So my mom knowing my stubborn nature made arrangements for me to visit the family in their home and i very happily went with my aunt to visit and talk to the proposed boy. We got to meet and speak in his house for more than an hour and i also ended up eating the special puluo and palak paneer that his mom had prepared. ( Defenitly different from our ususal Bajji and sojji is it not?) Needless to say i got married to the same person in the year 2001. Now i wonder what my two daughters would do... and how the situation would change in their times to come. Your beautiful writeup made me think back to my Groom Seeing ceremony and i just shared it with you.

With Warm regds
    Jay.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  6. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sudha
    Why do you say 'my time has long gone for that'? After all, what are dreams for? You dont have to be Abdul Kalaam to dream only of future. Dont you know that dreams can fly backwards too? Youngsters can dream of only future but as we grow older, the dreams in a reverse gear are equally exciting. I sometimes dream of even the days of yore and watch Tenali Raman and Birbal in action. I dream of Kovalan drooling over Madhavi and Kannagi singing some heart wrenching numbers in the background. Put your dreams on the reverse gear and enjoy yourself!

I am delighted to see that S and B have become a hot subject already with people trying to find their 'Root' like Alex Hailey! But I am sorry to find that our Master Chef is absolutely unaware of the history of the items that she churns out by the dozens!
    Sri

7. Cheeniya

Dear AC
    Taking notes you say? Have you elevated me to your Guru's position? Hope no one is offended by your granting me this honour!
    My DW retains some of the relics of the past in remembrance of her joyful moments. Like the saree that she wore on the Bride seeing day, Koorai Pudavai etc. Unfortunately she has not kept a bit of the S and B or a bottle of tap water that clinched the issue on the bride seeing day!
    The lethal combination of Sojji and oily bajji is enough to make anyone a Dakshinamoorthy for the rest of his life. That explains why most of the married menfolk hardly utter a word! Vish is no exception!
    Sri

8. Cheeniya

Dear Chithra
    Remember the old adage about some being born noble, some acquiring nobility and some having nobility thrust on them? It applies to greatness too and I have already confessed that I belong to the third category. Now a fourth category is evolving. Greatness by association/default is a new concept though it might appear to be an extension of the third category. Whatever it is, now that I qualify to be called great under the third and fourt categories, I feel even more secure!
    Sri

9. Cheeniya

Dear AC
    Now you have poisoned her mind! I am sure she'll try oats bajji with kollu stuffing!
    oh my dear Vish! This is the unkindest cut of all!
    Sri

10. Cheeniya

Dear Usha
    In those days, old people used to sit in the 'thinnai' and chew the joyful events of the past in their minds. In the absence of a 'Thinnai' and since I have a following in IL, I chew them with you! And my God! What encouragement I receive! God bless you all!
    Sri

Thyagarajan likes this.